Bloodbath - The Fathomless Mastery / Unblessing The Purity

fade_2_black

Apr 11, 2006
www.keirlefoh.com
These two releases sound fucking INCREDIBLE.

Such a comparatively natural sound for a death metal band. Drums sound fat and simply put, real. Guitars and bass are chunky as fuck too. Layering is pure class. Unreal. Vocals sit perfectly in the mix and vocal effects range from subtle to in your face, but never overbearing or out of taste.

Any idea on what gear was used for these releases? I've searched far and wide but to no avail.. Extremely interested in guitar tone..

Thanks in advance!

The guitar tone is top secret. I'm friends with several guys involved and they're very hush hush.
David Castillo did the production on both (he's a former Jens Bogren employee and Katatonia's FOH's guy for years). He's both very cool and very talented.

Can't tell if srs so I'll just go out on a limb...

The foundation for that guitar sound is the one and only BOSS HM-2 Heavy Metal pedal.

Have you ever made a Hm-2 sound like that? It doesn't sound like anything I've gotten out of mine, or anything I've heard anyone else do. Not saying that a HM-2 wasn't involved, but it definintly isn't as easy as plugging one in and rawk. That's the mystery of the tone, IMO.

I know an HM-2 was used on Resurrection Through Carnage but I really don't think the Fathomless Mastery tone sounds like an HM-2. I've got an old HM-2, might give it another hoon. Never ever got anything I thought sounded half decent..

Use the HM-2 as a boost (I boost my 5150 > Mesa OS). Dist all the way down and turn down the volume a tad on the guitar. Low like 12 oclock and High between 3 and 4 oclock.

I have to say...

I don't like death metal at all usually, but after reading this thread and watching Hades Rising - man... that last guitar solo and outro are amazing!

Of course, then I realised who the singer was ha ha.

I agree - the guitars, drums, vocals all sound so natural and fantastic.

Great album, musically. One of my favourites in recent times.

Surprised to hear all this love for the aesthetics of the record though. I've got a friend who literally can't stand to listen to it because the mids offend him so much. I'm not too far behind, but fortunately the music helps overcome it.

Great album, musically. One of my favourites in recent times.

Surprised to hear all this love for the aesthetics of the record though. I've got a friend who literally can't stand to listen to it because the mids offend him so much. I'm not too far behind, but fortunately the music helps overcome it.

Maybe that's it - I'm a rock guy normally, and it's all about the midrange for me. :err:

The guitar tone is pure aweseomesauce. The HM-2 was definitely used for Resurrection Through Carnage and Nightmares Made Flesh. (Source: here)

Also found these quotes from Dan Swano (Referring to Nightmares Made Flesh and RTC albums):

The sound was created using a BOSS HM-2 into a Marshall DSL50 50W head and a 4X12" Marshall cabinet. Jens miked it with a bunch of different mikes. SM57, Royer ribbon and AKG 414, might have been a MD421 there too, or a U87..don´t remember. he blended all those onto one track and tracked that.

RTC was a bit weirder. I used a HM-2 into a Digitech GNX2 preamp. I used the Marshall-amp and Speakeremulation. Later on I used the Free Filter plug-in to "rip" the guitartone EQ from Left Hand Path (using the Intro from "Drowned") and applied that to my own "try". It turned out really broken and like a chainsaw ear fuck!!! Just the way I wanted it!!

Howdy. The best EQ ripper at the moment is Voxengo Curve EQ. 60 bands of stealing nice curves!! I just ripped off the Clandestine guitarsound for Entrails and it sounds so close it is spooky Cannot play with it inserted though, it adds tons of latency :/

(Source)

I'm glad Dan is nice enough to answer his fans. :) :kickass:

I always wanted to get an HM-2 through it in front of an amp and try and blend it in with another guitar track. Have some of the dirty buzzsaw for edge and some body but keep the foundation from another more traditional guitar sound. That's what I always imagined was happening with these two albums. I feel like I hear the HM-2 but it can't in any way be sitting on its own in front of an amp. What amps were used, I have no clue but my money is on the HM-2 involved in one way or another for the rhythms but I'd love to know.

I don't get all of these secrets guys hold onto because when you add all of the elements of players hands, mic placement, room, pickup, etc - then how it fits in the mix, I don't think it could ever be duplicated as whole. Close maybe but never the same. That's probably just the jealousy speaking because I love the uniqueness of the tone. :)

I think it sounds good and kinda like a HM-2 into Marshall mixed with a Recto. Gotta say that the production on NMF kills this one, even though one can argue that TFM sounds rather... unique?

I think it sounds good and kinda like a HM-2 into Marshall mixed with a Recto. Gotta say that the production on NMF kills this one, even though one can argue that TFM sounds rather... unique?

Close. As I quoted Dan Swano above, "The sound was created using a BOSS HM-2 into a Marshall DSL50 50W head and a 4X12" Marshall cabinet"

I seem to remember hearing it was HM-2 through a Mr Hector? no.....?
Sounds fucking sick though, easily their best two releases musically and production wise.

Of course, then I realised who the singer was ha ha.

He didn't have anything to do with writing the music AFAIK

I seem to remember hearing it was HM-2 through a Mr Hector? no.....?
Sounds fucking sick though, easily their best two releases musically and production wise.

He didn't have anything to do with writing the music AFAIK

Oh yeah - I didn't mean anything by it... only that it was a nice surprise as I'm digging Opeth at the moment, and didn't know about Bloodbath. :Spin: