BrainWorks Studios Tutorial #2 - Mixing (Midi) Drumtracks

Excellent tutorial, nice and clear without any unnecessary talk. And what matters ofcourse: the result sounds good!
It's always nice to see how other people work. Gives you a reason to think about your own mixing style and maybe some fresh ideas. Thank you very much.

Question: I notice that most of your mix is done by UAD plugins. May I ask what UAD card/station you are using, and if you ever run into the problem of maxing out the thing(s) before you are done with the mix? I'm very interested in these plugins, but since the hardware they come with isn't cheap by any means, I'm trying to find out what would be a good startingpoint. Can always add more cards at a later point I guess.

nice man! i am a big fan of your mixes.

thanks a ton man!

Excellent tutorial, nice and clear without any unnecessary talk. And what matters ofcourse: the result sounds good!
It's always nice to see how other people work. Gives you a reason to think about your own mixing style and maybe some fresh ideas. Thank you very much.

Question: I notice that most of your mix is done by UAD plugins. May I ask what UAD card/station you are using, and if you ever run into the problem of maxing out the thing(s) before you are done with the mix? I'm very interested in these plugins, but since the hardware they come with isn't cheap by any means, I'm trying to find out what would be a good startingpoint. Can always add more cards at a later point I guess.

Absolutely.

Well at first i got a solo and thought that'be enough. Then i bought some cool plugins and soon realized i'd need a duo. So i got a duo. And then i got a lot of free store credits to purchase more plugins, that was a promotion back in august/september. Then UA came along with the LA610+ free duo card promotion and once again i gave them my money ahaha. And I don't regret it.

Now i think that for medium mixes, you should be ok with a duo+ a lot of native plugins, or a duo+ a solo+ some native plugs.

BUT! Don't buy the studer a800 because that motherfucker really needs a lot of cpu, so does the fatso. They're both GREAT! But if you want to set the A800 on every single track and also use normal UAD eqs, compressors, ... then you'll need more than 1 quad (maybe 2 quads on really big mixes).

I personnally have 5 cpus and there is a lot of room to work with, but sometimes with the studer i hit the limit or really close and i have to make comprises and that's too bad.

Now UAD may seems expensive, but if you buy everytime there's a promotion or something, it can be really cheaper. December is always really cheap. And usually every month there is so kind of promotion. When there are no real promotions, they'll send you a 50$ voucher. So you almost never have to pay the full price for plugins as displayed on their website.

I got lucky because the summer promotion was really interesting. The cards are a bit pricey but it works really good and it's super slick. my new system with Lion, Pro Tools 10 and UAD 2 is more stable than ever.

Thanks man, as good an answer as I could get! Saves me a few frustrating hours of google.

I think I'll start out with a duo and use it mainly for compression and EQ, and wait for Slate to surprise me with his new tapebus. So many plugins, so little time. And by time, I mean money ofcourse :D

Thanks man, as good an answer as I could get! Saves me a few frustrating hours of google.

I think I'll start out with a duo and use it mainly for compression and EQ, and wait for Slate to surprise me with his new tapebus. So many plugins, so little time. And by time, I mean money ofcourse :D

that's a great plan. check out also the EMT reverbs, especially the 250. there're really fanstastic, and you need 1 maybe 2 per session, so a duo is enough for that too. try the kramer too from waves, it's "just" 99$.

awesome tutorial, what plugins can you recommend as substitutes to UAD? love your mixes on soundcloud!