Building my own bass

Hell Mike

fuck melodic black metal
Aug 22, 2003
Norrland
www.nasheim.se
I'm going to build my own electric bass and I need a little help.
By 'a little help' I mean 'fucking lots of help'. I don't even know where to begin! I'm thinking of building a five-stringed, fretless one or maybe merely a five-stringed OR a fretless one or perhaps even a regular four-stringed bass with frets and all. Give me all the damn tips you can (Concerning EVERYTHING, from what kind of wood I need to the electronics) and maybe some website too if you know one. Thanks (I hope).'
I also posted this in the DiGiorgio-forum because I think the DiGiorgioists should fucking know.

Hmmm...are you experienced with woodworking? In that case it may be worth a shot, but stuff like necks are still very difficult to do well. You need not only the right type of woods - they must also be pre-dried under controlled conditions (so they don't crack later). Then there's the stuff like the truss rod, fretboard radius, etc.

Have a look at http://www.warmoth.com/. You can check out what woods they use for their parts and they also have a very good guide to tone woods.

'bane

it would be a much better idea to have a company build a custom bass for you because you will get a the bass you want and you know it is done by professionals but saying that custom basses etc can be very expensive.

Thanks for that, bane... I thought that maybe the neck is best bought complete and attached later so I get a playable bass, and I don't want it to snap after a week. I'll check prices and so on on that site.

Emperor, I can't afford a custom build one and I've got a school assignment that says I have to do SOMETHING, and I thought, why not do something I want to do instead of some boring crap? OK, it's probably too difficult for me but I won't know 'til I've tried.

I would difinitley advise buying the neck, because it's so exactingcompared with the body size/shape. Think of a shape you like, get the wood (mahogany, alder, basswood, sycamore are all decent) and cut the body. Then decide what pickups you want, buy them, slap them on, buy a neck, stck that on and you'r most of the way there. I would also advise to stay clear of active pickups/systems - they're quite a lot of hastle.