BREAKING NEWS: "American Idol" still on the air

Last edited by a moderator:
That has nothing to do with whether or not they like it.
I used to like nu-metal, back when I thought it was the heaviest music around. Now though, after having listened to actual metal for over five years, when I listen to nu-metal again it's just not a satisfactory experience for me. So this forces me to consider whether I ever really "liked" that music, or if I just enjoyed the escape from the even more crappy music that surrounded me.

EDIT: Back on the topic of American Idol, I just discovered a couple days ago that my e-wife participated in season eight and made it to the fourth round.

l_cf324fa0dbd74e18a8e1c5a19eb97f49.jpg

I used to like nu-metal, back when I thought it was the heaviest music around. Now though, after having listened to actual metal for over five years, when I listen to nu-metal again it's just not a satisfactory experience for me. So this forces me to consider whether I ever really "liked" that music, or if I just enjoyed the escape from the even more crappy music that surrounded me.

It doesn't force you to consider whether you liked it, but rather why you liked it, and how superficial that appeal was. That does not alter whether or not you enjoyed the music, for whatever reason you had for enjoying it. I used to like Hootie and the Blowfish because my parents listened to them and played them a lot on camping trips. I liked them because of those reasons, and now I don't like them, but that does not mean that, in hindsight, I didn't actually like what I was listening to.

TBH.

i actually saw this episode and to be fair the guy was wearing a gun holster and looked like an insane redneck, i'd have taken it as a threat too

It doesn't force you to consider whether you liked it, but rather why you liked it, and how superficial that appeal was. That does not alter whether or not you enjoyed the music, for whatever reason you had for enjoying it. I used to like Hootie and the Blowfish because my parents listened to them and played them a lot on camping trips. I liked them because of those reasons, and now I don't like them, but that does not mean that, in hindsight, I didn't actually like what I was listening to.

TBH.
Right, I see what you're saying.

TBH.
My interpretation was that he was not saying he didn't like nu metal then, but rather that if he had known what was out there he wouldn't have bothered with it because other stuff does what he liked in it better.

It's also worth noting that some pop music is actually good, even though a lot of what gets played on the radio is not.
Yeah. And then there's a lot where you think "this isn't good" but it's insanely catchy and sticks in your head. Like that song from Eurotrip.

The reason it's called "pop" music is because people like it. It should not be a mystery then why people watch a show featuring music they like.
I didn't say "shitty" as in "all pop music is shitty" but rather as in objectively shitty pop music - dull, bland, and uninteresting even to people who listen to pop music.
But I've actually never watched American Idol and I realized after watching that X-factor video thing that maybe these people don't write their own music? So I have no idea.

My interpretation was that he was not saying he didn't like nu metal then, but rather that if he had known what was out there he wouldn't have bothered with it because other stuff does what he liked in it better.

Well obviously, I understood that. My point was just that he still liked the music then even though he can't see anything in it now, or may not even know what he saw in it then when he did like it.

Yeah, but his point is that people listen to and enjoy pop music, but probably would listen to other stuff if they were exposed to more of what's out there.

Not saying I agree with this.

;)

I'm trying out a new thing now, by the way. It's called not hating you; we'll see how it goes.
Sweet.

gR plays that at practice.
I play it all the time when I'm trying to play something and I get frustrated because it's absurdly easy, sounds good, and doesn't sidetrack me much. Only the melody, though; the rest is just pop-punk power chord stuff that's really boring.