BRAINSTORM To Release 'Memorial Roots' In October

Thanks for that! Sounds nice, but i need to hear that in decent quality to make a serious judgement :)
But good to hear Todde making backing vocals.

Same here.

You all know I like this band a lot and a I'm not fan(atic) that says that everything that the bands they love is always great. I can see the good things and the not so good of bands and what I like or not and I say it and in this case I'm getting tired of the BS mid-tempo songs. Lately they sound almost the same to me and get me bored. Can the guys vary a bit the tempo? A diferent drum bass beat? I know the guys can do better.

I've talked about this in other forum and most ppl agreed with me. It's a shame that a band that was in ascension since MM album is loosing interest from ppl since LM album and because of what I already mentioned.

Still I have great hopes for this guys and I hope to be surprised with the new album.

Yeah! i am also yearning for some fast played Hungry- and Unholy-style pieces...

Read a review of the album (@ www.metalcrypt.com), where the reviewer complained a lot about the guitarsound of the album.

I don't like those words:erk:

I heard the new album it and I have to agree with the review.

This album must have the worst production in Brainstorm albums. Guitars are thin and sometime sound very low in the mix. The drums sound is also not very good.

The band insists in the mid-tempo songs and in the same songs structures: starting a song with a "punch" drums and guitar riff but then slows down and only picks up a faster beat for the bridge and chorus and then slows down again or starts with fast beat and fast guitar riffs and slows down to a mid-tempo then fast again, then slow, etc. So this is becoming boring. Besides some few songs that I fairly enjoyed I got bored most of the album.

This band has been going down for me (sadly) most since LM. Downburst was a bit better but the same problems that I mentioned above are there and now Memorial Roots is just repeating the same boring formula and because of all this i'm losing interest in the band and it seems i'm not the only one, which is quite serious for the future of the band.

I found some comments about the band and the new album:

Janga666:

Not tooo bad

A quite typical Brainstorm album: A few good songs... a lot of sub-par songs.

emperorsakis:

Weaker than Downburst.

5,5-6/10

Poohkali:

Very well done, but quite generic heavy metal with some power metal influences here and there. The best thing on Brainstorm is the singer Andy B. Franck, who has an enviable, raspy voice. The standout songs include the melodic "The Conjunction of 7 Planets", rather fast and symphonic "Ahimsa" and rifftantastic songs "The Final Stages of Decay" and "Victim".

I am semi-recommending Memorial Roots, at least for fans of heavy/power. And you shall not be surprised, if I happen to upgrade my rating to four stars in the future.

pbalison

...is so so. Hopefully its a grower. Maybe I dont like the production, not sure.

subgrade

This band lost me with Liquid Monster. Haven't bothered with them since.

Sound: well, it is different. Of course. But to say it's their worst ever? Come on guys! You can't realy believe this by yourselves.
The production is round, it's huge, it's "fat". Yes, right, the guitars have been more present in other BS albums, but every album is a new production. Downburst was more punching in the face, but Memorial Roots isn't a weak production for sure!
It's another mixing balance. Drums are more present, all in all it sounds a bit more dynamic to me. I haven't made any messurements until now, but it even seems to be a little less louder in general.

Concerning the music - well, definitely a question of personal preferences. For me the album isn't that kind of an ear catcher as i.e. Downburst. And I agree that there aren't that many "blasting" songs. But Memorial Roots has so much more detail in each song, at least for my sensation. It takes some time to find the personal favourites.

Regarding the request for more faster "old school" songs - well, I guess as long the guys don't feel "it", there won't be new ones. Not that bad for myself, cause I think there have been quite a few in the last 2 albums...

I definetely enjoy the new album. I also really like the production and I'm very picky with how an album sounds. Even today I still can't listen to Evergrey's Torn because it sounds like totally unacceptable crap. The songs in Memorial Roots are rich in details compared to raw, simple stuff like Metus Mortis.

