Bloodbound - Book of the Dead

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
I've spent quite some time with this album now. As you may know, it features former Jaded Heart and Rain vocalist Michael Bormann at the helm after the departure of Urban Breed. This is possibly his first time trying to sing power metal as Bormann is better known for his great hard rock-styled singing: I think he's got a killer voice, but how well he fits into Bloodbound is debatable. Some will dig it while some will be terribly disappointed. As for me, I think the new album is okay but I much prefer the diversity of Nosferatu and feel Breed was much better suited to their material. That said, even if Kristian Andren had replaced Breed, the outcome would have been different. I'm probably a bigger fan of Andren, but I like his darker stuff with Memento Mori and earlier Tad Morose as well as Fifth Reason best. Never really dug the Wuthering Heights stuff, especially their second CD.

Anyway, here's a detailed review in case you're interested about the new Bloodbound:

http://www.seaoftranquility.org/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=4988

Has anyone else heard it? Got thoughts?

I actually think most of the songs are pretty good. I liked the previous cd better, though. Maybe it's because I'm not sure of Bormann's "heart" with a project like this. The previous songs are more memorable to me, in any case.

On my list Nosferatu was the #2 release of 2006, with only Heed- The Call topping it. After listening to the samples from Book Of The Dead online I can tell this won't even come close to that level.
I may eventually pick it up, but it will definately be on the low priority list.