Brutal/Slam Death Metal

cookiecutter

Proceed to Ultraslamming
Feb 10, 2006
Toronto ON
slam-minded.blogspot.com
This is the thread for discussing all things Brutal/Slam Death, whether you love it like me, or hate it like most people here.

My favorite bands of the genre are Devourment, Dying Fetus, Vomit Remnants, Wormed, Human Rejection, Pathology, Disgorge, Septycal Gorge and many more. I love all the grooves, breakdowns, and blastbeats, and of course the guttural vocals.:kickass:

For anyone really into death metal this subgenre isn't anything 'new'.

byrne said:
if its something like psycroptic, i know what you mean, but loathe the idea of calling it "slam death metal" as that infers levels of the highest form of faggotry.

:lol:

I can firmly say I've never heard the term "slam death"

I've heard that term many a time, I always thought it was used to describe death metal bands with gutter vocals and plenty of breakdowns

Reactions: Sonic Titan
It is a widely used term, or so I thought. Shit like Dying Fetus is horrible but Vomit Remnants and Devourment are amazing.

What is "amazing" about them? I've heard very few bands in my time that I find "amazing."

I overuse the term amazing, honestly, but Vomit Remnants is just fun as hell to listen to, catchy, great riffs. Devourment is just a total class act, riffs that are headbangable and great, and all around just brutal.

Stuff I doubt you'd like though.

I've heard the term, but don't understand what it means. Would someone please define this term? What characteristics qualify a band as "slam" death metal?

Slam Death Metal:

MetalExperts said:
Slam death metal acquires its name from the part of a song in which the tempo slows down and often switches to an off-time meter. The "slam" is distinguished by slow chromatic riffs and frequent punctuation of pinch harmonics. While a slam might resemble a breakdown often found in hardcore and metalcore, it is set apart by its signature use of bizarre time signatures giving the slam a very jangly feel.

Slam death metal is also known for its dropped tunings, intensely technical drumming, and low vocals called gutturals that are created by sucking air in past the vocal chords. The guttural vocals sound somewhere between a rumble and a gurgle.

Slam Death Metal is influenced by internal bleeding,baphomet, and suffocation and hardcore. Slam Death Metal seems to be more a new york city or american trait. It's death metal but does not really share real traits or oldschool influences. Oldschool euro death metal and florida death metal seemed to die in the early 90's and this 'slam dance' seems to be a newer take off the early hardcore influenced death metal of new york city(also long island) in the now. The Texas death metal scene seems to really be infleunced by the new york scene also. By these early new york bands I do not mean Immolation who do not share similiar traits to the rest of the scene.

I live in lake placid new york(originally from connecticut) and this place is very different from say new york city and we have no metal scene. When you get around 2 hours from here closer to other places in upstate new york all local bands are punk/hardcore or hardcorish death metal. You have some wiggers that like hardcore and the 'streets' but like the speed of say death metal and breakdowns(slam dance) of hardcore music. Where I live is not a city rather a town, but say albany and troy are city's so these people have a street/city life that reflects in any forms of heavy music.

cookiecutter said:
This is the thread for discussing all things Slam Death, whether you love it like me, or hate it like most people here.

My favorite bands of the genre are Devourment, Dying Fetus, Vomit Remnants, Infected Malignity, Godless Truth, Smashed Face, Digested Flesh and Inhuman Dissiliency. I love all the grooves, breakdowns, and blastbeats, and of course the guttural vocals.:kickass:

There aren't a whole lot of bands in that style whom I consider good at it, but Godless Truth is great example. I love "Self Realization."

Soils of Fate's "Sandstorm" is another one I'm partial to. Three Swedes playing completely American-sounding slammy wigger death meta. It might be a little hard to get past the overly triggered, clicky drum sound (as with a lot of similar bands), but these guys do a good job of making it catchy and primitively enjoyable to me.

Slam death is fucking GENERIC as fuck, I can admit that (and I am probably the biggest proprietor of it here), but, on the other hand, it's intensely fun and all of the bands playing it are very passionate and serious about making groovy, breakdown-y death metal, so you can't knock 'em. None of them are really ever musically amazing, but FUCK being amazing, this is about primitive, catchy death metal with a focus on simplicity and...well, GROOVE.

Soils Of Fate and Vomit Remnants are among the best, aside from the obvious Devourment (even though I like VR more than Devourment, actually).

There is actually a really good new wave of brutal slam death stuff coming out right now all over the world. Here are some examples (click links to listen):

-Cephalotripsy (California, USA)
-Woundeep (Tokyo, JPN)
-Orchidectomy (Toronto, CAN)
-Guttural Secrete (Nevada, USA)
-Sarcolytic (Texas, USA)
-Ingurgitating Oblivion (Oldenburg, GER)
-Septycal Gorge (Turin, ITA)
-Disconformity (Tokyo, JPN)
-Goretrade (Risaralda, COL)
-Dripping (New Jersey, USA)
-Internal Suffering (Pereira, COL)
-Victimas (New Mexico, USA)
-Saprogenic* (Michigan, USA)

Enjoy!

*their new album is almost fully slam death while the first album uses a guitar tone similar to Amorphis' famous Privelege Of Evil tone, which is pretty fucking evil and I highly recommend that Saprogenic album.

"*their new album is almost fully slam death while the first album uses a guitar tone similar to Amorphis' famous Privelege Of Evil tone, which is pretty fucking evil and I highly recommend that Saprogenic album."

No

Uh please listen to anything off the first album; the tone is pure evil, and I've never heard that type of tone/tremolo riff style used in the context of brutal slam death as well.

So get learned.