Bloodbath-Review in german

so guys and girls, this is the announced translation, finally. I hope you like it and have some mercy with my not-so-perfect english.
Siria a.k.a. fireangel. :)

"Bloodbath is an All-Star-Project, which consists of members from some swedish bands. Their main focus was, to create a raw, dark album, which mirrors the Death-Metal-feeling in the beginning of the 1990s - no paraphernalia, just pure old school. Definitely Mikael Åkerfeldt (voc, Opeth), Anders Nyström a.k.a. Blakkheim (g), Jonas Renkse (b) (both Katatonia) and drummer Dan Swanö (so, where to put Dan Swanö with his uncountable projects? There is Unicorn, Infestdead, Nightingale etc., but widely known is surely Edge Of Sanity, where he treated the microphone) reached the required standard without the slightest problems.

Not that the band-members would have problems to fill in some spare time, but just for fun the previous EP "Breeding Death" was nailed, and since then fans besiege the messageboards and beg continuously for more. The interesting point of that is, in spite of new developments and ramifications in Death Metal or the diversification of classical Stockholm-sound, the need for pure Old School Metal does not stop. And especially the ones, who where in the scene "back then" are the right persons to turn back the wheel of time, but at the same time contributing all their experiences and knowledge in order to celebrate Death Metal in its first-class-retro version. And that means, to quote some lyrics, "no mercy".

In a chat with fans, I got the opportunity to ask Dan Swanö a question:

Siria: "How was the atmosphere and surrounding for the Bloodbath-recording?"
Dan: "The Bloodbath-recording was a lot of fun. I just can`t stop laughing when Mike/Anders & Jonas team up. The bad jokes are endless. The drumrecording was a pain, but that is because I tend to demand more and more of myself and get worse and worse at performing the drums (I never practise!)."

The line-up for Bloodbath got together a bit accidentally. It was more like a hobby of the Katatonia-guys, especially of Blakkheim. He was looking for a possibility to realize some different ideas, not the same as current Katatonia-sound; to have a side-project, which was not as deadly serious as the main band. So one day Dan Swanö, who during the last years took some break from the very dark stuff, felt "this urge to play death metal again" (www.metalupdate.com). He called his friends, and the project was, as Century Media threw a record deal at them, burned on CD. But if one searches more carefully, one finds out that the tale of Bloodbath started much earlier. The first record, for which all the members worked together (officially), is 1996`s Katatonia-CD, "Brave Murder Day". There were guest-vocals of Mikael Åkerfeldt, with soundengineer Mr. Dan Swanö, and the whole thingie was recorded at Sunlight-Studios.

"Resurrection Through Carnage" though does not sound like an EOS-resurrection with original line-up, it sounds even better. Dan thinks Mike´s growling sounds just phantastic, and he himself is drumming with an enormous groove. This result comes from a combination of very different methods: Mikael got a handheld-microphone and was asked to work as pure as possible to have vocals with a "bestial flavour", on the opposite all drumparts were recorded a couple of times and also edited afterwards.

"Ways To The Grave" is a good opener to bring back the mentioned 90`s feeling. Some nearly Black-Metal blastparts alternate with a catchy chorus. There is no doubt that the beasts are set free now. "So You Die" represents mercyless demoliton work and "Mass Strangulation" is not really less dangerous. Especially I like the incredible dynamic which is spread by Jonas, Anders and Dan, and from this basis arises Mikael´s voice, sounding like incorporation of evil.

"Buried By The Dead" & "Bathe In Blood" are my favourite songs, containing many changes between doomy and fast speed. Especially "Bathe In Blood" has a very special atmosphere due to one can nearly sing along with the chorus, but the verses erase everything and everybody still alive. "Cry My Name", representing the last dance, at the same time is the most melodic track of the butcher-album and contains some riffs remembering me of Arch Enemy.

To have it all very authentic, some old equipment was collected, for example a pedal, which gave a chainsaw-sound to the guitar. These efforts were connected with the idea of having a production that equals Sunlight-Studiosound of 1991, where for example Entombed and Katatonia (during their death-metal-phase) recorded some milestones. But in my view, the Bloodbath-production sounds, no matter if they were aware of that or not, much better than productions from the beginning of the 90´s. It should not be compared to the very similar sounding Edge Of Sanity. Bloodbath 2002 profits from a very good recording and production, which lets the retro-songs sparkle even brighter. Additionally the band decided for audible lyrics, which gave the record some more energy and in the end spreads far more "evil & dangerous"-atmosphere than simple noise plus growls which no-one understands without lyrics. "Resurrection Through Carnage" is a burning star, and its radiance banishes everything else around into eternal darkness. So there is one thing for sure: the fans will start begging on their knees for another album soon."

Sources:
http://www.digitalmetal.com
http://www.metalupdate.com
http://www.seismicradio.com: Chat with Dan Swanö at 08.12.02
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=69

original german version published at http://www.konzi-tip.de by Siria