British idioms

Defiance

I vårens ljusa kvällar
Hi everyone!

I would really appreciate if you could write some British idioms that are currently in use, preferably in London. If you can please write all the non-vulgar ones :p .

I am really thankful for any help provided, please feel free to write as many as you want, and be sure to include the meaning.

Thanks a lot!

- Defiance

And it does have "not cricket" (under N) as well as "sticky wicket"

A word of caution - some of those are a little antique - if you used them the best you could hope for is a dunk in the Thames.

The main problem with asking British people about them is many are just used so matter of factly that British people wouldn't know they were using an idiom. Half the population probably doen't even know what one is!

I'm intrigued to know why you want to open this Pandora's Box!

I have a very good book written by an italian journalist who spent a lot of time in England, it's a sort of complement to the standard grammar book, dealing with "spoken english" rather than the "correct english" you are taught in school. Well, this book has a good list of "tested" idioms, I'll write down some when I'm home - meaning included, for our friend ;)

Another good source, if you can find a copy, is Brewers Phrase and Fable.

For instance it has a spot-on definition of "Lavages of time" as "mildly irritating yet occasionally funny Italian".:lol::lol::lol:

"If you'll pardon my French" is priceless :D

:lol: hahahaha that's the best idiom I've ever heard! Why do they hate us so much…? :p (My dad is British so you know).

Another good source, if you can find a copy, is Brewers Phrase and Fable.

For instance it has a spot-on definition of "Lavages of time" as "mildly irritating yet occasionally funny Italian".:lol::lol::lol:

Haha really? :lol: :lol:

And it does have "not cricket" (under N) as well as "sticky wicket"

A word of caution - some of those are a little antique - if you used them the best you could hope for is a dunk in the Thames.

The main problem with asking British people about them is many are just used so matter of factly that British people wouldn't know they were using an idiom. Half the population probably doen't even know what one is!

I'm intrigued to know why you want to open this Pandora's Box!

Yes that's the main problem that I have. I can just google British idioms and I'll have a huge list, but I don't know which are the current ones in use! That's why I need your help friends :) .

This is for an assignment of the Uni, I have to design a unit for a book, and the topic of my unit is something like "London: Its Art and History." I am designing the unit for art students that study English, so if you have any ideas, suggestions or comments you may want to say feel free to do so.

Thanks a lot everyone, keep em' coming!

:)

Well if that's your subject,

I would be doubly cautious of Cockney rhyming slang. It is mostly only used at the same time as putting on a ridiculous Dick Van Dyk accent (from Mary Poppins) with only a handful of phrases getting genuinely used by real people. Barnet for hair is one you will hear (from Barnet Fair), boat for face (from Boat Race), china for mate (from China Plate), kettle for watch (I have no idea why) and some others. It also depends where you live in London or its immediate surrounds.

Two things that have an artistry of their own and also contribute to history in some ways, or at least nod to history, are the London Underground map and the Monopoly boardgame. Worth having a look at.

As I said before it is very, very difficult to just reel off a number of current phrases as they are so absorbed into conversation that the speaker is almost unaware they are using an idiom.

If you have a list you are working with feel free to email me - you should be able to get it off my profile on here - and I will happily go through them to define and discard where possible.

Well if that's your subject,

I would be doubly cautious of Cockney rhyming slang. It is mostly only used at the same time as putting on a ridiculous Dick Van Dyk accent (from Mary Poppins) with only a handful of phrases getting genuinely used by real people. Barnet for hair is one you will hear (from Barnet Fair), boat for face (from Boat Race), china for mate (from China Plate), kettle for watch (I have no idea why) and some others. It also depends where you live in London or its immediate surrounds.

Two things that have an artistry of their own and also contribute to history in some ways, or at least nod to history, are the London Underground map and the Monopoly boardgame. Worth having a look at.

As I said before it is very, very difficult to just reel off a number of current phrases as they are so absorbed into conversation that the speaker is almost unaware they are using an idiom.

If you have a list you are working with feel free to email me - you should be able to get it off my profile on here - and I will happily go through them to define and discard where possible.

Ah yes I know about Cockney, mait. Yeah actually a previous unit I created had a section of "the tube" ;) . I guess I could include something about the tube in this unit too, perhaps as a cultural side-note.
Here's the list that I have right now, I am doubting if I should include the last 3:

not my cup of tea, thin end of the wedge, (not) the cat's pajamas, that's not cricket, to have cold feet, sticky wicket, play gooseberry, dance attendance, bath-dodger, mugwump, penguin suit, bobby dazzler.

not my cup of tea, thin end of the wedge, (not) the cat's pajamas, that's not cricket, to have cold feet, sticky wicket, play gooseberry, dance attendance, bath-dodger, mugwump, penguin suit, bobby dazzler.

