Brutal Death / Grind Mix, please comment

When it comes to gang vocals, like most things with recording, you get what you put in. Some people record gangs one person at a time and it ends up sounding too separated. Get at least 5 people together and really have them do the gangs as loud as they can and do it over 8 times and layer it all together.

To be honest, it just sounds like they didn't have their balls into the takes, haha. Garbage in, garbage out.

I loooove the snarling in the vocals, sounds soo sick! Also, I love the raw sounding drums man, good job with that!

we had 8 or 9 people in there for the gang shouts. tracked them three times, panned L-C-R.

the main problem is that the vocal room is just too small for this kinda stuff, so i get a lot of natural room ambience, especially when i start compressing them to get a consistent sound.

thanks for the comments btw.
drums are indeed very natural, only light snare sample replacement, kick is a 50:50 blend too. toms 100% natural. i tried my best to make the drums sound as good as possible without any samples, and just added them in slightly to fill out the gaps.

any comments on the guitar tone? i think it could loose some bass, maybe a higher highpass. they're tuned to drop A though, and the way it is theres a lot of the natural chug that's still coming through. more drastic filtering would make the whole thing sound clearer though.....but then again it's grind-ish.

Sweet Dude.
last group I did tracked group vocals and it was a sort of last minute thing so we ended up throwing up a mic and doing it. It ended up sounding nasty as hell with room modes and shit....but anyway

try high-passing them as high as 150 - 1000:)hz...helps clean up some of the room noise.
try rolling of some high end to make them sound behind the main vocal. Also you can try to eq some of that weird mid room modes out of the background vox.

but once its printed with weird sounding modes and shit its hard to get out. I ended up pulling A LOT of lows and mids out and compressing them, not panning them too wide and putting them behind the vox. Adds the impression of gang vocals and you can hear em just fine they just don't add a lot of body which is great.

great mix man.

I'm listening to it at a pretty low volume because it's really early here, but it sounds good to me. I think the guitars are clear. Really like the drum sound you got.

I am really digging the whole recording and song itself. I really dislike the group thing in general, really think it runins the song. Besides that this is a song/band I would be interested in checking out after hearing this.

Nice work dude!

Peter

I think you are really talented!

what equipment did you use?

not really a fan of the high....(REALLY HIGH)-pitch screaming in the background in the middle part of the song. Sounds kinda stupid..... but that's probably the bands decision wether they wanna keep or not, right?

The gangvocals are a bit outta place in the whole genre in my opinion, so I don't know if it's your mix or whatever...

I like how you mixed the pig-stuff!

not really any constructive critisism, I know... sorry 'bout that.. :wave:

really liking your mix, but I really dislike the song, it has a few good parts, but especially the
vocals kill it for me...and I was the singer in a death metal band :D so I am no guy who just
hates death metal vocals ;)