Budget signal splitting

Benny H

Degenerate
Nov 6, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
I want to experiment with recording 1 guitar through 2 different physical amp simulators at the same time. The only means I have to do this at the moment, is to put a simple splitting jack -< on the output of my 7 band graphic eq pedal(which is pre-everything), effectively giving it 2 outputs to then feed the amp sims.
As I'm sure you're all aware, these pedals have adjustable level, so I figured in my little layman brain that I can compensate with that.

But suspect there's more to it than that...because obviously these pricey D.I./splitters are made for a reason. And I'd expect recommendations to use these. But why? For those that know about the real workings of signal processing, why is my idea not ideal?... as I assume it isn't. Is it just basically degradation?

I really don't have much choice but to do it this way, but I'm interested to know exactly what's going on, and why I should probably look into dedicated devices if I want to do this sort of thing.

On a related note, are normal guitar leads still perfectly appropriate once the signal starts to get manipulated by different things in the chain?

hey ,

i tried this splitting stuff also
i used a morley splitter
on one side i recorded a randall cabinet with a mic
the other a ran through digitech "d.d. the weapon"
got a phat sounding tone these two combined
and got around the phasing too

just experimenting too
i like this stuff
two modelers could also be possible i think
just try it ...