I need to give it more listens, but the production sounds thin and compressed compared to their other recent albums, though it's certainly far from the worst I've heard ;) Aside from that, I dig the music...like on Downburst, they've tactfully applied some minor orchestrations/keys here and there to nice effect. I also like that "jungle soundtrack" intro to Forsake, not sure what it implies, but it's cool :D

i kind of like their new stuff after a few more listens (ahimsa is my favourite right now). it's true that this isn't brainstorm's best album but it is different as their previous stuff.
the sounds seems a bit weird (the drums are a bit too dominant for me) at first but imo it fits to the album. i would say that the sound of the previous albums wouldn't fit to the new songs...

btw, what happend with the link to the forum on the new brainstorm website? it was hard to find this forum without this link :D

btw, what happend with the link to the forum on the new brainstorm website? it was hard to find this forum without this link :D

unfortunately they didn't want to keep the forum (and guestbook) as part of the official site, now with myspace and such... I still have to write Devon about it :oops: and I hope it will end up in the unofficial list, so that we can still come together here... but you'll have to bookmark the forum of course :loco:

Hi Marlies.

Do you know why the band don't want the forum anymore?

That's strange. An band official site with no forum for their fans. I bet if they come here more fans would appear here. Plus the myspace is not the place to gather the fans and share the love for brainstorm and myspace is not updated with songs from the new album ;)

hey there...

I'm now in possession of the albums limited edition for about 10days now and despite some comments i really like it. Its not the best of their albums but i like it more than Downburst.
My favourites up to now are "The conjunction of 7 planets", "Nailed down dreams", "seems to be perfect" and maybe "The final stages of decay"
Shiver and Victim are also quite persuading.

I currently hear the album from 1 to 13 and again on the 90minutes travel by car every day and I hardly skip a song. That means it is, from my pov, a very good overall album altough I'm a little bit disappointed theres no real crusher like in the old albums (regulars now what I mean ;) )
My oppinion still is that some songs comparable to the ones on Hungry, Unholy and Metus Mortis would not hurt the band.

cheers
sebastian

Hi Marlies.

Do you know why the band don't want the forum anymore?

That's strange. An band official site with no forum for their fans. I bet if they come here more fans would appear here. Plus the myspace is not the place to gather the fans and share the love for brainstorm and myspace is not updated with songs from the new album ;)

I totally agree and I've defended the forum for many years, but now I've lost :erk: They've never been a big fan, although Todde used to like it but didn't find enough time to participate. Others didn't like it because there isn't a whole lot of traffic, but I've tried to convince them that would change if they would participate already, but to no avail. Now they prefer more modern means like Myspace and Facebook (no official page on there yet, but soon), but Myspace is not for us fans to meet, Facebook is a bit better for that. It can't really replace a forum though, but if Deron would keep this one in the unofficial list, we can at least still get together there :kickass:

About the songs, I think they were just really late this time picking a song to release and whatever is attached to that...

Well, I think the problem is always quite the same. If the band members have any other jobs besides the music, there isn't much time left for "active" communication with the fanbase. Not to forget the family, the other hobbies, the times when you just want to relax instead of thinking about the biz...

Do you know if the guys still have other jobs, Marlies? I am always wondering how many off days they get from their job to get on tour etc. There can't be much time left for holidays with the family or something like that...and I think from that point of view we should accept this state.

I don't know about Toni, but the rest for sure have day jobs, that's the combination they choose. That's why they pretty much pick one good tour a year to be on. Still I would think they would need some extra unpaid leave or something like that. Anyway, I can't imagine how they combine it with family life, hobbies, etc haha. Still I always regretted that they never put in some energy in a forum, they do (luckily) put it in at the myspace for instance (which is of course a way more important tool for promotion).

Well everyone has their lives but when you come into this business you know you have to some "sacrifices" even if little ones. We live in the technology era and you have many places to comunicate with ppl and forum are the best way for band that are starting to get out middle range bands to communicate with their fanbase and thet the fans knows that the nand care for them and wants to hear what they think about the band, etc. A little participation in a forum is not much to ask.

I would undertand if Brainstorm was already a BIG band. Bans like Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, Judas Priest rarely go to their forums but still they go. I'm registered in others bands forums like Helloween, Stratovarius, Rhapsody, Megadeth, Blind Guardian, Manticora, just to name a few and sometimes some band members appear to reply in one or two threads or fan questions. Some even schedule chats to talk with their fans. This is the best way to hear the fanbase and hold the fans. This is a way to make an empathy with the fans and this little gesture also makes to make the fansbase grow (besides the albums and shows of course).

For me is sad to come here and see an almost empty forum. Brainstorm is not an underground band anymore so why most of their fans don't come here? I go to the other forums that I mentioned and they are very alive.

I think the band show think better on this issue.