Bloodbath shirt controversy

Nerve

Record Collector
Aug 1, 2006
The Great Cold Distance
I wanted to share this with you. Maybe it's old news, but I spent something like 20 minutes to laugh alone while reading it.

We have just learned that our latest shirt design (front, back) has run into some controversy. Actually, It’s been a bit of a rocky road from the start with this one. Back at the sketch board, some of our art direction ideas were met by hesitation and according to the designer would feel “uncomfortable to do”. However, the design went through and obviously with such a fantastic piece of artwork and beautiful symbolism the t-shirt has hit home with Bloodbath’s audience all over the world, but apparently a demon vomiting on Jesus on a cross, surrounded by snakes, vultures and skulls was over the line for some confused ” death metal” fans. Perhaps they should ask themselves if it was really death metal they were searching for in the first place. Here are examples of some Dr Phil approved quotes we recieved:

“Recently saw your t-shirt “Mock The Cross.” It seems rather childish and immature not to mention very dangerous, to ridicule Christ. Why such disdainment for the incarnate God who died to save all mankind, even your sorry asses! If you have a problem with organized religion that’s one thing. It has little to do with Christ and His life and teachings. Of course if you curse Him in apparent ignorance, then you wouldn’t know the difference. Hell won’t be a cool place to be. The power of the cross is foolishness to those perishing.”

“I Don’t care about all the satan woreshippers that are gonna flame me. But, BloodBath YOU JUST LOST A FAN. On that degrading shirt. I believe what i believe. I rather not have bands mock it. This band is done. Never again. See you on judgment day.”

To top it off, we also just recieved the following message from Raw Talent, the printer of the merchandise:

“I have just been informed by the owner of the company that unfortunately we will not be able to print the “mock the cross” design again for you guys. It is against the owner’s moral and ethical standard for himself and also for the company. He wanted me to let you know and to send his apologies.”

With that said, let’s get the weak aside and the Bloodbath choir ready to mock the fucking cross again as we moved on to a new printer for our latest over the top ‘Iesous’ shirt design. Original artwork by Alex Norman features a detailed drawing of a dead Jesus with a crown of thorns and blind eyes, bleeding crosses in the background on both sides, and his hair engulfing skulls and the Bloodbath logo. The back features a cross dripping in blood with the lyrics: “Eeso Yeshua Iesous Die by Our Rage”. The design was also printed using a technique which results in the ink becoming one with the fabric, creating a soft vintage look and feel. Not a shirt to miss, grab one now!"

Bloodbath.biz

i think Bloodbath is making a big deal of this, i'm pretty sure there are many bands that get complains from jesuslovers about much worse imagery in their albums/shirts/whatever

Vikk is right. The number of times I've seen Christians blowing smoke on Dimmu's MySpace page, spouting off Bible quotes and proclaiming that they're going to regret their ways when they're burning in hell, are innumerable. And I'm quite sure Cradle of Filth had protesters making picket lines wherever they were after the infamous Jesus is a Cunt t-shirt.

As a Christian, I really don't care about what Bloodbath - or any band, for that matter - puts on their shirts. I take an approach to my faith that's a bit more open-minded than some of the people above. What these bands choose to say in their songs and put on their t-shirts isn't my business. It doesn't change what I believe. I think some of the people who complained should learn that as well.

Passion of the Christ was bloodier and made Jesus look like a wimp. Back then, J-Homez built houses and garages, and made people get on their knees to hear his stories. Like mother fucking Dr. Suess he was, an inspiration to all of us who liked story time.

I will never forget the day I was at my drummer's house and this album was on the kitchen table and his old mother picked it up and said in the most hilariously stereotypical Jewish lady voice..

"ohh gaawwd Daniel! You are lucky we are Jewish!"
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

VitalRemainsIconsOfEvilFinalversion.jpg

What these bands choose to say in their songs and put on their t-shirts isn't my business.

But you still buy the records and listen to it? (I don't know if you listen to bands with satanic lyrics at all).
I know , few metalheads care about lyrics and stuff but a christian who doesn't care about satanic lyrics in the music he/she listens to seems to be the same as a punk listening to nsbm or rechtsrock

I will never forget the day I was at my drummer's house and this album was on the kitchen table and his old mother picked it up and said in the most hilariously stereotypical Jewish lady voice..

