Browser: IE or Netscape.

Which browser do you use

• Internet Explorer

Votes: 30 93.8%
  • Netscape

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Opera is not better. It doesn't offer full support for web standards. As a web programmer, that is the first thing I look for and it should be the most important to everyone who wants to get the full experience from every site they visit. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Konqueror, it is the worst for support the standards, but remains fairly popular in the Linux community. Netscape 6 supports most, but it is still too buggy to use regularly. IE 6 also supports most and is relatively stable (just remember to install the security patches). So, the real answer is there is no good browser (none have caught up with the Javascript standard and thus are a thorn in my programming side, grr!!), but I use IE 'cause it's the closest that is out there.

You got all that?

Opera is not better. It doesn't offer full support for web standards. As a web programmer, that is the first thing I look for and it should be the most important to everyone who wants to get the full experience from every site they visit. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Konqueror, it is the worst for support the standards, but remains fairly popular in the Linux community. Netscape 6 supports most, but it is still too buggy to use regularly. IE 6 also supports most and is relatively stable (just remember to install the security patches). So, the real answer is there is no good browser (none have caught up with the Javascript standard and thus are a thorn in my programming side, grr!!), but I use IE 'cause it's the closest that is out there.

You got all that?
Makes sense, and obvious why i prefer Opera by far. Because i dont want the shit... i have pictures, audio, video, java, etc, etc disabled by default... if im looking at a page i want info, not pretty shit.. and opera is the best for me for such a situation. If your in it for the full internet experience then yeh opera definitely has its drawbacks.

Originally posted by YaYoGakk
Makes sense, and obvious why i prefer Opera by far. Because i dont want the shit... i have pictures, audio, video, java, etc, etc disabled by default... if im looking at a page i want info, not pretty shit.. and opera is the best for me for such a situation. If your in it for the full internet experience then yeh opera definitely has its drawbacks.

That's all well and good, but the major sites are starting to require you have them enabled or you won't get anything at all. It costs way too much money to make 10 different versions of every page. I imagine in another 2 years, you won't be able to visit any major site without javascript and cookies enabled. I know all the sites I work on already require it. It's not just about looking pretty, but also about providing better functionality and easier navigation.

I've always used Netscape, and the anti-popup feature built in is great.

Lately IE has been better.

I do still use Mozilla, and always have used it for my email.

Screw Microsoft, I'd rather use as much non- MS stuff as I can.

IE is the worst browser ever. It's just a carbon copy of Netscape. There's no difference. Just another Microsoft marketing scheme.

I use Mozilla. And so should you.

I know it's an old thread, but that guy didn't know what he was talking about. IE has the worst standards compliancy of any browser, it features a ton of Microsoft only crap that makes sites look shit in other browsers, making IE seem better to noobs.

I hate Netscape too. They base 80%+ of their browser on Mozilla's code, bu take out functionality such as pop up blocking. :bah:

Netscape is a web designer's nightmare. I'm not sure how far developed they are now, and if web sites actually come close to even displaying correctly on Netscape browsers, but back about two years or so when I did most of my heavy web designing, I know that Netspace was completely and utterly useless when it came to displaying anything. A real thorn in the side, as that dude said.

IE I've found to generally work the best at displaying sites. It's not perfect, but hey, it's as close as you can get.

DarknessEternal, I don't know what you're ranting about in your first post, but it makes no sense. A web-browser features Microsoft-only extensions, code and that somehow makes sites magically appear to look crap in other browsers? Browsers aren't used to create webpages, they are used to view them. You may have been reffering to Microsoft Front Page which is a very simple web-desnigning program that is riddled everywhere with Microsoft-only support, and that WILL create sites that won't display properly in other browsers. Having said that, I've only ever used Dreamweaver, and I can tell you, Dreamweaver seemingly being standalone, that IE DOES IN FACT have the best standards support out there.

Also, isn't Opera just based on IE code anyway? That's what it seemed like to me when I used it. Just like IE with more useless features.