Broken Shure SM57! HELP!!!!

::XeS::

Mar 30, 2005
Italy
www.myspace.com
Hi
Last week I bought a new SM57 from ebay. Yesterday I opened the package and I tried to open the mic for an internal check........
When I unscrewed the caps, the 2 red wires was disconnected! The wires are very very very thin (I think there are 2/3 filaments into a wire) and when you unscrew the cap or the mic (in the middle), they could turn bad and broke
Now I don't know if the mic was already broken or if it appens when I unscrewed the mic...
This wires are shit...a little turn and they remain in your hands...
Now I have the cap with 2 wires red broken, a yellow wire broken and a green wire broken....:(
Here the pics:

What should I do? I think to write to the vendor...but if he doesn't change the mic? I can sold the wires, but they are broken in some critical points:
- the cap, difficult to change the wires here (pic1)
- the green wire broken very close the transformer (and the glue...pic3)

What do you think guys??? :cry:

That SM57 looks like a fake...I'm pretty positive that it is. Please don't get defensive about it. PM me with the eBay sellers name and any info that you have.

Yeah I will post some pics of my 57 just so you can compare I bought mine through an authorized dealer brand new so I am 100% possitive mine is the real deal.

Ok here ya go:

DSCF0911.jpg

As you can see/compare my chassis is pretty different looking.

And yes you can probably see it but the stupid black wire broke when I twisted it off, luckily I have the mad soldering skillz.

that would be a very easy fix for any competent guy with a soldering iron.

if the wire is broken right at the glue (not sure why), some glue can be removed by boiling the body and then scraping away some glue while it's still hot. it'll be a mess though.

I see no reason for the wires to be broken as they are.

I have soldering skills too, but the problem is that these wires are so thin and if they turned bad when you unscrew the mic, they brake easely..

Guidargodgt: can you post other pictures of your mic? I didn't see too many differences between your and mine (only a little difference, but your pic is blurred and then subject is a little too far

Anyway, thank you guys for the support!!! It's a fucking bad day :\

I have worked on numerous 57s and right, the wires are thin, but not so delicate that they break right off

after soldering the wires to the capsule, be sure to twist the capsule some so they'll unwind some when the capsule is screwed onto the body.

Here I tried to rotate the little the green wire and it was near the breaking point...
If I'll decide to sold the wires..I have thought to rewire all the mic with more large wires...is it possible? The 2 red wires pass into the capsule and I don't know if it could be open :\

Guirargodgt, when you spin the mic capsule does it spin freely or does it unscrew the mic capsule?
Because my mic unscrew in 2 points: mic capsule and central position (the one where you have done the photo). Is your mic unscrewed only in one point?

The vendor answers me that if I want he can send me another new sm57 or that he can pay back.
I have said him that probably he has fake mics and I have asked him to do the "spin capsule" test (he bought the mics from another vendor...I think my vendor is not responsible about this)...now I'm waiting his answer.

Ok...the guy answers me that he tried to spin the capsule and it unscrew the mic.
He said me that he pay back me immediately (selling price included). It was very sorry.
Fortunally, he is a very honest guy!