Def Leppard and Bon Jovi

I used to like FIREHOUSE back then, but I don't remember their music ever having balls. Not a smartass answer, BTW. Just my opinion.

Shake And Tumble, Overnight Sensation, Reach For The Sky.....just to name a few.

Just as much balls as anything Def Leppard, or Bon Jovi ever did which is what this thread is discussing......bands that lost there "punch" so to speak.

Unless you dont consider bands like Dokken, XYZ, Lillian Axe and so on to have "balls". To me balls is a great crunchy guitar drivin riff.

At least Europe has come back with a nice harder edged sound.

I guess maybe back then I would've thought the music was ballsier, but now since I've gotten older and into heavier stuff, that music of yesteryear just seems dated and so much fluff and bubblegum. Basically unlistenable to me know, IMO.

I guess maybe back then I would've thought the music was ballsier, but now since I've gotten older and into heavier stuff, that music of yesteryear just seems dated and so much fluff and bubblegum. Basically unlistenable to me know, IMO.

Emerald Sword, considering your avatar, I believe it's useless for me to try to argue your points. You've already made up your mind I do believe.

~Brian~

Well, some of the classic stuff I still do like. I love TED NUGENT, BAD COMPANY, QUEEN, PINK FLOYD, YES, LED ZEPPELIN, DEEP PURPLE, SCORPIONS, FOREIGNER, LYNYRD SKYNYRD, ASIA, NAZARETH, BUDGIE, RUSH, BILLY SQUIER, MOLLY HATCHET, AXE, TRIUMPH, AC/DC, RAINBOW, BLACK SABBATH, SAVATAGE, JUDAS PRIEST, MANOWAR, IRON MAIDEN, and other classic rock/metal that I would still buy and would still pay to see live. As you can see most of these bands had a beginning around the late 60's into the 70's and carried over into the 80's. Actually IRON MAIDEN and JUDAS PRIEST are my two favorite bands EVER! That glammy, hairspray, poofy hair stuff after I discovered power/death/black metal just seems so corny and dated. Last week I watched "The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years" on digital cable and I was embarrassed watching it thinking back to watching it in 1988 and except for Chris Holmes, thinking it was the fucking coolest movie ever created. It was actually horrible and juvenile beyond compare. One of my friends told me, "Once you get into this power metal thing, you won't even be able to listen to that stuff anymore."He meant hair metal. I used to say that would never happen. But, it most certainly did and it didn't take long. And because of power metal it also moved me to check out heavier stuff which I also love now. From power metal was a natural progression to death and black metal. But hey, that's just me.

Well, some of the classic stuff I still do like. I love TED NUGENT, BAD COMPANY, QUEEN, PINK FLOYD, YES, LED ZEPPELIN, DEEP PURPLE, SCORPIONS, FOREIGNER, LYNYRD SKYNYRD, ASIA, NAZARETH, BUDGIE, RUSH, BILLY SQUIER, MOLLY HATCHET, AXE, TRIUMPH, AC/DC, RAINBOW, BLACK SABBATH, SAVATAGE, JUDAS PRIEST, MANOWAR, IRON MAIDEN, and other classic rock/metal that I would still buy and would still pay to see live. As you can see most of these bands had a beginning around the late 60's into the 70's and carried over into the 80's. Actually IRON MAIDEN and JUDAS PRIEST are my two favorite bands EVER! That glammy, hairspray, poofy hair stuff after I discovered power/death/black metal just seems so corny and dated. Last week I watched "The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years" on digital cable and I was embarrassed watching it thinking back to watching it in 1988 and except for Chris Holmes, thinking it was the fucking coolest movie ever created. It was actually horrible and juvenile beyond compare. One of my friends told me, "Once you get into this power metal thing, you won't even be able to listen to that stuff anymore."He meant hair metal. I used to say that would never happen. But, it most certainly did and it didn't take long. And because of power metal it also moved me to check out heavier stuff which I also love now. From power metal was a natural progression to death and black metal. But hey, that's just me.

I listen to very, very little of the glam stuff of the 80's these days. I do still like some of the melodic hard rock from that era though like: House of Lords, Hardline, and Europe. Your list pretty much looks like mine, so we're on the same page there it looks like. I don't know if I agree that it's a natural progression into death and black metal from power metal though. I'm in the middle of warming up to a select few of the bands, but I'm a long way off from becoming a full-blown fan. I think I could dig the "viking" metal stuff moreso than the black/death music. I listened to a band the other day called, Moonsorrow, that I think has a very cool sound. I don't have a freakin' clue what they're saying, but the music is great. :lol:

Any viking metal recommendations?

~Brian~

"Once you get into this power metal thing, you won't even be able to listen to that stuff anymore."He meant hair metal. I used to say that would never happen. But, it most certainly did and it didn't take long. And because of power metal it also moved me to check out heavier stuff which I also love now. From power metal was a natural progression to death and black metal. But hey, that's just me.

Exactly its just you. Im a HUGE fan of Power Metal, and a LOVE the hair bands from the late 80s and early 90s. So do a lot of people on this forum.....the hair metal youtube thread is an attest to that.

I dont see the natural progression from power metal to black/death either. I listen to power metal because I like the high melodic vocals....something you don't hear in death/black.

Exactly its just you. Im a HUGE fan of Power Metal, and a LOVE the hair bands from the late 80s and early 90s. So do a lot of people on this forum.....the hair metal youtube thread is an attest to that.

I dont see the natural progression from power metal to black/death either. I listen to power metal because I like the high melodic vocals....something you don't hear in death/black.
As I said, It's just me. I didn't say the progression was for everyone. Power metal was faster and heavier and I wanted to check out stuff that was even faster and heavier than power metal. I did. I liked it. I'm not ragging anyone else on this forum for liking glam or whatever if that's what you are insinuating.