Buddhism - force for good, mental conditioning, or both?

that's not to do with some sort of 'beneficiality of a spiritual path' though

a man may feel guilt for causing his wife to feel bad, or feeling he is wronging her, but that is entirely secular.

to add in the concept that in doing so he will either suffer in purgatory for a while, or if he does not accept that what he did was not only an upsetting thing but a 'sin to god' then he will spend -eternity- in hell for it, is hardly benevolent or beneficial. that kind of fear and added guilt (of disobeying god or whatever) is something Buddhism strives to remove. I think this is what Korona was getting at---Christianity is, to steal an old phrase, the disease for which it pretends to be the cure.

Is it? Why do you think he feels he is wronging her? In a secular world, there is no cause for morality. There's no need to hold to any kind of system of morality outside of the laws of society (and then only to escape punishment). Why not simply do what makes you feel good? Why feel bad for anything that you do in a secular world? Is guilt and a strive to cease "malevolent" action really something secular, that exists because we think it does? I somehow doubt that. I think morality is more than just an abstract construction of mankind. I think there's an inborn, hard-coded component to it. C.S. Lewis referred to it as "Natural Law" in his philosophical writings. But I guess until we know more about the human mind and emotions, this will have to remain a source of debate.

As I said before, I'm not a Catholic, I don't believe in purgatory, as there's no Scriptural basis for it, so that's a right moot point.

I also don't believe the man will neccesarily be sent to hell on the basis of one particular sin. I don't think you fully comprehend Scripture's message on the nature of Sin and its consequences (though it's not your fault, a lot of bad teaching going on out there). Sin is simply that which is contrary to the nature of God. We were created in His image (which is another thing I could talk about for a long time, I don't believe it entails what a Biblical literalist might claim), and by going against His warnings, we gained the ability to be able to tell "right" from "wrong" (what is in line with God's nature, vs. what is opposed to God's nature). From that point on, the weight of our actions rested upon our shoulders, and thus we became responsible for our actions (whereas in our previous state of innocence, there was no sin on our part as we could not actively do things knowing that they were against the nature of God). It would seem that when we do sin, we become metaphysically marred or tainted. Because of this, we cannot exist along-side God in the way that He exists. I equate it to getting mud on our boots and not being able to come inside and walk on the white carpet.

Yet by ourselves, no matter how much we rub and scratch, the dirt will remain on our boots. What Christianity posits, is that Christ's death (as his death came during a point in his life when he was without sin) was sufficient to counteract the sin of all mankind, past, present, and future. Whereas an animal sacrifice could only placate God's wrath, Christ's sacrifice, being without sin and pure, no matter how many sins you stacked against it, was always greater. It's like dropping a bunch of rocks into a bottomless well. You'll never fill the well up because it's bottomless, no matter how many rocks you have. Something that was perfect in nature, in essence: God, is infinitely greater (literally) than something finite and flawed, like a credit card with no limit, only God owns the credit company, so he arranges the payment.

Now back to the dirt analogy. No matter what a man does on his own, he can't get his shoes clean. He doesn't have a brush, a hose, or a bucket of water. What Christ's sacrifice does in this analogy, is Christ comes by with a shoebox. Inside that shoebox is a new pair of pristine shoes with a new teflon coating such that they can never get dirty. The muck of sin cannot stick to them. So that's why once you accept Christ's gift, it's not a matter of how many sins you've committed or how many sins you may yet still commit, you're covered. Now you may ask "well then why don't I just go out and have a blast and sin all over the place? I'm covered, right?" Yes, you are covered as far as your spiritual destination is concerned, but Scripture also tells us that "God disciplines those he loves." So while you are living in this mortal realm, the natural progression of sin is still in place. Wallow in the mire and you will get dirty, and with that dirt comes all the nasty things in it (i.e. the consequences of sinful actions).

But again, you keep returning to this fear and punishment analogy. That's not why a Christian abstains from sin. Scripture tells us that God's "mercies are new each day," that no matter how egregiously we error or falter, God will always welcome us back when we repent with a sincere and contrite heart. A Christian (in theory, keep in mind I'm referring to a true Christian, one who sincerely practices the teachings dictated by Christ and his Disciples) does good not because he fears that God will punish him, but because by doing good, he spreads Christ's love, he is being more like Christ, better adhering to the paradigm to which he has committed himself. Doing good is something a Christian WANTS to do for its own sake, not as a system of punishment/rewards. As we believe we recieve the Spirit within us, we believe that it changes us and moulds us more and more into Christ (as remember, we asked to recieve the Spirit, it's a matter of willful choice). Of course until we are with Christ and recieve our new shoes (the existence we are remade into in God's realm, what Christians refer to when their spirit is "born again," as prior to this spiritual transformation, we are referred to as "Children of Men," and afterward as "Children of God"), we'll never reach that level, but it's a burning passion within us to try our best to do so, all for His glory, rather than our own.

Now do you see what I mean? (sorry if that was too rambling/confusing). That's why it's very much a benevolent and beneficial thing, if one sees as Christ has taught.

Another thing I want to ask you, is by what standard do you judge what's potentially the God's ruling benevolent or malevolent? If it were the Truth, then would not you be the one in error? Regardless, how can you determine whether or not that is or is not benevolent? Without a separate, absolute, transcendent, axiomatic paradigm established by an omniscient consciousness, how do you determine morality?

Even a purely pragmatic or utilitarian system of morality would never be fully objective, as what's best for 99.999999% will always leave that small fraction for whom it doesnt' work out the best. So morality cannot be objective through Pragmatism. How do you objectively define morality, then? So far, only through a God or a similar concept can morality be, in any way, objective (as "God" or "supreme consciousness" would neccesarily have to be omniscient or all-encompassing in order to be aware of what constitutes morality).

I think any man with a shred of dignity will stop something if it hurts his wife (and isn't for her own good like stopping her taking crack or something)

Again, without an axiomatic paradigm, what is dignity? It's meaningless. Why aspire to it? Why yield to it? Why practice it? What is it anyway? I still don't see how you can claim it's something secular.

The difference between something bad and a Sin is that a bad thing is just that, whereas a Sin is something that supposedly hurts God, and that seperates a person from God.
I can't reconcile that picture and Jesus' parable of the prodigal son. The father never stops loving his son. He is happy because he is returned, not because he is repentant. Indeed the father rejects the son's apology.
Some theologians have said that the son returning home demonstrates repentance, but he goes home to get good food and a better life - he is still acting selfishly, so I don't think that interpretation holds and begs the question why the Father doesn't want to hear the son repent.

Is it "just a bad thing?" According to whom? By whose authority do you call it bad? What if I like to cheat on my wife, what if it makes me happy? Why should I be held down by your definition of good and bad when mine's just as valid? Do you see what I mean?

Sins aren't individual things that separate us from God, one sin is all it takes to separate us for good (one's clod of dirt is all it takes to muck up our shoes). Sin is like those ink tags you see on clothes at clothing stores. It only takes one of them after you shoplifted some pants to dye your skin blue, and that stuff's not coming off any time soon.

God doesn't want to sit there and judge us. He doesn't place us on a scale simply because its how he gets his jollies. He HAS to judge us, because if we are tainted, we simply cannot be with Him. God would rather that were all just his pals, and that we all had a good relationship with Him (If you would like, I can go more in detail as to why things are and have to be that way). That's what the prodigal son parable illustrates. What it's saying is that the father doesn't care that the son was gone or that he disgraced the family, he's just glad to have his beloved son back in his arms. And likewise, when you accept Christ, God doesn't care about your past wrongs, the things you've done. He's just glad to have you back with Him, knowing that one day you will share in his Glory, his eternal bliss. It's not about repentance, as if there were anything we could do under our own power to redeem ourselves, it's about Salvation through the actions of another, namely Christ. That's the crux of Scriptural Christianity. I realize a lot of traditions have emphasized confession and repentance, etc, but the most important part is Salvation, which covers all sins spiritually, for eternity. Repentence is what keeps us on track with how God wants us to live our lives while we live, and ensures we can adequately show Christ's love to others.

