Bog Chomper!

Anarkissed

BOK CHOY!!!
May 3, 2003
Uranus
anarkissed.deviantart.com
Wow, it's been a while since I've posted here! Kinda miss the old Opeth forum, though I have been lurking around this forum occasionally. But anyways...

http://spartacusmcginty.tumblr.com/post/1669100353/a-song-im-writing-for-my-band-using-a-7-string

I've only recently gotten back into writing/mixing and stuff. I bought a Schecter Loomis 7-string recently which has really kick-started my music again! This is just a quick demo for the first quarter (or so) of a song I'm working on for my band. Generally we play in D standard, so it's gonna take a bit of work to get used to playing in B, haha.

This track is only partially mixed, but I thought I should see what you guys could suggest to make it sound better before I go off the rails. Right now it's a little dull, plus I'm probably gonna rerecord some parts to tighten it up a bit.

- Cubase
- DFH Superior 2.0
- Guitar Rig 4
- No bass yet...gonna have to buy one soon!
- 2 guitar tracks. Might quad track when I can play the song a bit better, heh.

:loco:

it's a single-minded riff, and i like that, because it sticks to one pounding idea, the intro that is, though i would definitely put vocals or a lead part over the top of it the rhythm is strong. loomis much? :) i like this, you seem to have a keen idea of what you're after and it's not pure nevermore which i was worried it would be. great, great tone. couple of the parts could be a little tighter, one of the cymbals is horrible, the drums are a bit far back. interested to hear how it progresses.

Thanks for the feedback!

Although I do like Nevermore (and Loomis is a mad guitarist), I mostly bought the guitar because it's a nice, well-built guitar for a decent price. So if any of the song sounds like Nevermore it's probably mostly a coincidence.

I think in general I find myself doing preliminary mixes with the guitars real loud and then bring it back into balance with the drums and all once the song's done.

The intro riff definitely does need something to make it a bit less empty; probably some better drum parts too. It'll definitely sound better with vocals once we get to them.