BLOODBATH: 'The Fathomless Mastery' First-Week Sales Revealed

Jan 4, 2006
Stockholm
Taken from blabbermouth.net

"The Fathomless Mastery", the new studio album from the Swedish death metal "supergroup" BLOODBATH, sold around 1,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release, according to Nielsen SoundScan. The CD debuted at No. 45 on the Top New Artist Albums (Heatseekers) chart, which lists the best-selling albums by new and developing artists, defined as those who have never appeared in the Top 100 of The Billboard 200.

In other news, BLOODBATH, is preparing to film a promotional video for one of the tracks off "The Fathomless Mastery". More information will be made a vailable soon.

"The Fathomless Mastery" was previously described by the band as representing "nothing but hateful brutality." Promising its "most crushing production yet," the group's lineup on "The Fathomless Mastery" is the same as that on BLOODBATH's "Unblessing the Purity" mini-CD, which came out in March:

Mikael Åkerfeldt (OPETH) - Vocals
Martin "Axe" Axenrot (OPETH) - Drums
Anders "Blakkheim" Nyström (KATATONIA) - Guitar
Jonas Renkse (KATATONIA) - Bass
Per "Sodomizer" Eriksson (ex-21 LUCIFERS, GENOCRUSH FEROX) – Guitar

BLOODBATH released a live CD/DVD digipack entitled "The Wacken Carnage" on June 2 in Europe and June 24 in the U.S. via Peaceville. The package contains footage of the band's appearance at the 2005 edition of the Wacken Open Air festival.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=108366

i saw it and fuck..............not even near the amount of sales the album deserves

well, is USA... not the same as europe for european bands. Also, that was the first week only.

I would like to see the european first-week sales.

i expected the number to be higher, but still way to go guys :) ,that's a lot more albums than i've sold (which is 0)

i saw a guy the other day with the fathomless mastery shirt, pretty cool since i didn't know there were many fans in new brunswick haha, besides people i knew that is

It's still decent sales for a Death Metal album methinks

is it? for a country with more than 300million people 1000 cd's sold is ..not that much
but it's only the first week though ..so i guess your right lol
and once the video's out the album will probably be sold out everywhere (since they don't export that many albums..at least here in Canada i cant seem to find it)

I'm assuming this doesn't include pre-orders (?)...if it does then that makes sense...every Bloodbath fan I know is damn ravenous. To this day I still get horns from at least one person when I walk around with a Bloodbath shirt.

Even better when I went to Opeth two months ago my friend had an Unblessing the Purity, I had my Breeding Death, and we found a Resurrection Through Carnage, a Nightmares Made Flesh, and a Wacken Carnage. If only we had all lined up in the middle of the set and Mike saw...that just calls for a Bloodbath cover.

Disappointing Americans. No surprises, though. I meet alot of Americans that are all "American Death Metal only, European sucks!". I'm assuming the sales in Europe are much higher, especially considering the fact that Bloodbath has actually had gigs here :D

is it? for a country with more than 300million people 1000 cd's sold is ..not that much
but it's only the first week though ..so i guess your right lol
and once the video's out the album will probably be sold out everywhere (since they don't export that many albums..at least here in Canada i cant seem to find it)

You still have to consider that it's a Death Metal album. To sell something in metal you have to go roadrunner trend or Power Metal. Also, I think many people order this album from internet shops etc. and all those doesn't count into the billboard rank, right?

I agree with Stefan. These are decent first week sales in a country where metal is NOT the most popular form of music. You also have to consider that for every sold CD there are at least 2-3 people that have downloaded it, especially in metal. Bands don't really make money off of cd sales, they make more on merch and touring SO BUY T-SHIRTS!

On a slightly related note, I was looking for Morbid Angel cd sale numbers and came across this article:
http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Morbid_Angel#cite_note-5

lol@website . i understand that 1000 is a decent number but i was working on the basis that Opeth are big in america (they are on a headlining tour there now) that people would recognise mikeal ha sanother band

lol@website . i understand that 1000 is a decent number but i was working on the basis that Opeth are big in america (they are on a headlining tour there now) that people would recognise mikeal ha sanother band

Valid conclusion...that's how I got into Bloodbath originally. I liked Opeth, but I liked older Opeth more....so I heard Bloodbath and was basically like "Oh cool, a band where he growls all the time; SOLD!". But fact is, if someone doesn't like death metal, they just don't like death metal. There is a guy at work here who despises the death metal I try to show him, but he loves Opeth. I ask him how he tolerates the growls in those songs and he just said "Meh, it's different". So I dunno....

-D

Valid conclusion...that's how I got into Bloodbath originally. I liked Opeth, but I liked older Opeth more....so I heard Bloodbath and was basically like "Oh cool, a band where he growls all the time; SOLD!". But fact is, if someone doesn't like death metal, they just don't like death metal. There is a guy at work here who despises the death metal I try to show him, but he loves Opeth. I ask him how he tolerates the growls in those songs and he just said "Meh, it's different". So I dunno....

-D

Well, it IS different. In Opeth I think they are kind of used "melodically" although that doesn't make much sense. But that's the feel I get from it, while in death metal it's just br00tality. But if you don't like death metal, you're just plain wrong.

Yeah, but he doesn't like melodeath either....
I just think Opeth has a certain something that appeals to a lot of people.

Death metal is still pretty niche after all these years and death metal that most would consider "mainstream" is still pretty fucked up to the average person, haha.

-D