Not my cup of tea - something is acceptable and understandable, and is quite possibly similar to things I like, but isnt for me. e.g. whilst i can acknowledge their song writing and popularity, Pink Floyd arent my cup of tea. I imagine it developed once large numbers of tea flavours started arriving in the UK

Thin end of the wedge - literal reference to a door wedge (i.e. the prop to keep it open). This incident (possibly seeming fairly big in itself) is actually only the start. The first skirmish in a war would be a good example. It is definitely current but isnt used as often as it could be

Cats pyjamas - not one for me but for some bizarre reason this seems to be a reference to something being great. I would prefer "it's the bees knees"

That's not cricket - cricket is considered a gentlemanly pursuit (by people that have never been at the crease) so anything breaking the rules isnt cricket. It is usually used tongue in cheek (oh no - another one!) that is, ironically.

Having cold feet - bottling out, pulling out of something. I'm almost certain this was from a book i.e. an author just made it up or else assimilated something they used or were aware of

Sticky wicket - another glorious cricket reference. In cricket the wicket needs to be hard and even. If it is wet (sticky) then the ball is unpredictable and more difficult. So if a person is in a situation that is alluded to as a sticky wicket then they are in trouble

Play gooseberry - never known where this came from. Basically any time a couple is together and another is there to interrupt whatever they had planned - a younger brother being babysat by his older sister and her noyfriend would be the gooseberry

Dance attendance - I have never heard this

Bath dodger - normally used to identify a layabout, unemployed oik type - it came to the fore when various "hippy" types were protesting about woodland being chopped down for roads. I never use it - the guy I work with most of the time uses it a lot!

mug wump - again, no idea

penguin suit - is this a true idiom? it is more a similie, comparing a formal suit to the markings of a penguin

bobby dazzler - now that is a good one. Normally used in humour, something amazing. often used to describe a great football goal.

I have a personal preference for those that come from something - like the cricket ones. An example is swinging the lead - meaning someone shirking their duties, normally at work, coming from the age of sail when a sailor would be sent to measure the depth with a leaded line and would take an age over it.

'Taking a rain check', refers to opting out of something. This comes from tennis matches, when it rains and they have to stop the match.

'What on Mars are you talking about?' - this is a Threshold idiom used in London by annoyed Londoners when they have to put up with a 'mildly irritating yet occasionally funny Italian' who talks about things which only makes sense to him! :lol::p

An idea that just struck me: instead of annoying all of us why don't you travel to England and gel with the crowd to have a more in depth experience of idioms in practice? This would make your project far more interactive an interesting! :)

This is a multi national forum so hopefully someone else gets something out of it too!

And exploring the English language is one of my many nerdy interests (quite keen on Latin too!!! amongst other things)

You are forgetting some of the most popular, like:

- by the skin of my teeth: doing something (e.g. catching a train) at the very last minute. We have something simmiliar in italian - which makes no sense at all as well, it sounds like: "by the breaking of the headphone" :D
- to go nuts: go crazy

Anyway, BTDM is right when he says: "it is very, very difficult to just reel off a number of current phrases as they are so absorbed into conversation that the speaker is almost unaware they are using an idiom", I promise I'll write down the list of the above mentioned book, it seemed pretty accurate.

With this said, I would recommend anyone this website: http://www.urbandictionary.com/ - at least to have a good laugh!

The dialog from various UK areas and eras is so colorful to me.

Being totally American as in I have never left, or even gone very far from the Northeast I just wanted to say, not my cup of tea, cats meow, pardon my French and cold feet have always been in use around here the four decades I remember so Im not sure if they are what you are looking for. Cold feet typically used for grooms that try to back out at the last minute. Maybe cats pajamas stemed from cats meow being used first, as cats meow makes more literal sense ? Panties in a bunch has become quite popular here and I have no idea how long thats been around. Seems I saw it first on some movie that was an Irish setting. Then there sowing of wild oats which is ancient and probably came from English immigrants. Skin of my teeth has been around the US as long as I remember... a great Megadeth song too ! Rain check, same deal, I've heard it as long as I can remember.

Im just saying all this because there has got to be more colorful idioms used in England, like the cricket ones, than these that have been common in my country boy life in the States for ages.

:lol::lol::lol:

I think I heard it for the first time in that song, actually

Got through by the skin of my teeth, hair on my ass, knick of time and so many other have been around forever. Daves pretty darn good, high speed dirt should catch on more than it has, rather than terms like road pizza and bug on a windshield, one I came up with, only saying that because I didnt hear it anywhere else is flat puddy cat