building a 1x12, what speaker to use??

Krigloch the Furious

Pants full of poo
Dec 10, 2003
Springfield, IL
I've got a Vader 2x12 and it sounds pretty badass.
but a friend and I are going to build our own 1x12 cabs. Celestions v30 are expensive as butt.
Anyone know what exact speaker Vader uses?

the Eminence are well under $100 while the Vintage 30's are $145
So it's just a matter of what Eminence to get... Anyone know if that Legend V128 would be good for metal/punk and whatnot? It's $60 on Amazon

How are the governors?

word on the street, the governors are pretty good. more sensitive than v30's so they will be louder too.

dude from Rosetta said:
Along with amp and instrument mods, I've experimented a lot with different speakers over the years. I had more or less settled on a combo of Celestion V30s with G12T75s, until I recently tried some Eminence Red Coat speakers and was very impressed. I'm now using their Governor model in place of the V30s. V30s are 60W speakers and should have been fine with my amp, but I push them hard and they kept blowing up periodically. The Governors are louder (102 dB sensitivity instead of 100dB) and handle 75W. They have better bass and a less harsh upper mid --- basically everything I wished I could change about the V30. I still have V30s in my 1960A, but both of the cabs I use in Rosetta now have 2 Governors and 2 G12Ts. Given how impressed I am with Eminence and how the 97dB G12Ts get drowned out by the Governors, I may swap in some Wizards for the G12Ts. With the Eminences, I've turned the Deep switch off on the amp and get a clearer bass response.

- http://www.anchorstates.net/search/label/Tech?max-results=100