Blazing Eternity - A World To Drown In

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Blazing Eternity - A World To Drown In
Prophecy Productions - Pro 059 - 2003
By Philip Whitehouse

blazing.jpg

Bloody hell, somebody give these guys a hug... things can't really be that bad in Denmark, can they? Blazing Eternity would have you believe so with their second album, which sees them moving on from their melodic doom/death of old to a sound somewhat reminiscent of Anathema jamming tunes from Katatonia's A Fair Deal Gone Down with Morrisey on vocals... or something. I don't know, I'm now too depressed to think straight.

Melodic, sombre and delicate keyboard work intertwines with sorrowful lead guitars and the singer's soothing vocals, while languid rhythm work makes the music trudge along at a despondent saunter. Even when things get a little heavier, as in the crunchy introduction to the title track, there's still a tangible feel of melancholy that seeps from the speakers. This is aided by the excellent production, which lends space to all the instruments and allows elements like choral synths and occasional female backing vocals to really shape themselves in the periphary of the sound and add the required ambience.

This is generally a gentle, relaxingly paced album, but not one that I would recommend falling asleep too, unless you want your pillow soaked with your pitiful weeping as the relentlessly downbeat tone of the music forces you to contemplate the bleak pointlessness of your own existence. However, there is still enough metal present in the mix to allow something of a nodding of the head from time to time.

Emotional, brilliantly written melancholic metal - just be careful with the razorblades when you're listening to it, okay?

8/10

Blazing Eternity Official Website (Polish!)
Prophecy Productions Website