Regarding the worry about moral relativism without God, I would advance the arguement in the Platonic dialogue, the Euthyphro, and suggest that God doesn't help us out of the relativism.
Euthyphro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
read epart 3 of the arguement-
Basically, an action can't be seen as good because God said it is. Rather to escape relativism means basing morality on things such as our nature as humans, our society, etc. etc.
As for dignity - well dignity is fairly well defined, I use it to suggest a person who has self-respect, moral fibre, a backbone, courage tc. etc. ...

However at the end of your post you also suggest that there is another way to think of Sin - not as doing something good or bad, but as something that makes us closer to God or further from him. If you look to the prodigal son parable then you get the analogy of distance.

However I cannot see how an action MAKES us more or less spiritual, this is a confusion of cause and effect, as though eating less made us have a slower motabolism. (when really the lack of appitite is merely a symptom of the nature of the person)
No it is the virtuous man that does virtuous deeds, it is not the virtuous deeds that make us virtuous men. A wretched man may still do deeds we would call virtuous, but his heart could be full of seething resentment and spite.

My position, which you seem to warm to and shy away from at the same time is that a whole string of actions will not make us less spiritual, or more spiritual, no matter what they are. The idea that we are tainted a little bit each time we "sin" is nonsense. That I should feel guilt, or that I should feel disenfranchised from God because I have done something wrong is nonsense. God's love isn't capricious. To use your analogy, He lets us walk on the pearl white carpet and trapse mud all over the damn house! He writes off our sin because such things don't matter. This is the message of Christ - take it or leave it :p

Nietzsche says the most profound things on this matter - rather than paraphrase I will let him speak for himself.

In the whole psychology of the "Gospels" the concepts of guilt and punishment are lacking, and so is that of reward. "Sin," which means anything that puts a distance between God and man, is abolished--this is precisely the "glad tidings." Eternal bliss is not merely promised, nor is it bound up with conditions: it is conceived as the only reality--what remains consists merely of signs useful in speaking of it.

The results of such a point of view project themselves into a new way of life, the special evangelical way of life. It is not a "belief" that marks off the Christian; he is distinguished by a different mode of action; he acts differently. He offers no resistance, either by word or in his heart, to those who stand against him. He draws no distinction between strangers and countrymen, Jews and Gentiles ("neighbour," of course, means fellow-believer, Jew). He is angry with no one, and he despises no one. He neither appeals to the courts of justice nor heeds their mandates ("Swear not at all") .12 He never under any circumstances divorces his wife, even when he has proofs of her infidelity.--And under all of this is one principle; all of it arises from one instinct.--

The life of the Saviour was simply a carrying out of this way of life--and so was his death. . . He no longer needed any formula or ritual in his relations with God--not even prayer. He had rejected the whole of the Jewish doctrine of repentance and atonement; he knew that it was only by a way of life that one could feel one's self "divine," "blessed," "evangelical," a "child of God."Not by "repentance,"not by "prayer and forgiveness" is the way to God: only the Gospel way leads to God--it is itself "God!"--What the Gospels abolished was the Judaism in the concepts of "sin," "forgiveness of sin," "faith," "salvation through faith"--the wholeecclesiastical dogma of the Jews was denied by the "glad tidings."

The deep instinct which prompts the Christian how to live so that he will feel that he is "in heaven" and is "immortal," despite many reasons for feeling that he isnot "in heaven": this is the only psychological reality in "salvation."--A new way of life, not a new faith.
Nietzsche : The Antichrist
Also - for what his death on the cross signifys - read section 41...

Regarding the worry about moral relativism without God, I would advance the arguement in the Platonic dialogue, the Euthyphro, and suggest that God doesn't help us out of the relativism.
Basically, an action can't be seen as good because God said it is. Rather to escape relativism means basing morality on things such as our nature as humans, our society, etc. etc.
As for dignity - well dignity is fairly well defined, I use it to suggest a person who has self-respect, moral fibre, a backbone, courage tc. etc. ...

However at the end of your post you also suggest that there is another way to think of Sin - not as doing something good or bad, but as something that makes us closer to God or further from him. If you look to the prodigal son parable then you get the analogy of distance.

However I cannot see how an action MAKES us more or less spiritual, this is a confusion of cause and effect, as though eating less made us have a slower motabolism. (when really the lack of appitite is merely a symptom of the nature of the person)
No it is the virtuous man that does virtuous deeds, it is not the virtuous deeds that make us virtuous men. A wretched man may still do deeds we would call virtuous, but his heart could be full of seething resentment and spite.

My position, which you seem to warm to and shy away from at the same time is that a whole string of actions will not make us less spiritual, or more spiritual, no matter what they are. The idea that we are tainted a little bit each time we "sin" is nonsense. That I should feel guilt, or that I should feel disenfranchised from God because I have done something wrong is nonsense. God's love isn't capricious. To use your analogy, He lets us walk on the pearl white carpet and trapse mud all over the damn house! He writes off our sin because such things don't matter. This is the message of Christ - take it or leave it :p

Nietzsche says the most profound things on this matter - rather than paraphrase I will let him speak for himself.

Very nice and well-reasoned post Korona.

I'm aware of this argument, but the thing is, it's not applicable to Christian Theology, at least the way I percieve Christian Theology. In the scenario you present, "good" or "bad" are forces of nature/existence. They exist in and of themselves, and the gods use their power to decide whether or not something falls into one or two categories.

But what you see in Christianity is not this at all. God doesn't arbitrarily decide "hmm, you know, I really hate it when people kill their parents, I think I'll forbid that." Nor does he say "you know, giving gifts is awesome, I like presents, so doing things for people or giving them gifts is good." The system you present does not apply to my God, as in order for the system to work, the gods have to relinquish their omnipotence and be subjugated by the inescapable dichotomy of good and evil, forces that not even they can choose to transcend.

What you see in Christianity is not that good and bad are defined by what God approves of or disapproves of, but by God's very nature. His essence is all that is good. It's not a matter of conscious decision. God is who God is ("I am He who Is," often poorly translated as "I AM.") I've long thought that God is synonymous with logic. This isn't to say that Logic is a force (much like good and evil in the argument you presented) that God is forced to abide by, but rather that this force IS God, and our perceptions of it are simply a glimpse into His very nature. If you see here:

God and Logic

The use of Logic and the principles of Logical philosophy are found throughout Scripture. Furthermore, you have but to look to the universe, the presence of the Natural Numbers, the fact that Math exists and is evident all through the realm we know. Logic exists, that is undeniable (well, perhaps not undeniable, people believe all kinds of things, but legitimately it is not). Any attempt to disprove logic would result in hypocrisy, as Logic would be required to disprove it. So just as I see Logic as being part of the essence of God, so I also see Morality as being part of his essence, rather than a separate axiom that is subjectively assigned to various acts.

So in that scenario, if Yahweh exists, this is how I percieve the system to work. Thus, if this the case, there still exists the problem of objective morality on behalf of the secular world.

I dont think you quite got what I was saying (perhaps my fault). It's not a matter of "closer" or "farther" from God like some spiritual game of tug-of-war. Once sin has tainted your soul, you simply cannot exist within God's realm. That's why Christ's sacrifice was neccesary. Once you're dirty, you're dirty. That's why getting more or less dirty is irrelevant to your Salvation. So I think we're on the same page, just weren't communicating it to one another.

Oh, I agree. That's why the passage of Scripture says "our good works are as filth to the Lord." It's not about the act itself, but the intent of the heart. Scripture tells us that God judges us on the intent of the heart.

My position, which you seem to warm to and shy away from at the same time is that a whole string of actions will not make us less spiritual, or more spiritual, no matter what they are. The idea that we are tainted a little bit each time we "sin" is nonsense. That I should feel guilt, or that I should feel disenfranchised from God because I have done something wrong is nonsense. God's love isn't capricious. To use your analogy, He lets us walk on the pearl white carpet and trapse mud all over the damn house! He writes off our sin because such things don't matter. This is the message of Christ - take it or leave it

Now that I've corrected the misunderstandings, I think we're in agreement there. God's Love is not capricious. I'm not saying we're tainted a little bit each time we sin. I'm saying once we're tainted, we're tainted, and only Christ's sacrifice is gonna change that.

