Breaking News!

AMBR

Metal Grandma
Mar 12, 2003
New Jersey
Heard any news around the metal world? Come share it here.
I'll start off with a bit of a downer.

From the Official Finntroll Website:
29.01.2006 Bye, and thanks for all the fish...
With a heavy heart I bring you the following news: In a band meeting one hour ago I was fired as a singer of Finntroll. Reasons are many and for the most part private, but personal differences and lack of discussion have led my bandmates to doubt my commitment for this band. I believe this will be discussed widely in the following days and more info will undoubtedly be out soon for your viewing pleasure. I will only say the following: These past three years have been the best times of my life and I want to thank all the friends I've gained from this, crews past and present, supporters who came to our shows and shared the good and the bad times. I will always cherish you in my heart. Thanks for my now ex-bandmates for sharing this experience with me. Life goes on and wounds will heal. The future remains to be seen.

Thank all of you and see you sometime, somewhere.

-Wilska
Wilska is a great guy and Ben and I felt very privileged to have had the opportunity to interview him in NYC. I'm not going to speculate on the reasons and wisdom of this move, but as we all know, this happens in bands all the time. I just wish the rest of Finntroll success in finding a singer the same caliber as Big W, and I wish Wilska all the best in his future endeavors.

Whoa!

That is very, very, very sad news. Words cannot express the sadness and anger I feel right now at the guys from Finntroll. In Big Tapio they found a frontman who could deliver the goods as well, if not better, than former vocalist Katla. I feel honored that I could see him perform just once as a frontperson for the crazy trolls.

This may spell the end for the Finntroll machine, as I dare them to find anyone better than Vicar Tapio Wilska.

Even though this news sucks, thanks for sharing it with us.

Sad news indeed! Finntroll is just gaining name in the scene worldwide and they really don't deserve this kind of incidents to pull them back. S*it happens though.

They'll find a new frontman and Big W will find a new band, but I'd rather wanted to see them stay together, because this was the best lineup they had this far. Maybe they can find someone as good as Big W but also they are in a kind of hurry, because the next gigs are booked in April.

Maybe it was just a spat and they'll make up? Hey, one can hope, no? When I talked to Wilska in NYC he seemed VERY committed to the band. They all looked to be getting along, but we rarely know what goes on behind the scenes, so it's not fair to speculate. I sure hope they pull it all together, one way or another and Wilska finds himself in a situation that makes him happy.

Ok, and now the latest from the Nightwish camp. This is a little more uplifting!

GREETINGS FROM TUOMAS
It`s been 3 months since the last show in Hartwall Arena and things are finally calming down. I just read through the yet unfinished version of the upcoming Nightwish-book. I was very impressed. It made me feel nostalgic, happy, ashamed and sad at the same time. This book is written by Mr. Mape Ollila and it`s being finished as we speak. The Finnish version of the book will be released in May. Also the live dvd "End Of An Era" will be released later this year but we have no information about the exact release date yet.
At the moment I`m occupied with writing songs for the next Nightwish album. 14 pieces done so far. I`m also participating in Timo Rautiainen`s solo album, the new For My Pain album, and some Kotiteollisuus´ live gigs before summer. With Nightwish we will start rehearsing the new stuff in June, entering the studio in September. Again we will write a diary through this site so you guys know what`s happening while in the studio. New Nightwish-homepage will also see daylight soon.

At the moment Emppu has his own side projects, Marco is working with the new Tarot-album and Jukka is busy with his new project, unrelated to music business.

The new singer will be announced through this site when the time comes. Please believe in nothing that`s not confirmed on this page.

Spirits up,

Tuomas

Official statement from Finnroll's website:

www.finntroll.net said:
An official press-release from Finntroll, for immediate release

"We have reached a situation in which we find it impossible to continue
Finntroll with our singer Wilska. This decision was very hard to make, but
after long talks and deep conversations we finally came to the conclusion
that if we were to continue Finntroll, we had to let Wilska go. We thank
Wilska for the past three years.
Finntroll is now actively searching for a new singer, and will continue
working on a new album which should come out by the end of 2006. Although
Finntroll does not have a permanent singer in its ranks at the moment, we
will not let this affect our already scheduled performances."

-Finntroll

So, that's it, the Trolls will continue trolling without Wilska. Business as usual, very common incident with bands these days, I guess... :erk:

And the story continues.......

THE RELEASE OF THE DVD MIGHT BE POSTPONED

Today there was news in a finnish newspaper "Iltalehti" which says that the release of the "End Of An Era" -dvd is in danger to be postponed because of surprising agreement- problems. The manager of Spin-Farm Oy Riku Pääkkönen tells that Tarja's manager Marcelo Cabuli has demanded Nightwish and their management to sign an agreement where he demands that no-one has the permission give statements in public about things related to Tarja or Marcelo without Marcelo's literary acceptance. This kind of deal would practically prevent the release of the upcoming Nightwish-book. "We were really wondering this deal. We realized immediately that this kind of deal can not be signed. You simply
can't make deals about such things" Riku pääkkönen tells in Iltalehti. Whoever breaks the deal should pay a fine of 250 000 euros.

