Blackstar Series One 412 cab

mickrich

Aug 2, 2007
For €200 locally I couldn't resist.
Plugged it in and wasn't even broken in.
I bought it from a guy in a 3rd floor apartment and he probably never turned it up loud.
An hour of punchy clean chords looped through reamp out and it has really opened up.
It's the same size as my Rectifier oversized cab.
Has standard V30s.
Quick test with Jaymz's Deliverance DI pack.
ts808>5153>cab>57>NV73
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2133088/Deliverance_Blackstar.mp3

What's your opinion on it versus the Mesa and Marshall cabs you mentioned in your previous post?
It is still too "stiff" to make a good comparison.
Needs a lot more breaking in to loosen up the cones.
I will reply in a few days. I have a neck pickup clean loop running all day today.

After 2 days of breaking in this cab is fantastic.
Better than my Marshall with V30s, similar with a tighter low end due to it being a larger cab.
As we al know, Mesa V30s are different to the standard ones being dryer and a bit scooped.
The Blackstar certainly sounds more lively with far more mids.
I am reamping an 80s style metal band and the Blackstar suits it much better than the Mesa, but I was recording a Slipknot style band yesterday and the Mesa was better.
I also still have a Marshall MF400 cab that I am not that fond of so too many cabs now :)
Also thinking of getting the EVH 412 cab for my next impulse pack.

In short, if you see a Blackstar Series One cab going cheap, buy it.

Reamp and mix of Daybreak's DWP cover with EVH 5153 to Blackstar series one cab.
I am loving this cab.

This has a really tasty attack. Quite honestly, I think I dig the standard Chinese V30's at times better than the British Mesa. They seem to sit more upfront in the mix and have less junk in the low mids.

This has a really tasty attack. Quite honestly, I think I dig the standard Chinese V30's at times better than the British Mesa. They seem to sit more upfront in the mix and have less junk in the low mids.
Yes for sure. In solo the rectifier sounds better most of the time but in a mix the blackstar has loads of energy in the mids where the recto is a bit scooped. It really depends on tuning and arrangement, especially the singers vocal register and the tuning of the snare. I love them both. I have a bogner 212 oversize cab coming this weekend so can't wait to try it. I will post a demo early next week.

I'd love to hear a comparo. I'm particularly interested in how this stacks up to your Marshall cab. I loaded Chinese V30's in my 1960A too (along with G12EVH's), and I like how forward it is in the mids, but it can get a bit stuffy at times.