Bootleg Enchant discs

Random Axe

Common Sense Man!
Sep 27, 2002
Cincinnati, OH
Visit site
I posted this story on a couple of boards, so I thought I'd share it here since it's particularly pertinent.

The last Enchant CD I needed to complete my collection was Tug of War, and I located a copy with the Amazon Marketplace for 6.99. It was described as like new condition and the seller had a five star rating. I usually go through the Marketplace to get stuff cheaper, though a great deal of it tends to be used. I never had any reason to question this seller at all before sending my money.

When the CD arrived, I noticed something was wrong, but it wasn't immediately obvious. The cover was dark and grainy, unlike the online pics I'd seen. The artwork on the CD itself was almost unreadable and muddy. At first I was thinking that InsideOut started going with cheap printers and paper for their releases. Then common sense hit me that InsideOut would never do anything half-assed. My suspicion was growing. I looked on the CD for any identifiable markings and there were none. I checked the back cover and again, there were no InsideOut or other distributor logos to be found. I opened the booklet and found many, many typos with the lyrics and liner notes. It then finally hit me that this was a bootleg copy.

I never even bothered putting the disc into my player cause I was too pissed. I wrote the seller to tell them of what they shipped me and didn't get a response. Four days later I contacted Amazon and then the seller refunded my money. They had no interest in taking the disc back, so I still have it to show others what to look for.

I just wanted everyone to know that no band is immune to pirating. Exchange of mp3's is one thing that cannot be stopped. To reproduce(badly) the booklet, jacket and all artwork is just stupidly wrong. Anyone else have an experience like this? It ended just fine, but it was incredibly frustrating.

Scott

Well as for me I rarely buy cd''s on the web. So I never got that problem, however it is obvious i'd be pissed off If this thing happened to me.

Although I like to fownload some mp3's for time time I usually do this to discover new bands (lately : Dredg, killer) and in 95% of cases I go to the cd store shortly after because I like to see the booklet, the picture disc, the lyrics…*that's normal after all isn't it ?

that's a real bummer! never had that happen with any of my transactions at ebay.

i mostly purchase hard-to-get stuff over ebay, japanese versions and oop stuff and was opting to get blueprint of the world over ebay, but the record company released a special edition with 2 cds so i got that over amazon. :headbang:

since chances of listening to cds in shops are very low around where i live, i check stuff out online (amazon soundfiles, live365.com etc.). if something really grabs me, i buy the original cd mostly over amazon.de. or i purchase them at the concerts depending on how much money i have with me. :D

Hello!
I live in Mexico where the piracy are EVERYWHERE! but i personally HATE it, and yes here are bad copies of ALL kind of music including progressive rock but i always bought my ENCHANT cds through cduniverse.

Please do not buy this stuff!

Do you know all major labels in Ecuador close the doors because they went broke thanks to piracy???

In Mexico we are closer!!!

Random Axe said:
Anyone else have an experience like this?
Just had some kind of same experience recently, with a CD of Stramonio 'Time will Tell' ... pretty good stuff by the way ... Prog. Rock / Metal with some 'jazzy' touches.

I bought the CD from eBay from a seller living in Singapore (I live in Singapore myself too) so I was thinking I will receive it fast ... had to wait for more than 3 weeks. When I received it I noticed something wrong: No catalog number, no sign of records company logo, etc ... a pirated CD without much doubt :Shedevil:

I bought a genuine copy later from a seller in Germany :D