__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Blodsrit - Helveteshymner
Oaken Shield Records – 2005
By Russell Garwood

BR.jpg

Having previously reviewed Blodsrit’s Ocularis Infernum which was slightly let down by a lack of originality, I was interested to hear Helveteshymner when it dropped through my letter box. While the band are not up there with the Miike Takashi’s of the world (if you will excuse the film reference) in terms of originality, they have put more variation into the music, and this proves a very welcome addition. The sound is still “true” black metal, but there is now occasional singing, a bit more melody, a far cleaner sound and a generally more varied onslaught. It is still heavy, but on this release you see more melodic, and even folkier moments, earning this release its pagan black metal label.

Production courtesy of Nasum’s Mieszko Talarczyk (RIP) is of a high standard, with a clear sound, and well balanced mix allowing every tight instrumental performance to come through. The balance between aggression and melody is also maintained very well, making for a solid release. Helveteshymner still suffers, to a degree, from a lack of originality, if definitely marks a step in the right direction for Blodsrit, and I look forward to hearing further work. Worth checking out for traditional and pagan/Viking black metal fans.

7/10

Official Adipocere (parent label) website