"ohh gaawwd Daniel! You are lucky we are Jewish!"
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

VitalRemainsIconsOfEvilFinalversion.jpg

Somehow this album cover magically appeared as the background of our school pc (christian school pc!)
Thanks AlexiDime :lol: :rolleyes:

Funny things is that the title and lyrics of the song weren't enough to put them off, they needed an illustration to realize what the song is about.

But you still buy the records and listen to it? (I don't know if you listen to bands with satanic lyrics at all).
I know , few metalheads care about lyrics and stuff but a christian who doesn't care about satanic lyrics in the music he/she listens to seems to be the same as a punk listening to nsbm or rechtsrock

I haven't bought any albums, no, but I do listen to it. And it's not that I don't care about the lyrics. It's more about the fact that I've read the lyrics to the song, and they don't affect me. Sure, they are kind of disturbing, but like I said in my first post, I know that listening to those songs isn't going to change my faith or make me think differently my beliefs. I'm strong enough in that aspect of life that I don't feel the need to worry about it. It's more about the music for me than the lyrics.

Also, the thing that really convinced me that I could listen to black metal and not be bothered by it was the first black metal song I listened to a lot, "The Sacrilegious Scorn" by Dimmu Borgir. If you take the title of the song out of the picture and only look at the lyrics, about 95% of the lyrics aren't directly anti-religious, and could also even be found in a Christian metal song. It reminded me of something I heard once - that the struggle between Satan and God, religion and atheism, really all comes down to the heart of each person who deals with that struggle every day.

tl;dr version: My faith is not bothered by black metal, as I said before, because the whole struggle of faith is not really between God and Satan, but really is internal to each individual person.

First: I like Black Metal music and I like the sound of the voices even if i dont understand what the vocalist sings.

This whole anti christian thing is totally absurd. It's more that everyone thinks: OH I'm so fucking true and against the whole world so fuck Christianity. Since in metal are as much dumb people as in any other genre they try to be as genre typical as possible. Some think they have to wear mjölnirs and pretend to believe in Odin but they no shit about their "pagan religion". Others pretend to be true Mayhem fans but are pacifists. Imo it's just the desperate try to get some attention and to polarise to get more famous.

The funny thing is you can sing as much as you want against Christianity, sing one word against Jews and you're are a nazi and your music will be forbidden. Everyone seems to forget that the only big difference between them is the lack of a Messiah.

short version: Believe in what you want but let others do their own thing.

First: I like Black Metal music and I like the sound of the voices even if i dont understand what the vocalist sings.

This whole anti christian thing is totally absurd. It's more that everyone thinks: OH I'm so fucking true and against the whole world so fuck Christianity. Since in metal are as much dumb people as in any other genre they try to be as genre typical as possible. Some think they have to wear mjölnirs and pretend to believe in Odin but they no shit about their "pagan religion". Others pretend to be true Mayhem fans but are pacifists. Imo it's just the desperate try to get some attention and to polarise to get more famous.

The funny thing is you can sing as much as you want against Christianity, sing one word against Jews and you're are a nazi and your music will be forbidden. Everyone seems to forget that the only big difference between them is the lack of a Messiah.

short version: Believe in what you want but let others do their own thing.

This post is neglible for two reasons:

1. It's not Black Metal, and making the assumption that Anti-Christian immediately = Black Metal is ridiculous.

2: "Believe in what you want but let others do their own thing." Exactly, making a shirt that expresses anti-christian values isn't preventing anyone from practising christianity, if someone wants to express their views on a corrupt and hypocritical religion through songwriting or shirt designs, let them, because you should "let others do their own thing".

Think before you post.

This post is neglible for two reasons:
1. It's not Black Metal,
Sorry but I'm not only referring to the first post. maybe I should write it next time so you will notice it. The term black metal has been mentioned 3 times before.

and making the assumption that Anti-Christian immediately = Black Metal is ridiculous.
Finding this assumption in my post is even more ridiculous

2: "Believe in what you want but let others do their own thing." Exactly, making a shirt that expresses anti-christian values isn't preventing anyone from practising christianity, if someone wants to express their views on a corrupt and hypocritical religion through songwriting or shirt designs, let them, because you should "let others do their own thing".

Think before you post.

Sorry but believe in anti-christianity is no believe. Furthermore tell me where's the critic in a shirt with a demon vomiting on Jesus on a cross? Where's the sense in it? What does it criticize?