Building my own bass

Hell Mike

fuck melodic black metal
Aug 22, 2003
Norrland
www.nasheim.se
I'm going to build my own electric bass and I need a little help.
By 'a little help' I mean 'fucking lots of help'. I don't even know where to begin! I'm thinking of building a five-stringed, fretless one or maybe merely a five-stringed OR a fretless one or perhaps even a regular four-stringed bass with frets and all. Give me all the damn tips you can (Concerning EVERYTHING, from what kind of wood I need to the electronics) and maybe some website too if you know one. Thanks (I hope).

I have several reasons but the one pushing me forward is mainly that I've got a school assignment. Also, if I build a (probably terrible) bass of my own I'll know what ahs to be improved for my possible next time. Please offer aid instead of rather stupid comments.

You will need: a hammer.

I think.

Sorry, couldn't resist it...

Try asking some of the people who actually make basses, like Conklin, Carl Thompson etc., maybe they will help.

Well, since it's going to be your first bass and you don't have that much demands, you might want to buy a build-one-yourself kit and focus on the electronics. I don't know about stores near you, but in Germany Musik Produktiv has all sorts of electronics on some sort of clickable system on a bass, so you can easily test different pickups.

But like I said, since it's your first one, I wouldn't focus too much on expensive stuff, just buy some cheaper things that sound ok and try to make that one sound right.

edit: typo