Blending one track with another?

deanbailey

O.C.D Member
Dec 14, 2006
Cape Town
Hey, my first post

This might be a dumb(noob) question that could be answered in one reply, but I'm trying to find out how you fade an end of a song into another without a pause? (i've tried searching for it but i don't think its been covered..)
Like on Nevermore's TGE for example.
"Holocaust of Thought" fades into "Sell my Heart for Stones"

My guess was cutting the end of the track (during mastering) and pasting it in the beginning of the next song, But it's the pause between the two that i'm not sure about. Is there an easier way?
thanks

mostly you probably have to combine the 2 songs before your mastering chain, otherwise there will be clipping going on during the overlap.

basicly what you do is:
-bounce both mixes to files,
-put these 2 mixdowns in a new session,
-allign them with the overlap you want,
-send them to the same mastering bus.
-then you can either cut them apart at the point where you want the second track to start or you can split the wav file in your cd burning program

edit: make sure you have no pause between the 2 songs in your burning program (nero uses 2 seconds pause by default if you don't change it)

thanks to both of you.
"which is the best burning program to use?" would have been my next question, (i've heard alot of people complain about nero...)

There is a standard 2 second pause added by burning programs.. If your burning software is half way decent you should be able to adjust the track gap to 0 seconds.. If you are using Nero, right click on the track and change the pause value to 0..

If your using windows XP I don't think you can change the pause to 2 seconds. :( I hope you aren't using that.

yeah, unfortunately. shit, did you only experience this with Nero, or other burning programs?
I just checked Nero, the right click > properties (thanks to --TiMmY--) works fine. :)