Bon Jovi Special Editions

Nov 12, 2002
www.metalasylum.net
Curious of people's thoughts on these first 4 Jovi albums; Bon Jovi, 7800 Fahrenheit, Slippery, and New Jersey. They recently have been reissued with bonus content. I know hard rock and metal fans use to like Jovi, and may still but not as much, because as we all know their sound and style became less hard rock, more laid back since "These Days".
Anyway, our review of the first four albums at Metal Asylum are for those hard rock fans.
http://www.metalasylum.net/reviews/2010/mr10117.php
check it out, feedback is welcomed. I think we did a great job.

Those albums are classics, although I think they reached their creative pinnacle with Keep the Faith. That album had it all. Elements of their sound to come, some classic Bon Jovi-style songs, their heaviest song ever(IF I Was Your Mother), and their only attempt at a little prog, Dry County. Which also features Sambora's only studio attempt at shredding.

As for the live stuff, I was disappointed. Back in the 80s, Richie used to just go off live, all the solos and rhythms were much better, but he seems to have dumbed it down even on the classic songs nowadays. On the good side, I think Jon is a better live singer than he was back then.

New Jersey is their best IMO. I skipped these special editions though, as I already have all the "remasters". The bonus live tracks which are on the special editions I pretty much have also.

Yawn.

I used to be a big Bon Jovi fan...thought the Sambora/Bon Jovi writing team was fantastic and those first 6 albums I still consider good stuff...I just can't bring myself to listen to them anymore. As much as the early material was part of my life, the stuff from Crush onwards, while not technically bad, just really smacks of empty, soulless drivel...I liked it when Bon Jovi was a band, and not a "media presence"...

For my ears - 7800 Farenheit was the best Bon Jovi disc......still dig that one today. "Secret Dreams", "The Hardest Part Is The Night", "Always Run To You" are all hidden gems.

For my ears - 7800 Farenheit was the best Bon Jovi disc......still dig that one today. "Secret Dreams", "The Hardest Part Is The Night", "Always Run To You" are all hidden gems.
yep 7800 Fahrenheit is their best album!!

Slippery When Wet was the breakthrough disc, but New Jersey was where I became a fan. That disc had everything and was the stepping stone to a 3 disc run of new material in a different direction while retaining the old feel.
I'm in agreement with the direction of the newer material. It just doesn't feel. It doesn't rock. It seems like by the numbers BonJovi just to keep the name in the public eye