Brutal Death Metal Recommendations

Hey just checking back.

I already listen to Suffocation. I am guessing you just read the thread title and started posting links :p that's cool though.

Listened too...

Broken Hope - amazing. Not super brutal or anything. But the vocals are fantastic. That is old school death metal. I love it.

Pyrexia - heard of them before but didn't have any albums. They sound a bit like Suffo. Then I looked them up and that's original Suffo guitarist before Doug Cerrito. Great band and digging that album you linked me.

Wormed - very brutal, very good. The vocals really aren't my thing. I do like the music a lot though. Getting that album.

Nile - I have heard so much of this band but never checked them out. From that clip the very good. Very technical and brutal. The vocals are pretty good as well. I know their current drummer is a beast.

I still haven't gone through all the links. working a lot but I will make sure to check out everything you guys posted.

more if you can!

thanks again.

A lot of these recommendations are great bands but I honestly don't think they fit with what the original poster is looking for at all. I had the same problem as well in that I liked the sort of slam/hardcore style that he was looking for in those songs (that cryptopsy song specifically with its chorus, dying fetus, suffocation slamming etc) but could not stand the brutal/slam vocals that were the burping and whatnot. It got to the point where I was looking through bands to find them that had the same musical style but the vocal style similar to suffo/dying fetus with the death metal aspects but not the monotone burping.

Here's what I found, hopefully you dig some of these because it seems like this would be exactly what you're looking for:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bltrg7tuxI&feature=related[/ame]

these 2 bands have old members of dying fetus and have a similar sound in terms of vocals and heavy riffs yet deviate into their own style; definitely fucking great shit and i always blast this while i'm lifting to get pumped into a fury!

you should check out the videos posted here even if you don't like most of them. I as well hated the burping vocals but there are some bands that are so good that I could get past it (the Wormed song Tunnel of Ions is so unique and crazy that I just learned to deal with it).

Also the old swedish DM bands might be a good match for you if you haven't heard them: Grave, Dismember, Unleashed, Entombed etc

Last edited by a moderator:
I like brutal stuff that's also catchy so definitely

Suffocation-Effigy Of The Forgotten
Terrorizer-World Downfall (also grind influenced)
Mortician has some brutal elements and is a excellent band to check out.
I was impressed by Origin but they get too guitar wankey over all.

More recent I had an album by Common Grave (Germany) called Dehumenized and I really got into it... The production was very dry sounding but over 3-4 listens the album really grew on me.
Common Grave - Dehumenized is a 8.5 outa 10
The album after it was disappointing though.

Also if you are talking about my original post? Cannibal Corpse isn't brutal, but that was just an example of what I like. Barnes had good vocals back then.

This is the post I was referring to:

I might recommend a couple things. More old school death metal
Angelsorpse, Autopsy, Immolation, Krisiun, Grotesqueuphoria, Deceased, Nunslaughter, and so on.

Also, Cannibal Corpse's second and third albums border on brutal death metal, imo.