Bugera 6260 speaker swap

serbusfish

Madman with a Box
May 12, 2011
UK
www.youtube.com
Im attempting to mic my Bugera 6260 to record youtube cover songs, but the problem is im getting very bad tone which sounds nothing like what I hear when im playing normally. I think the speakers are the problem. Ive recorded a sample so you can hear what I mean:

As you can see even with external EQing it doesnt sound as good as it should. So I was considering doing a speaker swap, my initial choice would be a pair of Celestion Vintage 30's, but are there other speakers out there that would suit the amp better? I mainly play stuff like In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Amon Amarth, Killswitch Engage, BFMV, and a bit of old school thrash.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think it sounds all that bad. Maybe try to find a better mic position? Also you must be aware that the amp's controls are supposed to be set relative to what you're hearing thru the mic, not what you hear when you play unmiced. Hope that helped.

Play with the mic positioning a bit more before you buy anything, I had the same problems before I spent a little time on micing and the temptation to blame the gear was strong.

Also consider than you're going to spend something like 200 euros on speakers while your mic costs like 30 euros. Although from shootouts I think the MB75 IS quite similar to the SM57, and the speakers would help if you play live too, but still.

Did this a few months ago... the 6260 is basically a 5150 II and the speakers are v30 clones so these settings and mic position should work out decently.

Dont forget the type of Microphone you use is an extremely CRUCIAL part of the tone. The "In-Flames" type tone works best with a 57 or 421 type microphone.

Amp settings:

Pre Gain - 4
Low - 7
Mid 3
High - 7
Reso - 5
Pres - 7

Tube screamer in front if you have it
Gain 9:00
Level and Tone at Noon

Last edited by a moderator: