Books

I've read the Horowitz (a long time ago) and I think the Crowley. I've read a lot of Resendez, but I'm not sure if I've actually read through that one. Lots of European/World History huh?

Yea definitely heavily on the world side---that Resendez is a mind boggling story--should be made into a movie. I read another more recent one about Pizarro that was also good (different author). I really like Horowitz, (he unfortunately died last year)-- Confederates in the attic, Baghdad without a map, blue latitudes ---I really like that mix of history and travelogue etc.

I recently read the McDonough biography of Sherman which was solid Probably going to go either Grant [Chernow one probably) or Teddy Roosevelt--not sure I could really go through the three volume by Edmund Morris right now though :rofl:

I got that Chernow-Grant book sitting in my audible acct for eons. Shiet's tipping the scales at 50 hours of listening.

Are the majority of yus cats actually sitting down and reading with your eyes nowadays? Such a horrid time sink, when one can just press play and have it narrated.

Yes. Typically, I read with my eyes.

I dont want to get you all randy with my avi bruh. Its like a 50 shades of grey excerpt with every post click . If that is what is problematic, and giving you thoughts of leaving the forum, let me know. I love ye bruv, I dont want your nut to explode. Rand gets my cock pumping like a thousand acres of shale.

JK Rowling and the Philospher's Stone

:lol:

I dont want to get you all randy with my avi bruh. Its like a 50 shades of grey excerpt with every post click . If that is what is problematic, and giving you thoughts of leaving the forum, let me know. I love ye bruv, I dont want your nut to explode. Rand gets my cock pumping like a thousand acres of shale.

LOL

My posts are intended to be jokes and/or sarcasm. I'll try to use more emoticons in the future. I don't wanna walk down the aisle of J.

I'm serious about Rand being absolutely abhorrent though. ;)

Ok, so I finished the Atlas...
I liked the main idea of the book. But this mix of industrial terms and and the whole 'love' story that smell like a housewife oriented soap opera got me confused by the contradiction of styles. It's like cheap Jules Verne.
And why in a book that's about high purpose and all that I saw the main female character getting laid with 3 different guys?
Also, I didn't know Ayn was a philosopher?

Reactions: swizzlenuts
I recently read the McDonough biography of Sherman which was solid Probably going to go either Grant [Chernow one probably) or Teddy Roosevelt--not sure I could really go through the three volume by Edmund Morris right now though :rofl:

McDonough is a good historian (not a fan of Chernow), but I typically do not like to read these popular biographies that are often such products of the current moment and narrative (there's a big push to rehabilitate Grant as President for largely political reasons). That's often true of biography (which has a tendency by nature to either be character assassination or hagiography), though it is, unfortunately, increasingly true of historical writing in general. The most important classes I took in graduate school were historiography courses where we traced out the historical literature on a person, event, etc. across time to see how and why interpretations have changed. It's always a good idea to read several books from different time periods and perspectives (along with primary documents) to understand a person or event better, but most people don't have time to do this and so we end up with the most recent popular interpretation lodging in the public mind.

McDonough is a good historian (not a fan of Chernow), but I typically do not like to read these popular biographies that are often such products of the current moment and narrative (there's a big push to rehabilitate Grant as President for largely political reasons). That's often true of biography (which has a tendency by nature to either be character assassination or hagiography), though it is, unfortunately, increasingly true of historical writing in general. The most important classes I took in graduate school were historiography courses where we traced out the historical literature on a person, event, etc. across time to see how and why interpretations have changed. It's always a good idea to read several books from different time periods and perspectives (along with primary documents) to understand a person or event better, but most people don't have time to do this and so we end up with the most recent popular interpretation lodging in the public mind.

Yea, I have a masters in history--so fully i'm aware of all that stuff. Even popular biographies should be incorporating a brief historiography overview in the beginning of the book--if not, doesn't seem to be worth reading. Agreed about biography in general--when you spend years going through archives I imagine could only really love someone or really hate them ;) I'm in agreement with not judging historical figures too much by the current moment (like any thinking person).

I think reading both popular history and academic journals/ primary sources both have their place--not sure I would ever mention an academic paper on a favorite books thread though.

Grant seems to be a tough one to really access given enormity of the time periods he lived through, but I just looked at a few bits of the stuff written on him and it seems to go from corrupt/drunkard, corrupt adminstration & had some success, to more positive while mixed on reconstruction/native americans. Both Reconstruction and the Native Americans issues were always going to be extremely difficult to navigate, the former in particular, especially after the first 5/6 years or so.

What would you be doing your dissertation on if you were doing your phd?