Perkele

Myself
Aug 27, 2002
In Hell
Bloodbath - Resurrection Through Carnage
2002, Century Media
by Perkele

bloodb2.jpg

Two years ago Bloodbath gave us a 3 song teaser of fine old-school death metal, based on late 80's, early 90's Swedish death metal. It was said to be only a one-time project, but, fortunately, they are back with a full-length album titled Resurrection Through Carnage.

I liked their first EP Breeding Death very much for its simplicity, but I have to admit Resurrection Through Carnage has much more to offer. It contains ten tracks of a mixture of American and European death metal, with a fresh sound and definite uniqueness. This album still has the melodies from the old-school Swedish style. Although, you can find the dry brutality of music that is characteristic of American death metal; speeding up from mid-tempos to grinding madness. Mike's guttural vocals are even more raw than on their EP. They're powerful, massive and dirty, giving a real death feeling to the album. The guitar work has changed a lot as well. Sicker and heavier riffs go hand in hand with a perfectly created sound, and the result is killer. Dirty, rough, and beastly heaviness became their music. Every song is a nice piece of death metal; showing the different, varied sides of the style. You can also feel their own influences, and, of course, they brought something into Bloodbath from their main bands as well. They've managed to produce music that sounds new and fresh. The whole album could stand its place in the early days of death metal, as well as finding its place now. Their music is like a tribute to all the great bands who started to play death metal, but they've put it on a higher level. On the other hand, it's really Bloodbath's own music. Creating music that meets the requirements of the passing years shows the talents these musicians in Bloodbath have.

The album starts with 'Ways to the Grave', which is like a storm swooping down on the listener. It's followed by another raging death metal attack - 'So You Die' - with cool gutiar solos and a memorable melody in the refrain. Try to imagine as Mikeal growls 'I show no mercy..', with the slowed down guitar riffs in the background. Definitely one of the better moments on the album. 'Mass Strangulation' is a slower piece with a constant, monotone guitar in the background; reminding me of a grumbling animal. 'Death Delirium' has a very nice, darkly emotional intro before it turns into a more typical death metal song. The guitars will catch your attention again and again, just like in 'The Soulcollecter'. 'Buried by the dead' is a mid tempo song, but again the guitars are awesome and 'Trail of Insects' also has a thrilling guitar solo around the middle of the song. In 'Bathe in Blood', there is a slower part that makes the song heavier and darker. 'Like Fire' is a musical highlight again for those who like melodic but brutal, heavy music. In this song you can feel their strong Swedish style (hurray!). 'Cry My Name' closes the album, just to make sure you won't stop headbanging. Because you can't help headbanging while you are listening to it. The catchy, but still heavy, melodies exchanging with the faster death metal part in this last song provide the final energy for you. Simply put, an amazing song.

It's a complete death metal album where you can find a sufficient amount of every death metal ingredient. Listening once will only make you want more and more. Sometimes dark and sometimes evil atmospheres float around the album, but it keeps its brutality all along.

At the end, I must mention Mikael's vocals again. His growlings are exactly the vocals that give you goosebumps, but also makes you feel the evil inside. There are not many vocalists out there who can really play with your feelings and instincts, and especially not in this genre - but Mikeal Åkerfeldt is one of them.

I think in a few years, this album will be put among the classic albums.

Tracklist:
1. Ways to the Grave
2. So You Die
3. Mass Strangulation
4. Death Delirium
5. Buried by the Dead
6. The Soulcollector
7. Bath in Blood
8. Trail of Insects
9. Like Fire
10. Cry My Name

Length: 41:02