Blessthefall - 'Hollow Bodies'

Daybreak

Jan 8, 2013
Don't know why anyone created a thread about this album yet. Anyways, you can listen to the whole thing here:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/n...bodies-exclusive-album-premiere#disqus_thread

Personally I'm a fan of the music, and I think we can all agree that the production is pretty insane. Any info on what was used recording/mixing is very welcome, but I'm gonna make a guess and say it's still Podfarm and Slate samples blended with a real kit? Sure sounds like it, at least!

Cool, thanks man!

So from what I see is the usual Sturgis setup... Tubescreamer -> Calie Diamond PLate - > Treadplate Cab 4x12 with Condenser Mic -> What I'm fairly sure is the "American Classic" preamp. Nice.

Adding a preamp after the amp is something I always do, although I tend to use the "Modern" preamp. It just makes it more tube-y and warmer!

you're welcome !
You mean adding after the cab in the signal chain ? I'm gonna try this... Any setting or default ?

Yep, preamp directly after cab! I mostly just bring down the "Low Mid"-knob 1 or 2 DB's, with the frequency-knob set to default, to get rid of some boxyness and raise the "High Mid"-knob 1 or 2 DB's, with the frequency-knob all the way to the left (2.8 KHz), to add clarity. And then raise treble 1 or 2 DB's too. Don't know if I'm imagining this, but I find raising the treble on the preamp makes a more pleasant/smooth high-end than raising on the amp, haha. But these settings are of course very dependant on how your amp is set up, so play around some!

Adding a preamp after the amp is something I always do, although I tend to use the "Modern" preamp. It just makes it more tube-y and warmer!

I actually prefer the American Classic. It's easier and faster to get things dialed in imo

+1

The american classic is my preference. I just bump up the gain and do some minor knob turning and eureka! I use the british one on vocals too

^this, same with Born of Osiris. If you go to Sneap's forum there is a guy with the stems to Machine and wow the bass is squashed to hell and back.

I didn't really care for what I heard of it (only 3 songs). It might just be that I'm growing out of post-hardcore. I also was a bit disappointed with the new confide album and they are one of my favorites. I'm not sure if it is a joey production. It just seems like they lost that organic sound that set them apart from similar bands. Haha wow I got off topic fast.

I know we're talking about the production here but my main issue with this record is the songwriting :/ People forget that having a good sounding recorded is secondary to having a well written record... and all the riffs, breakdowns and melodies here are less than memorable. Light's voice is awesome though :D and joey made her sound like an angel

Anyone know what they used for bass? Really dig the overdriven bass tone, it's really present in the mix but not overpowering.