Building home studio in apartment, possible???

Dawn Patrol

Feb 3, 2005
Sweden
I'm thinking of converting one of my rooms in my apartment to a controlroom/vocalbooth (so I can record the vocals in the controlroom instead of having to seperate rooms).

Is it possible to reduce the sound so much that my neighbours won't hear me screaming and mixing?

Any ideas how to approach this?

From what I know, you have to build a room inside a room, and the room where you record must "float". Ie. it should be separated from the real walls from all over (except the floor of course ;) ) There should be quite a bit of insulation too, and that also brings in the air conditioning factor. For real studios, they hire professional architects to design those.

hey bro, i noticed you wanted to make a vocal booth in your apartment. it will work! i have recorded vocals in closets many times before! i would recomend using a closet if u have a big enough one, and padding it with foam.also, if you have clothes in there, they will absorb additional sound lol! the only thing i would say is, dont take it too seriously, its not going to be the most comfortable or best sounding solution but you will get by for now! GOOD LUCK!

BTW, listen to www.myspace.com/lastwill if you want to hear a song i mixed in my apartment. the recording was done in a live studio setting, mixed in acid pro in my apartment, and the vocals were done in my closet. i have a better understanding of producing now, but this is something that i can be proud of. btw, i'm the guitarist on the left. lol laters:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

-dave