He offers no resistance, either by word or in his heart, to those who stand against him. He draws no distinction between strangers and countrymen, Jews and Gentiles ("neighbour," of course, means fellow-believer, Jew). He is angry with no one, and he despises no one. He neither appeals to the courts of justice nor heeds their mandates ("Swear not at all") .12 He never under any circumstances divorces his wife, even when he has proofs of her infidelity.--And under all of this is one principle; all of it arises from one instinct.--

That's not quite the case. Nietzche didn't apparently understand the role of the Jews in that time. A lot of people take the "if someone forces you to go one mile, go also the second" and "turn the other cheek" etc verses the wrong way. Christ never advocated complete and total passivity. In fact, he told his disciples to sell their cloaks and buy a sword if they did not already have one.

He's right in that they are to show Christ's love to all, stranger, acquaintance, friend, or foe.

He's incorrect about appealing to the courts nor heeding their mandates. Swearing he's correct about, but there are work-arounds for that judicial practice.

And as for divorce, he's also inaccurate in his portrayal. You can divorce on most grounds, you simply can't remarry without sinning. It does mention that God hates divorce. The exceptions to the remarriage = sin edict are death of a spouse, and infidelity.

The life of the Saviour was simply a carrying out of this way of life--and so was his death. . . He no longer needed any formula or ritual in his relations with God--not even prayer. He had rejected the whole of the Jewish doctrine of repentance and atonement; he knew that it was only by a way of life that one could feel one's self "divine," "blessed," "evangelical," a "child of God."Not by "repentance,"not by "prayer and forgiveness" is the way to God: only the Gospel way leads to God--it is itself "God!"--What the Gospels abolished was the Judaism in the concepts of "sin," "forgiveness of sin," "faith," "salvation through faith"--the wholeecclesiastical dogma of the Jews was denied by the "glad tidings."

First sentence was correct, second was as well, the third is where he begins to go a bit off. Prayer is not neccesary for salvation (aside from the sincere request to recieve Christ into one's heart, the method of Salvation), but prayer is a vital part of a Christian life both here and hereafter. It's how we "keep in touch" with God. Without staying in Prayer and staying in the Word, our flawed human nature will eventually influence us to sin (and it may anyway, but Prayer and studying the Word are the best weapons we have to overcome our sinful nature).

And he did not reject Jewish Doctrine, he fulfilled it. "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them." The previous method of attonement was but a charade of what was to come, when God would place himself on his own altar on our behalf to make one final sacrifice, once and for all. Christ's life, death, and ressurection represents the final culmination of all the teachings of those who came before Him, including the teachings of attonement. The reason the method of attonement had to be repeated over and over before is because the sacrifices were never sufficient to remove sin, only to placate God's wrath, to divert his judgement away from those who truly deserved it, by sending an animal as their proxy. Christ's sacrifice was sufficient, so sacrifice was no longer neccesary. He didn't abolish the neccesity of sacrifice, he made the best and complete sacrifice of himself. Salvation is through faith, as it is by faith that one asks and recieves salvation. His "glad tidings" is a dishonest oversimplification of the doctrine of Salvation.

The deep instinct which prompts the Christian how to live so that he will feel that he is "in heaven" and is "immortal," despite many reasons for feeling that he isnot "in heaven": this is the only psychological reality in "salvation."--A new way of life, not a new faith.

I'm neither in heaven nor immortal, sorry Freddy. I'll hopefully get there eventually, though.

Once again, a misunderstanding of Theology on Freddy's part (I'm starting to see a trend here). What Paul said there was not in reference to Christ's ressurected form being what we have to look forward to, but what Christ's ressurection meant symbollically and metaphysically. Our future is not held in a mere raising of our lifeless bodies to exist in a physical realm once more. The reason Paul says this is to say that if Christ did not raise from the grave, then he would not have conquered death, and thereby made the way for our spirits to transcend Sheol (hebrew meaning "the grave"). If he did not raise from the dead, then there could be no true salvation. If he did not raise from the dead, he would just be a man who died, and no Christ. His rise from the dead shows that he was indeed the Christ, and that he rose because God had favor upon him, thereby affirming what was said by God when Christ was baptized by John the Baptist. "This is my Son, with whom I am well pleased."

Did Arthyron just try to refute Nietzsche? :lol: :lol: :lol:

ooh is that what he was doing. I thought he was just misunderstanding Nietzsche for his own sake.
laugh.gif

ooh is that what he was doing. I thought he was just misunderstanding Nietzsche for his own sake.
laugh.gif

I'm well aware of how highly Nietzche is regarded here, but the fact of the matter is he made a few statements that do not accurately describe Christian theology. Perhaps the theology he was used to hearing (if I remember correctly his father was a Lutheran pastor) or grew up with encompassed such things, but there are some problems with his understanding of the Theology that I believe in. His criticisms may be valid of some Christians' individual theological beliefs, but as for my own, there are some discrepancies.

While a brilliant man, Nietzche is not an infallible god. If I error in my criticisms of Mr. Nietzche, then by all means attempt to correct me and the truth will eventually find its way to the top, rather than the hollow Ad Hominem cheerleading that currently passes as your arguments. I was not aware that snide remarks and baseless claims counted as "mature discussion."

Nietzsche's portrayal of Christ IS idiosyncratic, there is no doubting that, and I think mostly Arthyron is just pointing out examples of this idiosyncracy. Nietzche says this "psycology of the saviour" shines out of the Gospels IN SPITE of the Gospels (he certainly doesn't hold them to be infialliable works where every line must be taken as being equally valid)

Why I would suggest we should buy into his idiosyncratic portrayal is because of its honesty, self-consistency and the cutting insights it brings into the wider picture of sin and how it is to be overcome. The opposed picture put forward by the "Christian" church is incomprehensible.

Regardless I would be interested in hearing Arthyron's take on the passages regarding Jesus and the parallels with Bhuddism (20-45). Personally I think they are some of the most moving passages in all of Nietzsche's work and well worth reading.
link - Nietzsche : The Antichrist

Nietzsche's portrayal of Christ IS idiosyncratic, there is no doubting that, and I think mostly Arthyron is just pointing out examples of this idiosyncracy. Nietzche says this "psycology of the saviour" shines out of the Gospels IN SPITE of the Gospels (he certainly doesn't hold them to be infialliable works where every line must be taken as being equally valid)

Why I would suggest we should buy into his idiosyncratic portrayal is because of its honesty, self-consistency and the cutting insights it brings into the wider picture of sin and how it is to be overcome. The opposed picture put forward by the "Christian" church is incomprehensible.

Regardless I would be interested in hearing Arthyron's take on the passages regarding Jesus and the parallels with Bhuddism (20-45). Personally I think they are some of the most moving passages in all of Nietzsche's work and well worth reading.
link - Nietzsche : The Antichrist

Precisely why I, as a Christ Follower, rely on Christ and His teaching rather than the dogma of men who have placed themselves in authority. ;)

I'd be happy to give my opinion regarding Christ's teachings and Buddhism as examined by Nietzche, allow me a bit to read and decipher and I'll get to it.

I'll cover 20 first.

In my condemnation of Christianity I surely hope I do no injustice to a related religion with an even larger number of believers: I allude to Buddhism. Both are to be reckoned among the nihilistic religions--they are both decadence religions--but they are separated from each other in a very remarkable way. For the fact that he is able to compare them at all the critic of Christianity is indebted to the scholars of India.--1. Buddhism is a hundred times as realistic as Christianity--it is part of its living heritage that it is able to face problems objectively and coolly; it is the product of long centuries of philosophical speculation. 2.The concept, "god," was already disposed of before it appeared.

1. I wonder where his basis for comparison comes from, when he says "realistic" as it applies to spirituality, which is not based on physical reality.

