Bloodbath video clip

And people can say whatever they want, Mike's growls sound weird on Watershed and Fathomless Mastery

I liked Mike's approach on The Fathomless Mastery as something different - the whole David Vincent thing was fairly new for him. That being said, I prefer his approach on everything else he's done (other than Morningrise & Watershed). It's too bad because I believe Unblessing the Purity features the best death vocals Mike has ever recorded. I'm hoping he brings that back for the next Opeth record and (should it happen) next Bloodbath record.

As for "Hades Rising," the video is indeed a whole lot of lame, which is too bad. I'm pretty sure it would have been more effective to just have cuts of The Wacken Carnage in place of the awkward television performance.

Oh well. Bloodbath still rules.

And people can say whatever they want, Mike's growls sound weird on Watershed and Fathomless Mastery

Only if "weird" means "better than ever". Just listen to his progress from the Breeding Death EP to The Wacken Carnage. His ascent to growl god has been completed. No "crispness" has been lost, his voice is deeper and more demonic than ever, but has lost none its power. If anything, it's even more brutal and evil than it ever was. He still spits every line like a pissed off pitbull and he still has an articulation in his voice that few, if any, can match.

Watershed, The Fathomless Mastery, Unblessing The Purity and The Wacken Carnage solidified Mike's position as the world's #1 death metal vocalist.

To claim anything else is folly.

I don't think he enunciated very well with the growls on Watershed so it honestly sounds like grumbling a lot of times (though great at other times), but his 2008 work with Bloodbath was fantastic obviously.

Also I think that kind of brutal growl just isn't fitting for Opeth, imo. It may be quality death metal vox but still, the screams in Deliverance were much more emotional and thus fitting for Opeth considering no one in their right mind listens to Opeth strictly for brutality. That's what Bloodbath's for.

Also I think that kind of brutal growl just isn't fitting for Opeth, imo. It may be quality death metal vox but still, the screams in Deliverance were much more emotional and thus fitting for Opeth considering no one in their right mind listens to Opeth strictly for brutality. That's what Bloodbath's for.

The last time I checked Opeth was, among many other things, a death metal band. I don't listen to Opeth strictly for brutality, but when it's supposed to be brutal I expect it to be fucking brutal. His voice on Deliverance worked for Deliverance, just like his voice on Morningrise worked for Morningrise.

Mike's recent style of growling fit perfectly for what the band tried to achieve on Watershed. Besides, it's nothing new. He sounded basically the same on GR.

Mike's vocals, both growls and clean singing, have never sounded better. To even imply anything different is laughable.

You've got a bit of an attitude, my friend. His vocals may sound better than ever to you but weird to others. Saying other people's opinions are laughable or dismissing them as folly is insolent of you.

And you tell me - does the part on Heir Apparent when he says "swift solution crumbled neath the mock notes of a masterpiece" or "submit to nothing and swallow my spit of scorn" or "procession of woe" sound like any of the growls in GR? I honestly hear a noticeable difference.

If stating your honest opinion counts as having an "attitude" - fine. So be it. I have a very frank and direct way of expressing my opinion, and it's not my intention to sound rude in any way. I'm the nicest person you're likely to meet, if you see me as having an attitude... well, that's lamentable and I apologise in advance for ever coming off rude in the future.

What I meant was that there was a definite change in Mike's voice between 2002 and 2005 (Deliverance to Ghost Reveries). By the time GR came around his death metal voice was much much deeper, which then carried into Watershed, where it got even deeper. There was a bigger change (I'd say improvement) in his voice in the three years between D1 and GR than there was in the three years between GR and WS.

U dig?

His growl is weaker. It's just the inevitable result of getting older, I think. But his growls have more low voice in it...it's not even that brutal iyam.

hmm.gif

The previous singer in Bloodbath was better, but Mikael's voice is still fantastic. I like it better in Opeth, however. Claiming that Opeth is far from death metal is just purely stupid and ignorant.

"Jari Mäenpää"

No. Not in the Death Metal industry. Maybe in the kind of music he does, which is not entirely Death Metal. He has a very powerful clean vocal, but it sounds more like power metal.