The concert of Hartwall Areena is still meant to be released in both cd- and dvd-form. However, this release needs the consent of all parties and due to this unfortunate agreement-mess it seems difficult to get one person's consent.

In the worst case fans from Finland need to buy their dvd outside the borders of Scandinavia.

"Maybe this is yet another example of how fans are treated" Tuomas tells in the article of Iltalehti.
"

---------------------------------------------

Just going to paste what I wrote in the NW forum. Too discouraged to do little else. This is so pathetic.

"Wow. :confused:

This certainly does give added credibility to Tuomas' letter. I've been trying to give Tarja and her husband the benefit of the doubt but it was hard and it's now impossible. I think it's not really greed that is the driving factor but the more addicting influence of power. MC wants CONTROL. This is the last ditch effort to manipulate the rest of the band and also prevent any bad info. on himself and Tarja to be released. I would rather wait as long as it takes for the DVD to be released on the rest of NW's terms then give in to their manipulations. Poor Tarja obviously doesn't see how this is going to hurt her reputation. Who can respect her after this?"

She really has been brainwashed by this guy. After the incident with the wacky doctor, it's clear she is easily taken adavantage of. Damn shame. Too bad she doesn't have someone close to her that can guide her and show some common sense. This guy is a first class manipulator. Poor Tarja.

I hope she gets one inkling of sense and kicks that scumbag to the curb. She has become his puppet. Watch Marcelo pull the strings and she will dance.

Our former Finnish darling has been corrupted. It's like "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" or something.

Folks;

What you have seen on this board is my earlier post being justified. I said that the DVD will not see the light of day for a long, long, time. Marcelo made a very serious tactical error in this ongoing debacle. What he should have done was keep his mouth shut. Why? Answer: If the DVD sees the light of day, people will start to reminice about Tarja no longer a part of Nightwish. There could be a huge backlash against the band if the new singer is not up to par. So, If I was Tuomas I would AGREE to Marcelo's terms...and then contact Spinefarm IMMEDIATELY to demand that the CD and DVD NEVER see the light of day for at least 10 years.

What would this do? One would say that this would be caving i to Marcelo. You are right. But, sometimes cave-ins have unintended consequences. Like making it easier to erase Tarja from the minds of Nightwish fans. The job of doing that has beciome much easier because of Marcelo's stupidity. Tuomas needs to react smartly. He needs to call a news conference announcing that he will agree to the terms regarding the DVD and CD ONLY. Then, go to the nearest corner to call spinefarm to put them in cold storage.

Tarja, be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Peace,
Ray C.

If the smart guy thinks that he can squeeze someone from the balls and force his will like he maybe is used to do at home, he really needs to learn the nature of Finns the hard way. Hehe... you see, these people he tries to manipulate with his nonsense demands for signing a 'silence-contract' concerning public statements about him and Tarja, are not responding with the army of lawyers he might be waiting for, but are right now feeding him to the public and making him look ridiculous.

I think he just has burned lot of bridges in business relations when his ways of doing busines are revealed in public. Who wants to make deals with someone who wants more than his share of everything? Actually there have been warnig voices around him for a while now. Ayreon crew and maybe Gamma Ray people might have some experiences with him from past years to share if someone would like to go and ask them. To start with...

The sad part in all this, Petri, is that he is taking a marvelous talent down with him.

Tarja, maybe Janne looked better after all.

Peace,
Ray C.

yeah, I liked Wilska even more than Katla... but they say that it was personal problems or so... lets just hope they can find a vocalist as good as Tapsa

In regards to the "contract" MC wants the remaining members of Nightwish and their people to sign - you cannot allow yourself to be forced into something like that. It basically sounds like a blanket agreement that says nobody can ever say anything, even something neutral like "yeah, I heard so-and-so is doing well." How would one person be able to abide by that, let alone a group of perhaps dozens or so? Like AMBR said, I gave both sides the benefit of doubt before this, (there's always two sides) but not so much now. This will backfire on MC and Tarja regardless of how the guys handle it, so I doubt they will be pushed into this agreement.

I found out today that Matt Barlow formally of Iced Earth is working as a police officer in Georgetown(through Metal Storm while googling on Matt),he looks totally different and shatters any thought I would hear him sing as a heavy metal artist again(one can hope *sad panda*), He sings in a police force band but at that website no audio to listen to. Man I'm devasted.

