circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Brick Bath – American Currency
Crash Music Inc. – CMU 61152 – September 6th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

brickbathamericancurrency.gif

Maybe Brick Bath would be flattered if they heard that I immediately thought of Pantera when American Currency fluttered out of my speakers. Oddly, the band has a distinct, Southern U.S. sound but hail from California, and their latest turns out to be their junior effort. In essence, friends of the waterlogged South – a locale that’s spawned acts like Crowbar, Eyehategod, and trillions upon trillions of Anselmo-related projects – will perhaps find more to love with this Crash Music Inc. endeavor than the average music observer. On one level, I can tell the quartet is earnest. Yet, on another level, there are several elements that mar the album, thus damning it to an early grave.

While the Pantera admiration is piecemeal at first glimpse, the culmination is most assuredly “Memeories” (sic). In the sixth track, Hubbard (vocals) basically parrots Anselmo, Meyer (guitars) borrows Dimebag Darrel’s trademark squeals, and Owen (drums) riddles his performances with Vinnie Paul-esque double-bass. However, Brick Bath are arguably capable of penning some outstanding riffs, as seen/heard on “Bleed with Me” and “Victim Again.” Still, when all is said and done, American Currency feels like a second-rate version of dozens of albums that have already spent their appropriate, deserved time in the spotlight. Furthermore, the senseless political ranting, overt endorsements of hedonism, and mindless antagonistic threatening – which is birthed by the lyrics sheet, hardened by attitude, and then spat out by semi-distorted vocals – are all disquieting, which downplays the package’s overall value. Unless made new in an unforeseen special way, those topics can be categorized as…exhausted beyond resuscitation. In addition, I guess someone forgot to proofread the back cover, because I don’t spell “Religious Experiance” (sic) and “Memeories” (sic) the same way that Brick Bath does.

Undoubtedly, this type of metal caters to a specific audience, and I think that Brick Bath could be integrated into the applicable scene with little to no opposition. But, as far as I’m concerned, there’s not much of an incentive for me to revisit American Currency after this. In other words, there’s always room for improvement but this record’s been spent.

6/10

Official Brick Bath Website
Official Crash Music Inc. Website

Vocals are very, very monotonous, which is a big downer. The very first track raged like hell, but really, my local scene has got a lot of bands like this.

I will bet that they kill live, though.

Hubbard (vocals) basically parrots Anselmo, Meyer (guitars) borrows Dimebag Darrel’s trademark squeals, and Owen (drums) riddles his performances with Vinnie Paul-esque double-bass

No Rex? WTFRI!!!!!!!111!!

Prick Bath are arguably capable of penning some outstanding riffs

If, by "arguably," you mean "on their next ablum"

Unless made new in an unforeseen special way, those topics can be categorized as…far beyond drivel.

I guess someone forgot to proofread the back cover, because I don’t spell “Religious Experiance” (sic) and “Memeories” (sic) the same way that Brick Bath does.

Get. Experianced!

“Victim Again.”

Meta. Eye. Ronic.

the band has a distinct, Southern U.S. sound but hail from California

Texas doom from Portland, anyone?

There's not much incentive to visit TEH SCENE after this, and they should probably FQ,S