2. Nietzche didn't follow his progressions all the way. While true that a "god" or "diety" plays no active role in Buddhism, that does not mean that the concept does not exist, or that it is unneccesary. Rather, on the contrary. As in all religions, within Buddhism, there is a system of metaphysical mechanics. There's the system by which one achieves enlightenment, for example. It's a gradual process that culminates in reaching a certain metaphysical plateau. One can only assume that logic, being the all-pervasive, "omnipotent" concept it is, also applies spiritually (if Logic does NOT apply, then there's no use discussing it, as it all becomes meaningless subjective nonsense where up is down, red is blue, and custard falls from the sky). Where exactly do these processes come from? By what power or authority was this system by which any human spirit can achieve this enlightened state brought into existence? Even Buddhism, which lacks a diety figure, neccesitates one or something like a god in its processes. Logic would dictate that something had to bring all these levels and planes of spiritual achievement and existence into being. So despite its reluctance to name any specific force/universal consciousness/entity/power, even in Buddhism, there is neccesarily a source for all things, and thus I disagree with Nietzche's claim that they've "disposed" of a god of some sort, because the evidence is right there to the contrary.

1. Buddhism is the only genuinely positive religion to be encountered in history, and this applies even to its epistemology (which is a strict phenomenalism) --It does not speak of a "struggle with sin," but, yielding to reality, of the "struggle with suffering." Sharply differentiating itself from Christianity, it puts the self-deception that lies in moral concepts be hind it; it is, in my phrase,beyond good and evil.--The two physiological facts upon which it grounds itself and upon which it bestows its chief attention are: first, an excessive sensitiveness to sensation, which manifests itself as a refined susceptibility to pain, and secondly, an extraordinary spirituality, a too protracted concern with concepts and logical procedures, under the influence of which the instinct of personality has yielded to a notion of the "impersonal." (--Both of these states will be familiar to a few of my readers, the objectivists, by experience, as they are to me). These physiological states produced a depression, and Buddha tried to combat it by hygienic measures. Against it he prescribed a life in the open, a life of travel; moderation in eating and a careful selection of foods; caution in the use of intoxicants; the same caution in arousing any of the passions that foster a bilious habit and heat the blood; finally, no worry, either on one's own account or on account of others. He encourages ideas that make for either quiet contentment or good cheer--he finds means to combat ideas of other sorts. He understands good, the state of goodness, as something which promotes health.

1. I'm afraid I'll have to disagree here. He states that a struggle with sin is not positive (in claiming that Christianity is not a genuinely positive religion), and then turns around to acknowledge the "struggle with suffering" and later in the paragraph the "depression" that results from the practice of Buddhism that Buddha combatted with hygienic measures. That's a rather self-defeating statement from where I'm standing. The only two conclusions I can make are thus: Either both Christianity and Buddhism are genuinely positive, or neither are. Christianity contains the same edict that suffering shall take place along with trials and tribulations, and that the Believer should rejoice when he encounters trials and tribulations. Interesting the things that he prescribes for overcoming the struggle with suffering are all things that Christ preached as simply the right way to live (moderation, abstaining from lusts and other impure impulses, avoiding intoxication, and the admonition against worrying), not simply as a means to an end. I'd also be curious as to how both Buddha and Nietzche come to this concept of "state of goodness." Where, how, and under what authority does Nietzche determine what is "good?" Nietzche seems to paint a rather Machiavellian perspective of the Buddha, as if all the things he does are simply means to an end, and have no intrinsic merit, but I guess that's the whole point of Nihilism (things not having any intrinsic worth). Guess that's where Freddy and I have to agree to disagree, that's too subjective for my tastes, especially for all his talk of objectivity.

Prayer is not included, 1. and neither is asceticism. There is no categorical imperative nor any disciplines, even within the walls of a monastery (--it is always possible to leave--). These things would have been simply means of increasing the excessive sensitiveness above mentioned. 2. For the same reason he does not advocate any conflict with unbelievers; his teaching is antagonistic to nothing so much as to revenge, aversion, ressentiment (--"enmity never brings an end to enmity": the moving refrain of all Buddhism. . .) And in all this he was right, for it is precisely these passions which, in view of his main regiminal purpose, are unhealthful. The mental fatigue that he observes, already plainly displayed in too much "objectivity" (that is, in the individual's loss of interest in himself, in loss of balance and of "egoism"), he combats by strong efforts to lead even the spiritual interests back to the ego. In Buddha's teaching egoism is a duty. The "one thing needful," the question "how can you be delivered from suffering," regulates and determines the whole spiritual diet. (--Perhaps one will here recall that Athenian who also declared war upon pure "scientificality," to wit, Socrates, who also elevated egoism to the estate of a morality) .

1. Asceticism is a decidedly Catholic trait, of which I do not practice. I don't ever recall Christ declaring we are not to deny all pleasure, but merely we're not to be seekers of pleasure rather than seekers of God, that when we seek God first, all those things will fall into place, whereas when we try to seek life, it will elude us.

2. Also a tenet of Christianity. "As long as it depends on you, be at peace with all men." and also the other passages about turning the other cheek, going the second mile, etc. Then, there's "vengeance is mine" says the Lord, so revenge is not for our sake. "Do not let the sun go down on your wrath." etc etc. Christianity has comparable teachings related to different contexts (as they developed in very different cultures, so the message is thus tailored to those cultures).

That about sums it up for 20. I'll get to 45 in a bit. :) Is that what you were looking for, or would you like me to elaborate more on anything specific?

Time for 45. :)

1.--I offer a few examples of the sort of thing these petty people have got into their heads--what they have put into the mouth of the Master: the unalloyed creed of "beautiful souls."--

2."And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear you, when ye depart thence, shake off the dust under your feet for a testimony against them. Verily I say unto you, it shall be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city" (Mark vi, 11)--How evangelical!

3."And whosoever shall offend one of these little ones that believe in me, it is better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he were cast into the sea" (Mark ix, 42) .--How evangelical! --

4."And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire; Where the worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched." (Mark ix, 47)15--It is not exactly the eye that is meant.

5."Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power." (Mark ix, 1.)--Well lied, lion!16 . . . .

6."Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For . . ." (Note of a psychologist. Christian morality is refuted by its fors: its reasons are against it,--this makes it Christian.) Mark viii, 34.--

7."Judge not, that ye be not judged. With what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again." (Matthew vii, l.)17--What a notion of justice, of a "just" judge! . . .

8."For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same? And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?" (Matthew V, 46.)18--Principle of "Christian love": it insists upon being well paid in the end. . . .

9."But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." (Matthew vi, 15.)--Very compromising for the said "father."

10."But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." (Matthew vi, 33.)--All these things: namely, food, clothing, all the necessities of life. An error, to put it mildly. . . . A bit before this God appears as a tailor, at least in certain cases.

11."Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward is great in heaven: for in the like manner did their fathers unto the prophets." (Luke vi, 23.)--Impudent rabble! It compares itself to the prophets. . .

12."Know yea not that yea are the temple of God, and that the spirit of God dwelt in you? If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple yea are." (Paul, 1 Corinthians iii, 16.)19--For that sort of thing one cannot have enough contempt. . . .

13."Do yea not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are yea unworthy to judge the smallest matters?" (Paul, 1 Corinthians vi, 2.)--Unfortunately, not merely the speech of a lunatic. . .

14.This frightful impostor then proceeds: "Know yea not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?". . .

"15.Hat not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. . . . Not many wise men after the flesh, not men mighty, not many noble are called: But God hat chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hat chosen the weak things of the world confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hat God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: That no flesh should glory in his presence." (Paul, 1 Corinthians i, 20ff.)20 --In order to understand this passage, a first rate example of the psychology underlying every Chandala-morality, one should read the first part of my "Genealogy of Morals": there, for the first time, the antagonism between a noble morality and a morality born of ressentiment and impotent vengefulness is exhibited. Paul was the greatest of all apostles of revenge. . . .

