BOSS GT-x vs DigiTech GNX series

neuralfraud

Dec 8, 2002
bradenton, FL
nf.eclisis.net
I love how I can't search threads on this forum.. but I digress.

I just recently upgraded my equipment because I am trying to acheive a very crisp tone, the type of tone where I can strike an artificial harmonic and it literally explodes from the speakers with gobs of active sustain.. a guitarist from another band mine gigs with has a GT-3 (no longer available) connected to a marshall full stack.. the guitar has EMG 81 in the bridge which is what was used for teh entire show.

What I noticed was that every note had a perfect crispness and attack.

I have a GNX1 with an Ibanez RG350XL with an EMG81 bridge, except I am having a difficult time getting a clean sustain, it just gets engulfed in feedback.

How many players use either of these pedals and what kind of tips are there for getting a good tone?

The only amp model with enough gain is the RECTIFY (mesa dual rec), MODGAIN (Marshall JCM900) is decent but not nearly enough for a strong death metal tone.

any knowledge is greatly appreciated!

..or I'll just trade the bloody thing on a BOSS if it just wont do what I need it to!

imo the Digitech company sounds exactly like its name - digital.

Boss does a better job of emulating smooth tones, and with the manual settings it's not too hard to customize just about anything if you've read the manual.

If you can go for a boss gt-6, or gt-8 even, I have heard them in action, and are great once you start tweaking. I've extensively played with a Digitech GNX3, and have found that no matter what, the tone is so thin.

what amp are you using? You may just find you can solve ALL these issues by just saving to buy a head/amp with all the gain you need.

Failing that, BOSS stuff is built to last (the metal encased stuff at least) and can take a LOT of abuse. They also sound ace if you are on a budget. Personally i'd try to stear clear of modelling and go for the real deal, or overdrive an amp with lower gain with an overdrive pedal.

But that's just me ;)

I own the GNX-1 and i dunno what youre talking about, I have a couple of really heavy, crisp death metal patches without any feedback! Turn on the noise gate and use the higain amp ;P