Blood Red Throne - Altered Genesis

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Blood Red Throne - Altered Genesis
Earache Records - MOSH285CD - 2005
By Philip Whitehouse

BRT.jpg

First thing I want to say about this record - fuck me, I love this production. The guitars grind, growl and screech as though things possessed of sentience and malevolence, the drums clatter away with machine-gun like rapidity and consistency, and the bass guitar sounds like it was tuned to the key of Evil, all loose-stringed percussive clattering and ringing nastiness. It sounds like I always used to imagine death metal would sound before I got into it properly - like an imploding neutron star of malevolent intent, collapsing on itself with the listener in the centre. So, moving swiftly on...

Blood Red Throne is ex-Emperor players Dod and Tchort's baby, if I recall properly - an exercise in Norwegian artists replicating the Floridian old-school brutal death metal sounds with uncanny accuracy and an ear for a nasty-ass riff. Throw in some nice old-school effects (left and right channel switching guitar riffs, for instance, or a Carcass-like introductory piece, and you've got the ingredients for a thoroughly punishing album. Altered Genesis delivers in spades. Eye-Licker may have a god-awful title, but I'll be damned if that mid-tempo chug riff with the rolling kicks halfway through doesn't make for one evil groove... This entire album consists of nasty-ass grooves, pinned-to-the-wall intense riffage, down-tuned bombast and gloriously archaic attitude, wrapped up in that aforementioned pristine production.

If you're a fan of the Florida school of brutal death metal, you really need to have this in your collection.

8.5/10

Blood Red Throne Official Website
Earache Records

This fucker ripped my head off, used it for a soccer ball for about 50 minutes and then rammed it back up my alimentary canal! Hands down, the best pure death metal record I have heard for a long, LONG time! :OMG: :headbang:

One of the best records EVER from Earache!