To preface this, something to note, this whole segment is a rather disingenuous portrayal of Scripture. It's easy to insinuate and suggest anything you want really, when you display and criticize isolated verses of scripture without context. That's how men tried to justify slavery. This isn't a flaw of Scripture though, any text could be used in this manner. It's simply a dishonest intellectual practice. So do keep in mind he's only referencing individual scriptures, without placing them in context, so feel free to look up the verses as they relate to the chapters they come from as I will probably do, to ensure them an honest and legitimate hearing.

1. Here's the part where Nietzche admits to committing intellectual suicide. Without grounds, he insinuates that Christians either A. falsified the words of Christ, or B. speak from an authority they do not have (as Nietzche doesn't believe in any god). The intellectual suicide comes in the deliberate misrepresentation of Scripture by presenting isolated scriptures, then ridiculing them with sarcasm. This is not philosophy, this is an embittered small dog barking at a gentle large dog.

2. Try your best, and if they reject you, then move on, and the fate of their souls will be on their own hands. What's so terribly egregious about that? People won't listen if they don't want to, no matter if what you say is true or not. If they've closed their hearts, there's nothing more you can do for them. I fail to see his qualm.

3. So apparently Nietzche's an advocate of child abuse? Because all that verse is saying is not to cause a child to stumble, not to impede their development and growth or do them harm or lead them astray. Christ, as an aspect of God, is speaking about his sons and daughters which he loves, and realizes how vulnerable and helpless humans are as children, and makes a very grave warning against doing harm to them. Nietzche is (knowingly or unknowingly) defending pedophiles, abusers, and all those who would do a child harm in his mockery of that passage. Well done, Freddy. Remember, Christ specifically speaks not only as a teacher of morals, but as a God who is the essence of justice and will judge all those who do evil.

4. Finally he gets one right. Not sure what point he was trying to make here.

5. Sorry, Nietzche, if you look at Christ's wording during this, he's foretelling of his death, his ressurection, and the events that take place just prior. Christ came into his kingdom after he died (remember he told the thief who asked him to remember him when he came into his kingdom "I tell you that this day you will be with me in paradise"). After he rose (another fulfillment of this prophecy) before he ascended, he referred to going to "prepare a place" for his Disciples. Where do you think he meant, Wal-Mart? His kingdom of heaven of course. And finally, his kingdom could also be referring to when the Holy Spirit came to reside within men on Pentecost, when the Disciples spoke in tongues with tongues of fire above their heads. So there's three instances of how Christ's kingdom need not refer to his second coming. And many of them DID live to see those three events...so once again, sorry Freddy.

6. I fail to see how the phrasing in which its morals are related makes them any more or less valid. If you wanted to phrase it without stating what must be done, and later referring to it using "fors," it could easily be done. What on earth is he trying to say here?

7. Yeah, and? It's pretty simple, if you judge others, you will also be judged, so don't do it. If you judge others, then the same stick will apply to you, and most judgemental people are hypocrites to begin with. This speaks nothing about the legitimacy of God's "skill" or "method" in judgement. *shakes head*

8. Honestly...how did he interpret it that way? The purpose of this passage is to show that we are to love all people, not simply our friends or those we're acquainted with, because even tax collectors (who were known to be illicit often-times, as they'd request more money than was neccesary to line their pockets) would treat their friends and family well. As Christians we're required to go beyond what comes naturally and have love and compassion for all who need it, not just for our friends and family. It has nothing to do with a payoff, and everything to do with compassion.

9. Not at all. We, being men with sin, who have been shown the ultimate mercy of salvation, are in no place to withold forgiveness to anyone. God, being without sin, being pure and just, and our creator, has every right to judge us accordingly, as we deserve. It's only by his grace that he does not, to our benefit. But those who do not forgive others basically implicitly consider themselves too good for forgiveness, which not even God withheld from us despite the fact that we didn't deserve it, so there's absolutely no reason we should not do the same. If we don't, then why should God forgive us, if we are not willing to have grace for others as he did for us. I wish he'd think deeper and be objective about this rather than simply looking for holes and flaws, that's not an honest way to go about interpreting text, leads to a flawed perspective.

10. I don't see what he's trying to prove. There's only one instance of God being a tailor, and that's in Genesis when Adam and Eve have eaten from the tree and realize the dichotomy of good and evil, and are thus aware they are naked and are shamed, and he takes animals and turns their skins into clothes. This verse has nothing to do with that, it lists our needs as things the Lord will provide for, as he always has, and all we must do is seek God first, rather than things of this earth, which are fleeting. God knows what we need and has the power to give them to us.

11. Simple, oftentimes the prophets were the harbingers of God's impending wrath upon the wicked. They were beacons of righteousness, and men cursed and persecuted them for this. All the verse is saying is to rejoice and stay strong in the path of righteousness, even though you will face persecution, because the prophets too faced persecution for this, even men as great as they, so do not fret over it, for the Lord is on your side. It has nothing to do with Christians thinking they're as great as the prophets.

12. When we recieve Christ, and the Spirit resides within us, we are symbolic of God's temple, as God's spirit once resided in the far back room of the temple/tabernacle (called "The Holy of Holies"). If we basically take our temple (in which God's Spirit resides), and do all kinds of horrible things to it, we're effectively defiling God's temple. I can see why Nietzche lashes out against this, as he was so big on individual merit, but in Christianity, we are not our own, we were bought with a price, the blood of the Lamb (Christ). We are God's, and when we have his Spirit within us, we shouldn't spit in its face by doing harm to ourselves. It's not that difficult.

13. Theologically it makes perfect sense. Through Christ's sacrifice, when we transcend this realm through death and our spirits are made clean, reborn, we become without sin (as we'd need to be to exist in God's presence). Christ Himself said "let he who is without sin cast the first stone." Conversely that says "he who is without sin may cast the first stone." Thus, those who are without sin are allowed to judge those with sin, which is why God is worthy of judging us. This is because those who are without sin are in essence like God, made of the same absolute moral good essence (as it's God's nature which defines what is good). So at that point in time, we will be without sin, and thereby justified in being in the seat of judgement.

14. There were angels who turned against God (as many angels also have free will). Sin is sin is sin, no matter if it's perpetrated by angel or man, celestial or mortal. Those who are without sin will judge those who are with sin.

15. Haven't read his book, but it basically sounds like a shameless plug and an attempt at brainwashing. "In order to understand this passage [rather than reading it and judging it on your own merits], you have to first understand this other system of morality [which isn't Christianity], then read my book [you insolent worms, I'm like sooooo smart], so you can adequately understand it [because I need to spoonfeed everything to your ignorant minds]." Sounds pretty lame and pretentious to me.

Basically, it sounds like Nietzche really just doesn't understand Scripture very well. It makes sense, though, if you read Scripture carefully, that he wouldn't. Consider these verses:

1 Corinthians 1:18-25 " 18For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19For it is written:
"I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate
."[c]

20Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. 22Jews demand miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom, 23but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, 24but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength."

This is the segment that precludes the verse Nietzche posted in "#15" of the segment of section 45, which gives context to it. God does this all such that no one may boast in themselves, because no one has any reason nor legitimacy in boasting in and of themselves, as their greatest achievements are less than God's farts (if God farted, of course), basically.

And consider also 1 Corinthians 3:18-23 " 18Do not deceive yourselves. If any one of you thinks he is wise by the standards of this age, he should become a "fool" so that he may become wise. 19For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God's sight. As it is written: "He catches the wise in their craftiness"[a]; 20and again, "The Lord knows that the thoughts of the wise are futile." 21So then, no more boasting about men! All things are yours, 22whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas[c] or the world or life or death or the present or the future—all are yours, 23and you are of Christ, and Christ is of God."

I didnt mean for you to feel obliged to give detailed analysis - just an overall impression of passages 20 through to 45...

45 is the conclusion of the whole segment - if you don't read it though you won't really get the point of why it's there. It gives a form of justification for why he thinks people get the wrong idea about Jesus' message, and as evidence of the Gospels being subverted.

