Broken iLok - Please Halp!!!

Jan 25, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I broke my iLok by knocking into it when I stupidly had it in the front usb port. I am wondering what is a better option, buying a new iLok and emailing all of the companies I have products with, or simply submitting an RMA.

Anybody with experience have some advice. Anyway, fuck iLok. It really sucks when you are starting a project with midi drums and really want to use trigger to trigger samples. Perfect timing :Shedevil:

I did something similar a while back (knocked it against something whilst it was in my laptop) - I managed to get all the licenses off it by holding it at an angle whilst it was in the USB port and opening the manager and deactivating them, it was a lucky escaple.

Anyway, since then I'm convinced these things are designed to break so they can extract a fee from you - I've had multiple other usb sticks and none of them have been as flimsy or broke so so easily. I don't think emailing the companies will be much good (it'd be an easy scam otherwise) so if you can't get it to sit right then you might have to bite the bullet and pay the daft fee.

Yup, you *have* to go through Pace for a replacement to get *your* licenses.

This is why I have only a few iLok'd products and won't ever be updating them or adding new licenses. If I break my iLok, I just won't use those products anymore, and I'll make sure I call the CEOs of all those companies and let them know that they're morons for trusting a third party like Pace.

I use a 6" USB extension.

If I'm going to ding something, it'll be a $5 easily replaceable part ...and the iLok can still be used till the replacement extension comes in.

Even if you get the license insurance, PACE won't automatically put permanent licenses back on your iLok. All that the insurance does is give you temporary ones while you contact the issuing companies.

I (stupidly) destroyed an iLok once, and without going the temporary license route I had all of my licenses back on a new iLok within 2 days. Manufacturers will work with you as long as you give them your destroyed iLok RMA#.

My experience was very positive and I still think iLok is the best and most convenient form of copy protection for someone that moves between studios.

I did not take the time to search for it so please excuze the question but is there a way to make a copy of an iLok? I mean not pirating anything of course (would be hell of a joke!!) but official iLok duplicata. Zero Downtime program is not really what I mean I think (or I misunderstood because of my shitty Frenglish ahah)

Edit: regarding the device, I always plugged my iLok using an extension USB cable :)

I thought I lost an iLok once, and the few companies I contacted were understanding. I think you should be fine with your licenses. I have to buy an extension for my USB though. In fact I might have one.

I know some desktop PC people actually plug a PCIe card inside and DIY a bit so the ilok stays inside the case.

I did not take the time to search for it so please excuze the question but is there a way to make a copy of an iLok? I mean not pirating anything of course (would be hell of a joke!!) but official iLok duplicata. Zero Downtime program is not really what I mean I think (or I misunderstood because of my shitty Frenglish ahah)

Edit: regarding the device, I always plugged my iLok using an extension USB cable :)

None whatsoever. In the old days you used to be able to have a backup iLok. You can't do that anymore.

OK So I filed the RMA, sent them my broken iLok, and they sent me a blank iLok before ever even receiving my broken iLok. Is there something I am missing here? I was under the impression that I was supposed to get a new iLok WITH all my licenses. I am seriously confused, and was just wondering if anybody has any input while I wait on the iLok's incredibly slow support team.

If I would have known this shit I would have just bought a blank iLok and emailed all the companies. Fuck Pace, Fuck them up their smelly goat ass :yow:

Well, finally got my license back today but I still think iLok is cancer. How could it not be possible to disable an iLok remotely? All the licenses are on the iLok server. All they would have to do is disable the iLok remotely, and then transfer the licenses to the new one. If this was an online process it could literally take 5 minutes. So yeah, I'm an idiot for not having a dongle or a usb extender, but I still say iLok is a giant pile of fresh elephant diarrhea.

Well, finally got my license back today but I still think iLok is cancer. How could it not be possible to disable an iLok remotely? All the licenses are on the iLok server. All they would have to do is disable the iLok remotely, and then transfer the licenses to the new one. If this was an online process it could literally take 5 minutes. So yeah, I'm an idiot for not having a dongle or a usb extender, but I still say iLok is a giant pile of fresh elephant diarrhea.

Because the licenses aren't on the iLok server, they're on the iLok. If someone had your iLok, theoretically, they could download all the plugin installers and use them without once connecting the iLok to the internet.

Of course, the possibility of an iLok being stolen and someone using the plugins is so remote that it's not even worth discussing. iLok is just the most painful (to end users) option for software protection*.

Also, they're the only company I can recall that were able to wipe out everyone's licenses with a software update. That's criminal stupidity. Everyone says "well, if you lose your car keys, you can't drive your car". Well, guess what? The dealership gave me *two* keys, and I can take the spare and have another one made a few blocks away if I lose the first one.

*I used the term protection on purpose. Pace may be decent enough for stopping piracy, but the way they operate seems to be inspired by the mafia.

They DO have all your licenses on their server, because if you lose your iLok you can file an RMA without sending them a broken iLok, and you still get your licenses. And if somebody stole your iLok, would it really matter if they disabled that iLok and put the licenses on another one? The licenses still have your name on it but you probably wouldn't get it back either way.