building a guitar

Ravenous Enemy

hell alive
Mar 24, 2003
City of Steel
Hey. For my d+t project (next year) I am building a guitar.
Has anyone made a guitar themselves and if so do you have any advice?
It'll probable be like a fucked up flying v shape, thru neck constrution, 1 x humbucker in bridge and a single coil or hotrail in the neck. Do thru-neck guitars need a truss rod just like other guitars?
Also, guitar parts seem really expensive and I'm suposed to be making a high qualtity guiatar - does anyone know any places in the UK to get cheaper parts or wood?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Yes, all necks need truss rods. It gives le-way for neck adjustment.

Cost: you can pick up aftermarket parts on ebay or whatever really cheaply sometimes.

For wood: www.stewmac.com has body sized chunks of alder for i think £15 and allparts.co.uk for the bridge etc. Use stewmac for the pots/wire etc.

P.M Bobvex. He'll set you straight on anything.

Cheers Needled. I'll post a pic when it's finished if you want.
ever heard of axesrus.com or luthierssupplies.co.uk ? just wondering if they were reputable etc.

I've never tried them. I just Stewmac the control pots and stuff i need (I have a BC Rich warlock under repair next to me)

Ravenous Enemy said:
Hey. For my d+t project (next year) I am building a guitar.
Has anyone made a guitar themselves and if so do you have any advice?
It'll probable be like a fucked up flying v shape, thru neck constrution, 1 x humbucker in bridge and a single coil or hotrail in the neck. Do thru-neck guitars need a truss rod just like other guitars?
Also, guitar parts seem really expensive and I'm suposed to be making a high qualtity guiatar - does anyone know any places in the UK to get cheaper parts or wood?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

I don't know any particular places for parts or wood, but I would go with mahogany. It is pretty soft wood. Stay away from maple. You almost have to have metal-working stuff to cut it. It is very hard wood.

bryant

I dont know that much about building guitars, since I've never done it, though I started planning it once and decided I didnt really have the cash / resources.

My recomendation: If this is your first time, find someone who knows what theyre doing. No offense to you when I say that, but building a guitar is fucking hard.

Thanks. I'm thinking of Mahogany neck / centre, then two basswood 'wings' either side for lightness and to cut cost a little.
I know it's hard, but you're not going to put me off!

since this is your first guitar, i think it would be best for you to buy a pre fretted fingerboard.

you can buy them at stewmac.com

why i say this is because making the fingerboard is one of the hardest things.

thanks again. I lready decided to buy a pre-slotted fingerboard, but not a pre-fretted, so I can chose my exact type of fret wire. Do you need any special tools to insert the frets? I know you need special clippers to cut them though right?
Hopefully next year I'll be working ina guitar shop and access to some of the stuff I need.