Given as how you went into so much depth on the first and last passages I'll give you a detailed response -

with 20, I think you are being fairly hard-handed with Bhuddism. Their response to you would be along the lines of - we don't need God for our epistomology, any conception of God we can form would be grounded in Maya, and thus illusiory. All we can hope to do is achieve enlightenment and break the cycle of Karma.
The reason why Bhuddism is better in Nietzsche's view than Christianity is because it doesn't attempt to justify suffering. Christianity offers the gloss of Sin, whereas Bhuddism doesn't care for reasons and instead seeks practical solutions.

As for the Bhuddah being Machiavellian (what is wrong with being Machiavellian?) well I think you are right, he does everything to overcome suffering and achieve enlightenment. Given the world is illusiory, why should we be overly concerned with it?

for 45 I will suggest reasons why we might think that they display messages that are against the teachings of Jesus (as Nietzsche sees them i.e. as quasi-Bhuddist)

(your numbers)

2.someone that wont hear you is damned to destruction by hellfire? nice! as you put it the idea that they have "closed their souls" is neither forgiving nor understanding.

3.bear in mind that it is only christian children that the punishment holds true for. However I don't follow your reasoning that being against the drowning of anyone who "offends" a child means you endorse child abuse - it's the harsh and disproportionate reaction to punish rather than forgive that Nietzsche is scorning.

4. lol

5."the kingdom of God com[ming] with power." is fairly unambiguous in my view. the notion .that the Kingdom of God is a physical kingdom to come, is contrasting against a spiritual state which is how Nietzsche envisions it, which you achieve by living as Christ lived.

6."Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. 8:35 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it."
Nietzsche is suggesting that duping people into doing something they don't want to do through a combination of fear (of loosing their life) and promising them a life in some other world, is downright against the spirit of the Gospels, which is a way of "living in the kingdom of God".

7. It's not exactly compatible with the conception of God as possessing infinite forgiveness

8. Nietzsche is scornful of the line "what reward have ye?" - why must we be rewarded for our love?

9. The problem with this passage is the compromising of the message that God unconditionally loves and forgives us (like the father in the prodigal son)

10.Exactly - the notion of God as some geezer who gives us material possessions is ridiculous.

11.lol

12. I think Nietzsche's contempt also has something to do with the portrayal of God to one who dwells in the dark recesses of our bodies. He is also against other sorts of reduction of God to "the thing in itself etc." He thinks this weakens the notion of what God is.

13. There is a logical fallacy in suggesting that a guilty person cannot recognise another guilty person. It doesn't stop it being hypocrtical for them to then seek punishment. However Nietzsche is hostile to the notion that we are all guilty (quite the opposite). There is a danger which we succumb to if we accept Paul, which is to see the whole world as irrevocably tainted and thus to be rejected.

14. More ranting agaisnt the brokenness, taintedness, blemishness of the world.

15. The notion of some kind of Prankster God that goes around confounding the strong, wise, powerful to "bring them down a notch" is repulsive. What kind of sadistic picture of God does this paint? The reference to the Genealogy of Morals is thinking of his conception that those who are oppressed by the strong seek revenge. They cant get it themselves so they invent Gods to punish their opressors instead. This is what he is accusing Paul of turning Christianity into (perhaps only sub-consiously). Some tool for his revenge against, I guess, the Romans.

Overall these passages typify this mentality of revenge, which Nietzsche suggests is born out of ressentement. If we adopt this idea of a God who punishes then we are drawn away from the message of Gospels as he envisons it which is of eternal bliss on earth. A calm acceptance and joy in all aspects of life. The kingdom of God as a mental state achieved by living the example given by Christ.

I didnt mean for you to feel obliged to give detailed analysis - just an overall impression of passages 20 through to 45...

45 is the conclusion of the whole segment - if you don't read it though you won't really get the point of why it's there. It gives a form of justification for why he thinks people get the wrong idea about Jesus' message, and as evidence of the Gospels being subverted.

Given as how you went into so much depth on the first and last passages I'll give you a detailed response -

Ah, I see. I'll have to go back and read that part all the way through sometime, then.

Thanks for being considerate and responding with such length. It's rather disappointing when I post big long things and the people I'm discussing or debating with either never respond or say something lame in attempt to back out of the debate while saving face or to attack me before leaving so they can "get the last word." Glad to see there are some people out there who are intellectually honest and interested in searching for the truth.

with 20, I think you are being fairly hard-handed with Bhuddism. Their response to you would be along the lines of - we don't need God for our epistomology, any conception of God we can form would be grounded in Maya, and thus illusiory. All we can hope to do is achieve enlightenment and break the cycle of Karma.
The reason why Bhuddism is better in Nietzsche's view than Christianity is because it doesn't attempt to justify suffering. Christianity offers the gloss of Sin, whereas Bhuddism doesn't care for reasons and instead seeks practical solutions.

Perhaps I am being a bit heavy handed, but I'm very concerned with reason and rationality, perhaps much moreso than pragmatism. Buddhism takes a very pragmatic approach to spirituality, but they leave a lot of unanswered questions and ignore things that don't pertain to their physical and spiritual practice of their belief system, kinda ignoring things or sweeping them under the rug because they don't see them as important. I like to explore all areas of the epistemology, not just what's useful to me, and I simply find Buddhism lacking in that area, not enough exploration of these "unimportant" areas of their spiritual epistemology.

Even if the concept of diety does not concern them, it does not change whether or not such a being exists (or existed at one point). Even though you don't acknowledge the giant elephant in the corner, it doesn't mean his big ass isn't there taking up space, if you get what I'm saying. If anything, I think Buddhism is the one doing the glossing. I like Christianity in that respect as it confronts all avenues, rather than just bare-bones pragmatism. If that were the case, the New Testament would consist of:

"God loves you so much that he died for you, so that you could be with Him some day. If you want to be with Him when you pass on, then ask Him and he will give you the gift of Salvation. If you don't, you're not gonna be happy with what you get instead, because apart from God, there can be no happiness. In the mean time do unto others as you would have them do unto you, and love thy neighbor as thyself."

But instead of what I see as kind of a stripped down, pragmatic approach in Buddhism, Christianity tends to explore concepts more thoroughly, even if they don't figure into the ultimate mechanism of Salvation, they still explore them and muse and ponder, there's more to it than a single-minded task. Perhaps that's why I'm drawn to it, because it allows me to entertain possibilities, to ponder, to contemplate, to reason, to explore.

Now I'll address your replies to my individual numbers:

2. It's not meant to be taken on a personal level. It's not "your" word or teaching that they're rejecting, nor are you to shake the dust off because they didn't listen to you as a person. You do your best to help them, if they don't want your help, then they're not your responsibility anymore, they've chosen to take their fate in their own hands and there's nothing you can do. As far as "damned to destruction by hellfire," we could go into great length about the nature of hell (which has been horribly corrupted by pop culture, especially from Dante's books), and what exactly Scripture has to say about what "hell" is. I don't hold the pop-culture view, because that's not what Scripture says, but as I said, if you want to discuss that further we can.

3. Not true, Christ didn't say "causes a child who follows me to stumble." He said causes "a child," ANY child, as children are less sovereign when it comes to their own mental and emotional faculties, very impressionable. For instance, being abused as a child can have some seriously life-altering consequences on one's future. If you consider the rest of Scripture, God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, and just, or at least claims to be. If he is omniscient, he then knows the intent of the heart of the one that causes the child to stumble. Do remember that God judges us on the intent of our heart, not simply the mechanics of the actions we partake of. God will know what's going on in the mind and heart of the person who is harming a child, and says that they will recieve some harsh backlash for doing something to a creature so impressionable and defenseless. If God is just as he claims to be (since we're presupposing that God is real, for the purposes of testing the validity of the claims made by His religion), then how would He who gives definition to morality and justice be doing an injustice to one who does evil? Either Yahweh's a big liar, or not real, if he is not capable of punishing a child abuser as the metaphysically deserve to be punished. Remember, forgiveness is not neccesary on God's part, it's something we don't deserve that he grants us simply because he's gracious. Forgiveness is a precept that we human followers have to abide by because God first forgave us, and to not forgive would be equal to saying we're too good to be forgiven ourselves in which case God retracts his grace until we in turn become gracious.

