Bless the Century Child

Which Nightwish album is your favorite?

• Total voters
DAMN! It's been a long time since I've been on this forum! I basically have been absent from this board the entire summer, and even before that! So how is everybody doing?

Well people, it looks like another Poll. This one will definitely spark up some interesting feedback. I'm sure that all the different opinions will surely make you look at things differently-as it always is when people with different opinions on the same subject matter have disscusions.

Anyways, with the release of Nightwish's Century Child this year and the band keeping their incredible skills and their singer, unlike some other people, (that's a direct Theatre of Tragedy referance by the way) Nightwish stays Finland's best female fronted band! I am sure that there are plenty of other Nightwish fans here ready to make comments about the new (and the old) album. So state your opinion on the new album as well as the Poll.

-Seth

Yeah about Theatre of Tragedy, the guys basically said "Fuck You" to Liv Kristine and kicked her out of the band via email. That's pretty shitty! You should always do things face to face. Email is even worse than by phone! She was shocked when she received the email. Obviously! They basically came out of left field with that.

Anyways, the press statement was something like "there have been many burnt bridges that are beyond repair so we will continue Theatre of Tragedy without her". That's REAL fucked up! Personally I think it has to do with the fact that Liv Kristine is getting married and maybe one of the guys is still "in love" with her or whatever. Or maybe it's because now that she's getting married they feel that she won't have enough time for the band. I don't know what the real deal is for sure, but I'm positive the truth will come out sometime.

-Seth

I voted for Century Child though I'm not quite sure if it's still my favourite...but I think that the songs on it are definitely the best structured ones that Nightwish has done so far.
Anyway,about them all,I was just listening to Angels Fall First yesterday cause I wanted to listen to their softer stuff and refresh my memories of their older songs (though I still don't want to listen to The Carpenter).
Oceanborn is great,a lot heavier than the debut,but I haven't listened to it in ages....well Pharaoh Sails To Orion does rule on the live album.
Wishmaster...that's got a lot of good songs,a few ones that I just can't don't listen to and some that I always think are on Oceanborn instead of Wishmaster. But an album with Dead Boy's Poem on it can't be bad and it has lots of other good songs too.
They improved again on Century Child,mainly cause Holopainen wrote better songs and Hietala's vocals make it more interesting. Perhaps the whole innocence-theme wears out a bit,but the male vocals on Slaying The Dreamer and Phantom Of The Opera sure slay the ones on Angels Fall First (album) ;) Also Tarja is good as ever.
Now I'm looking forward to seeing the band live too,since Marco is in the band and he can handle all the male vocals and also speeches in the middle of songs,he has a lot of charisma and everyone should check out his band Tarot,they've been around forever,though on a hiatus for the last 5 years before releasing a new album this year. Good 80's style heavy metal.

I didn't bother ever checking out Theatre Of Tragedy cause the whole name,their album covers and everything about the band seems so boring...I'm most certain that I won't like it in any special way anyway. No big loss. Nightwish is quite enough.

Yeah um good thread.

DAMN! It seems the KATATONIA forum is the wrong place to look for Nightwish fans. LOL!

TheFourthHorseman said:
some that I always think are on Oceanborn instead of Wishmaster.

I know exactly what you mean. The Kinslayer should have definitely been on Oceanborn! Wishmaster as well, perhaps if the third album wasn't called Wishmaster.

I know, The Carpenter does suck! And they went and made a video out of it! LOL! Damn, of all the wrong decisions they could have made. ;)

TheFourthHorseman said:
I didn't bother ever checking out Theatre Of Tragedy cause the whole name,their album covers and everything about the band seems so boring...I'm most certain that I won't like it in any special way anyway. No big loss. Nightwish is quite enough.

I disagree with you and think that you should go right now and buy "Theatre of Tragedy", "Velvet Darkness They Fear" and "Aegis". I garauntee that you will be good with just those three releases. And if you are into industrial then MAYBE you should get "musique". This album has some major Skinny Puppy influences in there (actually more Ogre's solo project "Ohgr" than "Skinny Puppy").

As for the Oceanborn vs Wishmaster section, I find myself listening to Oceanborn the most (though that might change with Century Child) and only listening to certain songs from Wishmaster (i,e. The Kinslayer, Wishmaster, Bare Grace Misery and maybe one more) and then quickly putting it back into it's case. Oceanborn is definitely very good!

BTW, Bless the Child is actually a very good MCD for Nightwish fans as it contains all their (four or five) non-album unreleased songs (except for lagoon which I heard is not even worth having because it is a worse sounding version of Sleepwalker) plus a couple of new songs and a couple of old songs. You might want to pick that up.

Shogunautz said:
I know exactly what you mean. The Kinslayer should have definitely been on Oceanborn! Wishmaster as well, perhaps if the third album wasn't called Wishmaster.

I know, The Carpenter does suck! And they went and made a video out of it! LOL! Damn, of all the wrong decisions they could have made. ;)

I meant songs like Deep Silent Complete and Walking In The Air more or less. :) Don't know why...

Shogunautz said:
I disagree with you and think that you should go right now and buy "Theatre of Tragedy", "Velvet Darkness They Fear" and "Aegis".

It's not hard to disagree when my points are on the level of "I don't like the band name and the way their album covers look" :p
I don't even have money to buy Opeth (hope I'll see them live soon,damn transport...) or Katatonia for now,not to mention a band's stuff I've never heard :p I'll download some soon.

Shogunautz said:
BTW, Bless the Child is actually a very good MCD for Nightwish fans as it contains all their (four or five) non-album unreleased songs (except for lagoon which I heard is not even worth having because it is a worse sounding version of Sleepwalker) plus a couple of new songs and a couple of old songs. You might want to pick that up.

Well it's a single....I don't see why bands name stuff like DT's Zodijackyl Light or Katatonia's Teargas/Tonight's Music MDCs. There's always one song from a recent album and 1-3 unreleased ones. Just like in a lot of singles.
Anyway,there's a lot of versions of the Bless The Child single. I never saw one with four or five unreleased songs...I don't believe there is one either,but I could be wrong. I don't really think that it's worth having,cause the unreleased Nightwish songs have generally been shit. A Return To The Sea,which isn't on most versions of Angels Fall First is pretty nice,despite its not so great lyrical context,though. Ok and Sleeping Sun is alright too,but it wasn't unreleased for long and they even made a (weird) video for it...

Something that crossed my mind,Nightwish's vids are crap. Over The Hills And Far Away (Note to bands (Evergrey...): Don't make a vid off a cover song) is plain boring,they could've made a great vid of 10th Man Down with a better story. Bless The Child vid is an improvement,but they could've at least bothered bringing out amps and not make it so obvious that they're not playing. The Carpenter and Sleeping Sun just aren't good.

I couldn't get into Nightwish before Century Child. I didn't like Wishmaster or any of the ones before it. I think it was the most aggressive songwriting that drew me to it. Plus the video for Bless The Child is awesome and that song is simply bad ass...

AngelinaBlackheim said:
Yeah.. I don't like them either, sorry :ill:

I don't know why but been a fan of fronted femal metal/rock bands, don't know why I never take a listen to Nightwish :erk:

only have a video (where she is only in a nature nice place, don't remember the name now)

some suggestions please??

I like: Lacuna Coil, The Gathering, TOT, After Forever, even Evanescence :p

:wave: