Bugera 6260 vs. Peavey 5150 (Video)

Sep 8, 2005
Don´t know if you guys have watched this video (Im sure some of you have)

Definitely, i like more the Peavey, they indeed have a big difference in sound, i know the sound quality isn´t the best but is a good demonstration video, and definitely help me on my decision (i was still thinking on the bugera over the peavey for the price).

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
They don't sound remotely similar, at least with those settings. It would be good to hear them with their "best" settings. Sounds like the Bugera is through a 75W celestion and the 5150 is through a V30.

5150 FTW.

They don't sound remotely similar, at least with those settings. It would be good to hear them with their "best" settings. Sounds like the Bugera is through a 75W celestion and the 5150 is through a V30.

5150 FTW.

Agreed. Also the Bugera sounds a tad processed sounding.

I actually preferred the sound of the Bugera quite a bit. It sounded like it had way more balls to me. The problem with the test though, is I'm assuming the camera's mic is used for the audio, and the camera is like directly in front of the bugera rig, and the 5150 is sort of aimed off to the side. That kind of defeats the purpose of using identical cabs and settings.

The problem with the test though, is I'm assuming the camera's mic is used for the audio, and the camera is like directly in front of the bugera rig, and the 5150 is sort of aimed off to the side. That kind of defeats the purpose of using identical cabs and settings.

Seriously, how could no one else mention this!?? I mean, we're all experienced cab-mic'ers here, and the 5150 is so obviously ALL freakin' off-axis cloudiness, whereas the Bugera is clearly more direct.

Yeah but you still can listen the peavey sounds more smooth and clear, the bugera sound louder but harsh, the bugera has everything on it´s side but the peavey still sound better, the bugeras isn´t bad but i like the peavey distortion more

Yeah but you still can listen the peavey sounds more smooth and clear, the bugera sound louder but harsh, the bugera has everything on it´s side but the peavey still sound better, the bugeras isn´t bad but i like the peavey distortion more

Off axis microphone placement will usually always have a smoother less harsh tone. IMO the peavey had the advantage in this clip.

I've been thinking about robbing a bank and trying to find a used 5150 or 6505 on ebay for recording purposes, but I dunno, the more I hear Bugera samples the more I'm thinking of spending the loot on one of them. I'm a fan of the more midrangy bark/growl sound.

The Bugeras do have more of an aggressive edge in the mids, but it's really the highs you have to watch. They have some ungodly, unmusical thing going on up there which can be a hoe to get rid off. If you get one, recap it, retube it, tubescream it up and use a good, smooth cab to take away as many of those undesirables as possible..

I tried out that Bugera at my local music shop last week with a Gibson Explorer and it really can't compete with the 5150/6505 at all.. It sounds very compressed and processed and doesn't have half the balls as the Peavey. I guess it's kewl for a low budget amp..? Just my 2 cents.

The Bugeras do have more of an aggressive edge in the mids, but it's really the highs you have to watch. They have some ungodly, unmusical thing going on up there which can be a hoe to get rid off. If you get one, recap it, retube it, tubescream it up and use a good, smooth cab to take away as many of those undesirables as possible..

yea..i'd rather pay the other $100 extra or so for a used 5150

like the guy above me said - these are probably awesome amps if you're like 16 and getting your 1st 1/2 stack for x-mas or something...i mean shit, it HAS to sound better than a cheap SS crate...but other than that, fuck these amps