5. Do you not recall the teachings about the Spirit entering those who accept Christ, and our bodies thereby becoming metaphysical temples of God? Do you not recall what transpired on the day of Pentecost, shortly after Christ was raised from the dead and ascened into his heavenly kingdom? The kingdom of God descended on that day with the power of the Holy Spirit (as manifested as tongues of flame above their heads, empowering them to speak in tongues). Can you not see the parallels there? The kingdom of God comes with power? The power of God is the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit came upon the earth that day, soon after Christ ascended to return to heaven (his kingdom), and the Spirit then resided in those who accept Christ. I'm fairly certain that the coming kingdom refers not to a collection of buildings and parcels of land, but on spiritual real estate, in the form of souls. When we accept the Spirit and it inhabits us, we become part of God's kingdom. I'd venture as far as to say that in that passage, the kingdom of God IS the souls of those he saves.

6. It's not a matter of fear, it's a matter of logistics. If you spend your life chasing after the things of this life (which are fleeting and short-lived), one day you will die and those things will all suddenly be without meaning. What Christ is saying is that it's far more wise to seek that which does not rust, corrode, decompose, the things of the Spirit, of the realm beyond physical existence, rather than the things of this world, which are temporary and fleeting. All the achievements, riches, wealth, and accomplishments on this earth mean nothing when you are no longer on this earth. So why live with such frivalous, temporary things in mind, when they play only a small role in the total sum of your existence? Christ is saying if you live with the greater things in mind, if you live for what is to come, you will find true life, not this paltry mockery called physical existence.

7. I don't think you're getting the role forgiveness plays on the part of God. Forgiveness is not something we inherently deserve, it's something given because God is gracious, it's a privelege of being a being that God loves, not a birthright. If we seek forgiveness we shall have it, but when we judge others, we are elevating ourselves above forgiveness because by judging despite our lack of omniscience or omnijudisciousness or omnibenevolence, we are implicitly claiming to be on level with God (as only he who is without sin may judge), metaphysically rejecting the notion that we need God's grace. It has nothing to do with God's subjectivity, and everything to do with man's illegitimate pride and arrogance.

8. I do not think it is referring to a reward, as if God was giving us gold stars every time we loved. I believe Christ is referring to the metaphysical benefit or improvement we recieve in the growth and augmentation to our person, which in turn benefits those we love even more. What Christ is saying is it requires no effort to love those who are kind to you or love you back, but there is no benefit to us, no way to improve ourselves or grow in Christ when we do what comes easily even to our flawed human nature, that in order to truly love, our love must be unconditional and uncompromising, not the capricious love that anyone can and does give without a second thought.

9. Once again, we have to ask to recieve Salvation and forgiveness. If we do not want God, he doesn't force himself upon us (as evidenced by 1 Timothy 2:3-4). By not forgiving others, we make the implicit statement that we are above forgiveness, and therefore do not require it ourselves, because the only one who is beyond forgiveness is he who has done no wrong, and clearly, as evidenced by Romans 3:23, we have ALL done wrong. It's not a matter of God giving or withholding subjectively, it all depends on whether we choose to recieve by giving, or reject by denying.

10. Not as some geezer who gives us gifts (like Santa Claus), but as a father who provides for his children. All it's saying is when you've returned home to God, while in his house, there's no need to worry about the menial things neccesary to extend our existence in the physical plane. It's God's way of saying "just work on making yourself a better person and becoming more like Christ, don't worry about all that trivial material stuff which you're not going to need for long anyway, I've got it covered." I fail to see how such a concept is ridiculous.

12. The dwelling of the spirit within us need not be a physical process. After all, where in our bodies do our minds dwell? If I wanted to meet you in person, where would I go to meet you? Where in your brain is your "self" contained? Science so far has no answer for this question. No one knows where exactly what truly makes us US exists, there's no current known biological basis for the self or human level consciousness. Sure, it's an abstract concept, but really think about the implications of that. This is what leads many philosophers (not just Christian ones) to the belief in a spirit or soul or other non-physical component to our total existence.

13. It's not saying that a human is incapable of pointing out the flaws/infractions/crimes of another. It only says that he has no metaphysical authority with which to condemn one who is guilty of sin, as he is also guilty of sin.

14. It's the consequence of the exercise of Free Will apart from the will of one who is absolutely good and just. With free will comes the potential for that which is contrary to God (evil). There's a reason that free will is neccesary, but we can talk more about that later.

15. It's not about God "PUNKing" people to get his kicks. Read the entire passage: "so that no man may boast." He doesn't go around punking anyone who is successful in their vocation like a trickster god (such as Loki, or Ea), he only does so in the event of and so that they have no room to boast, and thereby sin in pride and belittle their fellow man, whom they are not better than in the grand scheme of things, despite their human delusions of superiority.

Overall these passages typify this mentality of revenge, which Nietzsche suggests is born out of ressentement. If we adopt this idea of a God who punishes then we are drawn away from the message of Gospels as he envisons it which is of eternal bliss on earth. A calm acceptance and joy in all aspects of life. The kingdom of God as a mental state achieved by living the example given by Christ.

Then Nietzche missed the entire point. It has nothing to do with eternal bliss on earth. In fact there's several warnings that taking up this path will make your life on earth much more difficult and earn you the contempt of those who follow the path of the world.

A very good interview on Buddhism in the modern world from Salon: http://www.salon.com/books/int/2006/11/27/wallace/index.html

Aughhh he starts off so well!
I totally agree with the whole interview untill he posits a "substratum of consciousness".

He is totally right to reject the physicalism of neuroscience for the reasons he has given. It is a rejection of the second half of a dualism we can trace back to Descartes, but they still buy into the dualism by accepting the "bare physical", even if they reject the "pure thought".

What the Bhuddist guy is suggesting we should do is simply re-inflate the dualism by saying mental states have a dependance on this "substratum".
His whole position is shot through with Cartesian dualism.

The correct move in my opinion is to take the Wittgenstinian line and reject the dualism totally. Mental states are not reducable "physical states", but they are not dependant on some etherial presence either. There is no reason to think that they stand in need of extra justification whatsoever. We only ever feel the need for this kind of answer when we start philosophising. When we start believing that there is something queer about thought or "mental processes" or something.
What I do like the sound of however is his approach to psycology. The language of meditation could well give us powerful lingustic tools to speak about things that modern neuro-science is frequently tongue-tied over.

-----------------------------------------------------

@ Arthyron - I think you miss the point with Bhuddism's response to the "problem of God".
It's not that they refuse to tackle the issue, their response is that God is illusiory and becomes another thing we need to trancend, forming part of the "Maya". Any notion of Reality we can form while still in the grip of illusion is likewise illusiory. The precidence is on enlightenment.

I will respond to a couple of your points that stand out and by highlighting them you should at least get a better idea of Nietzsche's position, but I will wait for you to mull over 20-45 because they are cool and might change your view on what Nietzsche is up to.

3. "And whosoever shall offend one of these little ones that believe in me," is it directed at christian children - but regadless, as I say, the objection is about the punishment, rather than the wrongness of child abuse. I'm sure Nietzsche would agree that child abuse is fairly inexcusable, but its the reduction of the gospels to a treatise on crime and punishment that he has a problem with. It is unevangelical to punish. It runs contrary to the whole shebang to condemn.

6. I think that the first point is still valid - it does put fear (of loosing ones life) at the forefront of accepting the rationalle of the passage. However I agree it also puts attention into the "here-after". Nietzsche is just as committed to the view that this is anti-evangelical as well. Living well shouldn't be in spite of the world.
It needs to be through a way of accepting and embracing it (the evangelical message, he suggests, does just this).

8. The passage explicitly says "what reward have ye". If you want to ignore that then sure, it certainly has no place there. However that is Nietzsche's point too, and it is the mentatlity of reward-seeking that he is attacking.

Overall what Nietzsche is almost desperate for us to understand is the innocence, purity and freedom we can attain when we reject the notion of Sin. It is this state of child-like innocence that he sees embodied in Jesus, and of whch he writes so movingly in those passages of the Antichrist.

As for the rest, I will wait untill you have read those passages because they only say a lof of what I would be essentially repeating.

I'm well aware of how highly Nietzche is regarded here,

Whether it was said by Nietzsche or someone on this forum, you seemed to misunderstand what was written, for whatever reason. There's no appeal to authority of anything about favoring Nietzsche involved in what I said.

It's not that they refuse to tackle the issue, their response is that God is illusiory and becomes another thing we need to trancend, forming part of the "Maya". Any notion of Reality we can form while still in the grip of illusion is likewise illusiory. The precidence is on enlightenment.

But regardless, it's still something they'll have to tackle eventually. If they believe in objective truth then they have to believe in the source of Logic (to claim that Logic has no source would be illogical, as logic follows a system of causality, it's a universal force that is axiomatic). So much of it talked about how Buddhism was Objective and Logical. If that's truly the case, then Logic is something that transfixes the illusory world into the spiritual, enlightened world, like a ladder to the heavens. Whether here or hereafter, the Problem of God is something they will have to reconcile. The Appeal to Enlightenment only pushes the Problem back, it does not erase it. I suppose it gets them off the hot-seat for now, but if we've already established that there are things to ponder when one reaches enlightenment, then how can one be sure enlightenment is a place one truly wishes to reach? If there's already one unknown waiting there, who's to say there aren't others, perhaps cosmically horrifying ones?

3. "And whosoever shall offend one of these little ones that believe in me," is it directed at christian children - but regadless, as I say, the objection is about the punishment, rather than the wrongness of child abuse. I'm sure Nietzsche would agree that child abuse is fairly inexcusable, but its the reduction of the gospels to a treatise on crime and punishment that he has a problem with. It is unevangelical to punish. It runs contrary to the whole shebang to condemn.

Not at all, Christianity is, by definition, evangelical. Justice and judgement are central themes. They are mechanisms rightfully acted upon by God (being perfect and therefore fit to judge), but they are none the less present throughout.

Nietzche's essentially constructed a silver strawman. He condemns this passage on the grounds that it's "unevangelical," however a careful examination of Scripture will show you that the theme of absolute, axiomatic justice is ubiquitous. It's a fallacy. It's like saying "Cow's are not very bovine." The term "evangelical" is defined by Scripture. To say that something in Scripture is not very evangelical is to say that something in Scripture is not very Scriptural. It's circular falsity, it's an endless paradox of fallacy.

Sure, it may not "fit" with what he thinks is the central theme(s) of Christianity, but that's irrelavent to whether or not it is evangelical. It's evangelical by definition (if you doubt me, look up the definition for the term evangelical), and there are many more places than that particular passage where the theme of justice is present, whether Nietzche likes it or not.

6. I think that the first point is still valid - it does put fear (of loosing ones life) at the forefront of accepting the rationalle of the passage. However I agree it also puts attention into the "here-after". Nietzsche is just as committed to the view that this is anti-evangelical as well. Living well shouldn't be in spite of the world.
It needs to be through a way of accepting and embracing it (the evangelical message, he suggests, does just this).

Do keep in mind I'm speaking from the viewpoint of one who has experienced and lived this doctrine for several years now, and am well aware of the effects it has on my life, personally. Perhaps what I experience and percieve is not like what other people might, that is possible, but I'm merely relating what it says to what I've experienced. And I have not experienced fear from this passage. In fact Romans 8:15 tells us "For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father." The concept that this verse is fear inspiring I think comes from the outward view of something that must be experienced to be truly understood (and this is not a cop-out argument, as there are many instances in life where cold, academic knowledge or understanding do not paint such a picture as experience).

The whole purpose of the verse, from the view of one who both believes in and practices it, is thus: "It's pointless to chase after the things of this world which will one day have no value. The gold will lose its luster, the diamonds their sparkle. All will fade and wither. What is left is what is truly important. Seek what is left first and foremost. If you seek after the things of this world, they will one day be lost, and you'll be left with nothing, as all the things you sought and amassed are gone. Why seek what you know will one day be nonexistent?"

8. The passage explicitly says "what reward have ye". If you want to ignore that then sure, it certainly has no place there. However that is Nietzsche's point too, and it is the mentatlity of reward-seeking that he is attacking.

I think that's taking things the wrong way. Look at "what reward have ye" in the context of the rest of the verse and the rest of that chapter as a whole. What's the entirety of that verse implying? It's saying to go above and beyond "mechanical" love (the less genuine, reactionary friendliness or admiration). If you gave a mob-boss a bunch of jewels, he may return the favor with some service or gift of his own, but the mob-boss doesn't really care about you. Just being nice because you recieved nicety does not resemble the kind of love that Christ calls us to. I believe "reward" in the context which it is being used in refers to "rewarding love" (love that is genuine, real, given of one's own volition, not dependent on non-emotional factors). Notice the rest of the verse and chapter speaks not of heavenly, earthly, or spiritual rewards for such actions, but rather a call to duty, that it's something we should be doing for the sake of doing it, rather than doing it expecting something in return. In fact it's the selfless kind of love (not expecting it to be returned) that most of the verse is demanding! You have to take things in context, not parse bits and pieces to nothingness.

Overall what Nietzsche is almost desperate for us to understand is the innocence, purity and freedom we can attain when we reject the notion of Sin. It is this state of child-like innocence that he sees embodied in Jesus, and of whch he writes so movingly in those passages of the Antichrist

Precisely why I reject Nietzche's claims. "Just close your eyes and the big bad monster will go away." I see it as nothing more than a bitter, secular mind trying to comfort itself, trying to convince itself that it'll be ok if it just does things its own way. Rejecting the concept of sin in Christianity is akin to rejecting a foundation for a building. Without sin, Christ died needlessly, for a false cause. He's just skewing Scripture so that he doesn't have to accept Christ and therefore the implications of Christ's teachings. It's bordering dangerously close to relativism.

As for the rest, I will wait untill you have read those passages because they only say a lof of what I would be essentially repeating.

I'll get to that when I can, hopefully sometime soon.

Whether it was said by Nietzsche or someone on this forum, you seemed to misunderstand what was written, for whatever reason. There's no appeal to authority of anything about favoring Nietzsche involved in what I said.

And once again, you've failed to address where I have errored, but only claimed that I errored. That doesn't help me get any better, nor does it prove anything. I can say that you misunderstood what I wrote and that's why you thought I misunderstood Nietzche, but if I don't say HOW or WHERE, then it's meaningless to say so. In the same way it's meaningless for you to speak thusly.

Modern Buddhism is a crock of shit for this reason: it's solipsism.

Agreed, but I find certain aspects of various Buddhist paths to be of value. Particularly Zen Buddhism. There is a lot of value in the ancient philosophical texts of Buddhism. Modern Buddhism is a crock of shit, modern being the key word; just as modern Hinduism is a crock of shit, but not Vedic Hinduism. They're watered down versions that I'd say have been pervasively corrupted by both the spread of Judeo-Christianity and the modern mindset.

Agreed, but I find certain aspects of various Buddhist paths to be of value. Particularly Zen Buddhism. There is a lot of value in the ancient philosophical texts of Buddhism. Modern Buddhism is a crock of shit, modern being the key word; just as modern Hinduism is a crock of shit, but not Vedic Hinduism. They're watered down versions that I'd say have been pervasively corrupted by both the spread of Judeo-Christianity and the modern mindset.

Oh for crying out loud...:ill:

Why is something a 'crock of shit' just because most do not pursue it to it's greatest potential? And what is wrong / corrupted regarding 'modern' Buddhism? What is wrong with wanting to improve the world because it makes you feel happier? Seems like a fairly positive way to focus ones mind to me?

claimed that I errored. That doesn't help me get any better, nor does it prove anything.

yea, I'm not trying to prove anything and can't be bothered helping you, I was merely addressing your attempt to dismiss the earlier comment as merely a defense of Nietzsche or some such thing.