Books that never get old

SophiesWorld.gif

Oh wow! I think i have that book still somewhere! I read it in college. it is quite awesome!

C.J. Sansom's "Shardlake" Series is major win too.

David Gemmel's "Troy" series is pretty good also.

yep.

A Song of Ice And Fire, George RR Martin (never gets old, never gets finished)
A Confederacy of Dunces, John Kennedy Toole (funniest book EVER)
Lamb, Christopher Moore (close)
The Once and Future King, TH White (i literally feel like i'm a little kid growing back into an adult when i read this. best Arthurian ever.)
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Mark Twain (mark twain shits on your favorite writer)
The Yiddish Policeman's Union, Michael Chabon (easily one of the most inventive books i have ever read)
Hyperion, Dan Simmons (perfect expression of sci-fi)
Catch-22, Joseph Heller (you will never laugh so hard at things that are so fucking horrible)
Anything from the Lovecraft mythos (AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH)
Good translations of the Iliad (greatest story ever told. has fucking EVERYTHING.)
Calvin & Hobbes comics, Bill Watterson (re-affirm the value of your life, motherfucker)

A Song of Ice And Fire, George RR Martin (never gets old, never gets finished)
A Confederacy of Dunces, John Kennedy Toole (funniest book EVER)
Lamb, Christopher Moore (close)
The Once and Future King, TH White (i literally feel like i'm a little kid growing back into an adult when i read this. best Arthurian ever.)
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Mark Twain (mark twain shits on your favorite writer)
The Yiddish Policeman's Union, Michael Chabon (easily one of the most inventive books i have ever read)
Hyperion, Dan Simmons (perfect expression of sci-fi)
Catch-22, Joseph Heller (you will never laugh so hard at things that are so fucking horrible)
Anything from the Lovecraft mythos (AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH)
Good translations of the Iliad (greatest story ever told. has fucking EVERYTHING.)
Calvin & Hobbes comics, Bill Watterson (re-affirm the value of your life, motherfucker)

Reuben! Just the man I hoped would enter this thread.
Please respond to this
Okay, so I need some scifi book recommendations. I bought Ender's Game, which I read when i was like 11, perhaps too young to really appreciate it, I'll be rereading it soon. So gimme some recos, especially books involving the future, aliens, "hard scifi", and/or space travel. None of that nerdy fantasy crap!
Hyperion is definitely on my to-check-out list.

Okay, so I need some scifi book recommendations. I bought Ender's Game, which I read when i was like 11, perhaps too young to really appreciate it, I'll be rereading it soon. So gimme some recos, especially books involving the future, aliens, "hard scifi", and/or space travel. None of that nerdy fantasy crap!
well if you like Enders Game you should read the rest of the series following Ender on his deep space travels, strange aliens, AI, astral travel, telepathic communication, etc. Card also wrote another series focusing on Bean. the first Bean book is pretty much Enders Game from Bean's perspective, then follows him on earth after the bugger war. Bean's are more about politics and less about transporting with your mind, but still good stuff.

I read a lot more fantasy than sci-fi, but I'll give it a go.

A lot of people swear by Neal Stephenson. I think he's kind of self-indulgent as a writer, but he has some good stuff. My favorite is actually probably Snow Crash, but Cryptonomicon is the most praised.

Gene Wolfe sort of toes the sci-fi/fantasy line. Book of the New Sun is an absolute classic of the speculative fiction genre, but also incredibly fucking dense. I haven't been able to make it through myself due to lack of available brainpower - I'm gonna be giving it another try when work calms down.

Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series (more urban fantasy) is really fucking fun. If you like Hellblazer (and you BETTER fucking like Hellblazer), Harry Dresden is a very appealing character. Quick reads, too.

As far as hard sci-fi goes, I'm out.

I'm a big SF dork so I can contribute on that front.

Greg Bear - formerly a Hard SF writer now does more "science-thriller" type novels.

Darwin's Radio / Darwin's Children (series)
Vitals
The Forge Of God / Anvil of Stars (series)
Moving Mars

Gregory Benford - Hard SF as well as a professor of physics at UC Irvine

Galactic Center series - In The Ocean Of Night / Across The Sea Of Suns / Great Sky River / Tides Of Light / Furious Gulf / Sailing Bright Eternity

Artifact
Eater
Heart Of The Comet (with David Brin)

Arthur C. Clarke - A SciFi grand master. This dude has been published since 1937 and was still putting out new books up until his death last year.

Childhood's End
The City And The Stars
The Songs Of Distant Earth
The Trigger

The Rama series - Rendezvous With Rama / Rama II / The Garden Of Rama / Rama Revealed

...to be continued as it is getting late here

Greg Bear - formerly a Hard SF writer now does more "science-thriller" type novels.

Vitals
Moving Mars

Galactic Center series - In The Ocean Of Night / Across The Sea Of Suns / Great Sky River / Tides Of Light / Furious Gulf / Sailing Bright Eternity

Artifact
Eater

Arthur C. Clarke - A SciFi grand master. This dude has been published since 1937 and was still putting out new books up until his death last year.

Childhood's End
The City And The Stars
The Trigger

The Rama series - Rendezvous With Rama / Rama II / The Garden Of Rama / Rama Revealed

:headbang: Nice, thanks man! I'll be sure to make use of your expertise in the future.

I never read Animorphs, it was after I got older that they came out. But I remember Goosebumps, Fear Street, Boxcar Children (sukk'd), and Hardy Boys.

Max: have you read Sphere at all? The movie was bleh, yes, but the book is an interesting read. I probably wouldn't read it a second time, but it's worth a check out from a library for a quick read.

I'm currently reading Brimstone by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child, good read so far.

Agent Pendergast returns in a new suspense thriller from New York Times bestselling authors Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child.

33380421.JPG

Art critic Jeremy Grove is found dead, his face frozen in a mask of terror. His body temperature is grotesquely high; he is discovered in a room barricaded from the inside; the smell of brimstone is everywhere...and the unmistakable imprint of a claw is burned into the wall. As more bodies are discovered--their only connection the bizarre but identical manner of death--the world begins to wonder if the Devil has, in fact, come to collect his due. Teaming with Police Officer Vincent DAgosta (The Relic), Agent Pendergast is determined to solve this case that appears to defy everything except supernatural logic. Their investigation takes them from the luxury estates of Long Island to the crumbling, legend-shrouded castles of the Italian countryside, where Pendergast faces the most treacherous and dangerous adversary of his career.

Vitals
Moving Mars

Artifact
Eater

Childhood's End
The City And The Stars
The Trigger

Have you by any chance read the Commonwealth saga by Peter Hamilton? I've read a synopsis, and it sounds interesting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_Saga