I lost this topic for awhile due to some spastic user settings. Gonna try and bring it back now. Please post any metal news you hear. Sad (temporary, we hope) news from Symphony X:
====== 08.MAY.06 ======
European fesitvals cancelled as LePond prepares for surgery
World Management and Symphony X regretfully announce that the European Festivals for June in Sweden and Spain will unfortunately have to be cancelled due to severe illness. We hope that Michael LePond’s surgery will go well, and wish him a speedy and full recovery. We would like to let all the fans know that we will be back on tour in fall of 2006 around release of the band’s next record.

Please read Post below:
FROM MICHAEL LEPOND -

To whom it may concern,

I have been diagnosed with Crohn's disease (an Inflammatory Bowel disorder). This has caused an obstruction in my small intestine, making it impossible to digest solid foods. Currently, I am hospitalized where they can feed me through an I.V. unit supplemented with a liquid diet.

But, there is some good news. The doctors tell me that with a surgical procedure, they will have me back to 100% in about 6 weeks, and although it is a chronic disease, this procedure will make it much easier to control it's effects in the future.

I want to thank the band, the crew, the fans and everyone else involved for your understanding and support during this tough time. You will all make my healing process much easier and I'll be back on the bass in no time.

Michael LePond

Note:

We have set up a mailbox where get well wishes can be sent to Mike..send your e-mail to getwellmike@symphonyx.com and it will be printed out and sent to him until he's able to access the mailbox himself.

Jax

Major bummer. Was really looking forward to seeing them at Sweden Rock, but Mike's health, of course, comes first.

Aw man no! I really hope he gets better. SymX has got to be one of my favorite bands of all time, I really hope Mike gets better--and not just for the band's sake! That really sux hopefully we'll hear some good news soon.

Well, I don't know if this is news, but it sure is hilarious:
From Blabbermouth:
Reunited Florida metallers CRIMSON GLORY are scheduled to perform at the Rockwave Festival on July 12 at Terravibe in Malakasa, Greece. The band's guitarist Jon Drenning has posted the following update on the band's official blog:

"Well... This is the first daily blog for the traveling CRIMSON GLORY Freak Show...

"We all arrived to Miami, Florida safely on Friday evening... All is well. We get up and get the the airport. All is well. We all board the airplane. All is well. We have 5 minutes before takeoff and and security guard came on the plane and asked Midnight to leave... Why? Because he was a little tipsy and was puking into a bag... Doesn't everybody to do it???

"Anyways... Not good.

"So, I tell Midnight to go directly to the check-in gate and get the next flight...

"Midnight stays behind while we all take off for The Big Apple en route to Athens, Greece. We have no idea what happened to Midnight after we departed. We have no way of contacting him beacuse he has no cell phone... We presume he is either going to get on the next available flight or he has been arrested for drunk and disorderly conduct...

"Welcome to 'Spinal Tap'.

"In the meantime, we arrive to New York. I check to see what happened to Midnight. The Delta attendant says he has been booked on a flight the following day... If they let him on the plane is another issue...

"Anyway, our plane from New York to Athens is overbooked... Ben, Amanda and I agree to be rerouted through Budapest, Hungary, in exchange for being upgraded to first-class. Very cool! The difference between coach and first class on an international flight is like night and day. There is no comparison.

"So, the decision to be rerouted was a no brainer. Except that now, we have all been seperated in three groups. Three of us are going to Athens via Budapest, Hungary; Six of us are going directly to Athens and Midnight is still stuck (or arrested) in the airport in Miami...

"As I write this first blog, I am sitting in the Budapest, Hungary airport. Ben, Amanda and I are getting ready to board our plane to Athens, Greece. But they cannot guarantee our luggage will be on the flight. They say it may have already been sent to Athens. Guess we will find out when we arrive in Athens..."

Wow, this is so sad.

From Blabbermouth:

Liechtenstein-based gothic metal band ELIS has posted the following message on its official web site, www.elis.li:

"Deeply confused and sad, we have to inform you, that Sabine [Dünser, vocals] [photo] isn't among us anymore!

"[During] the band's rehearsal on Friday [July 7], Sabine suffered a cerebral hemorrhage [from] which she died a day later at the hospital!

"[Out of respect for Sabine's] family and friends, we have decided to take the homepage from the net.

"We need time now to decide if and how we approach further and we will not answer any mails at the moment."

Dünser was born June 27, 1977 and joined ELIS, then still known as ERBEN DER SCHOPFUNG, in 2001. ELIS recently completed work on the follow-up to 2004's "Dark Clouds in a Perfect Sky" at Mastersound Studios in Stuttgart with producer Alexander Krull (ATROCITY, LEAVES' EYES). A video for "Der Letzte Tag", taken from the last CD, can be viewed at this location (right-click and "Save Target As"; 6.4 MB, Windows Media).