Bonus tracks

the new LINE OF FIRE album, Momentum, i am releasing in August will have a bonus track that is only available on the CD itself. i do this because i hate iTunes (digital downloads in general) and in turn decided to go against the grain and put bonus content on my physical releases rather than on the digital.

the bonus track is a cover of Breaking The Chains by Dokken. :)
LOF_Momentum_300.jpg

Yeah, it's interesting how the concept of "Bonus Tracks" evolved.

When CDs were becoming more mainstream, underground labels would put extra tracks on the CD, as opposed to the cassette or vinyl versions.

Today though, where it is pretty much CD vs digital, it seems to carry less lustre. I like Matt's reasoning above, in having the bonus be a CD only, to generate sales of the physical product.

I hate though when an album is only released on CD, yet the last track or two is labeled as a "bonus track". Kind of deceptive, esp if every pressing / region of the album has the same tracklist.

there won't be any confusion on my stuff. ;) my Divebomb releases aren't available digitally and if any Tribunal releases have bonus tracks they will be on the CD only and nowhere else. i am truly opposed to the digitalization of the music industry. i not only do it for bands on my label, but my own band is where i choose to make the biggest statements against it. my band has an entire 12 track album only available on CD and not even available in stores across the country just at shows and through our estore. plus with our 3 cd box set reissue if you get it from us at shows or via our estore you get a bonus 4th CD. once again, not available in the digital version. our new album will have bonus tracks on the CD too, i already have it all planned out. our fans seem to get what i am doing it for and a lot of them say even though they buy music digitally they specifically buy KWD CDs because of the bonus content i give them.

When CDs were becoming more mainstream, underground labels would put extra tracks on the CD, as opposed to the cassette or vinyl versions.

Today though, where it is pretty much CD vs digital, it seems to carry less lustre. I like Matt's reasoning above, in having the bonus be a CD only, to generate sales of the physical product.

I hate though when an album is only released on CD, yet the last track or two is labeled as a "bonus track". Kind of deceptive, esp if every pressing / region of the album has the same tracklist.

Agreed. I totally hate it when bands put "bonus tracks" on every single version of the album. They might as well just be regular songs on the disc at that point.

You bastard! I just realized you had another quote of mine which you took out of context. I need to be much more careful what I say when you're watching. Hmm...

You know what else is lame? Hidden tracks.:)

You listen to an album for years, especially if it was on cassette, and when the last song ends you take it out and turn it over. Then one day you forget and a whole new song starts up! That happened to me with Ozzy's No Rest For the Wicked.

At least on CD, the last track will have a weird track length, so you know something else is coming. Unless of course the band decided to be cute and have you wait for 5 minutes just to hear them laugh at you in the end. Axel Rudi Pell did that on one of his albums.

You listen to an album for years, especially if it was on cassette, and when the last song ends you take it out and turn it over. Then one day you forget and a whole new song starts up! That happened to me with Ozzy's No Rest For the Wicked.

LOL. I forced my (barely tolerant) family to listen to "A Pleasant Shade of Gray" on a vacation road trip [driver's choice]; they all dozed off, and I got in the groove of driving etc...and didn't have another cd readily available once it got to the end. So for the first time in hundreds of plays, I didn't take off the cd when I thought it was over...

"Now where the hell is that alarm clock?"

LOL. I forced my (barely tolerant) family to listen to "A Pleasant Shade of Gray" on a vacation road trip [driver's choice]; they all dozed off, and I got in the groove of driving etc...and didn't have another cd readily available once it got to the end. So for the first time in hundreds of plays, I didn't take off the cd when I thought it was over...

"Now where the hell is that alarm clock?"

I share your families feelings. I adore almost all FW, but APSOG puts me to sleep as well. I had no idea there was a bonus track.

Bryant

At least on CD, the last track will have a weird track length, so you know something else is coming. Unless of course the band decided to be cute and have you wait for 5 minutes just to hear them laugh at you in the end. Axel Rudi Pell did that on one of his albums.

Hah! I did the same thing with No Rest For the Wicked. Or how about OverKill on Killing Kind(? - can't remember which disc). There are 100 tracks on the CD, and tracks 11ish through 99 are all about 5 seconds of nothing, then it gets to track 100 (and IIRC) you have to play it backwards to get to the bonus track.

Bonus tracks... I don't like 'em one bit.

I scrolled through this thread *just* to see if you'd post... I knew you couldn't resist! :lol:

But I think you understated your opinion. ;)

For me, I could take 'em or leave 'em usually. I also will be damned if I'd spend $25-30 just for one extra track or so. There are a few I could think of that are real gems, a few more that are interesting, and many that are crap.

Yeah, I could really take 'em or leave 'em as far as most bonus tracks go, though there are a few that are really good. Edguy's "The Devil and the Savant" from Mandrake is one of my favorite Edguy songs, though it's a bonus track.