Boss HM-2 clone: the 'Sunlight Buzzsaw'

tomhoward22

New Metal Member
Apr 19, 2012
Watching a few HM-2 videos on youtube and came across this interesting pedal:

Got in touch with JD Music Labs and when it's released they will be €120, pretty reasonable for a handmade pedal when the old ones go for not much less on ebay

What are peoples opinions on the similarity of the sound? I don't think either pedal sounds particularly great in the comparison video because they are going into the clean channel, but I think the HM-2 character is there and would sound great going into a more overdriven amp

Last edited by a moderator:
Use the search function, homie- there were actually 2 threads posted in this same subform about it.

I'm about to snag a Behringer UM300 myself. If you look up the comparison videos on youtube, they got it pretty damn close with this thing. Aside from being a PINK Behringer pedal, the thing isn't even $30 new. Would be worth looking at.

I did search but nothing came up! my bad if I missed it

I was actually gonna pick up the Behringer just to have a backup for my HM-2, but now I'm considering picking this up cos I really don't like the idea of a plastic pedal (or the putrid pink colour!) May pick up both and do a 3 way shootout, can't get enough of the buzzsaw tone

Pretty neat, sounds legit to me. I think the real HM-2 in the first vid sounds starved, like how mine did before I modded it to receive 9v from a supply. It's way too fuzzy. The Sunlight pedal sounds nice though, good find.

120€? :yow:
For 120 you can buy for yourself 10 hm-2 clones.

Also you can get the tone for free. Clone the hm-2 eq and use the most ugly buzz distortion plugin and you'll get a nice swedish death tone.

120€? :yow:
For 120 you can buy for yourself 10 hm-2 clones.

By that logic you could get 4 tubescreamer clones (Joyo or Behringer TO800) for the price of 1 Ibanez TS9 or Maxon OD808. But would you? None of the clones are perfect, they have the same basic character, but whether the minor differences are worth the extra cost is debatable.

I would say that the Sunlight pedal is worth it as it's hand-wired, and it's a great sounding pedal in its own right. And I would prefer to support a small company trying to find it's feet than a huge company that undercuts others with imitation products.

Well...i like tweaking my HM-2 sound .....dunno if the one knob on the clone is enough though :D ....