Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Bludgeon – Crucify The Priest
Metablade 2002
By Russell Garwood

The sensitively-titled “Crucify The Priest” is the first album to be released through Manowar’s Magic Circle Music, and is also the first to be produced by their bassist Joey DeMaio. The band consists of singer and rhythms guitarist Mark Duca, Eric Karol on bass, Matt Dezynski on drums and lead guitarist Carlos Alvarez.

The four piece play run-of-the-mill (American) death, with some thrash influences – technically they are all proficient musicians. The drums, while not innovative, are accomplished, the guitars precise and the inconspicuous bass seems skilfully played. Their downfall however, is the songwriting – nothing (to me) on this album is memorable or stands out. I can listen to the album and when it’s finished not remember any of the songs or favorite sections. Bludgeon, are, primarily, a live band. All the instruments excluding the vox and guitar solos are recorded at the same time, and although this gives slight imperfections in the recording it suits the band’s sound well.

Perhaps another reason nothing on this album stands out is that the music is quite unoriginal – well written, and at times complex, yet there is nothing new (mirrored by the artwork which shows a priest being crucified). The lyrics too show that originality is not high on the band’s list of priorities – for example “In the dark emptiness/my soul bleeds pain/through the suffering/life is drained” (Idle Distinction). While this isn’t my thing, the band certainly exude energy (their live show must be a sight to behold), and as long you don’t want groundbreaking material – just heavy, extreme music – Bludgeon may well be for you…

it"s kinda funny how at one time their was 3 diffrent band"s called BLUDGEON out of TX=CA=MT/AZ=AREA"S
& then the one from chicago=that got picked up on metalblade,records

That's a well-written review and dead-on IMO. A very good, straight-ahead death metal album. You know what to expect, lots of good, chunky riffs, but certainly nothing that's going to break new ground in the genre. Still good though.