i have a great idea for a project (guitar building itt)

einride

your best friend
Feb 29, 2008
at work i have access to a laser cutting machine that can cut through wood etc. very precisely. now i'm hopeless with woodworking BUT since i have this hi-tech tool at my disposal i was thinking of buying some sheets of 12 mm plywood (yes, plywood. plywood guitars can apparently sound "ok" according to some places on the internet) and building a god damn guitar. of course i would buy the neck separately. being able to cut and glue sheets together would completely eliminate the need for routing and sawing etc. i would probably buy some thin sheets of nicer wood to glue to the front and back sides and then stain it all in some nice colour. it would be an explorer shape body with maybe a couple of twists, and with a single coil in the neck/humbucker bridge because i don't have any single coil guitars at the moment. i would also probably make a pickguard out of black acrylic. what do you think, is this a cool thing to do?

anyone here ever build their own guitar?

Sounds like an ace idea, and who cares if the first one sounds so-so. If it feels worth the time and effort, you'll make more and better ones later on. I wanna see the body shape you're thinking of.

I wanna see the body shape you're thinking of.

this is as far as i've gotten

aow1s2.gif

maybe with the pickguard it'll look a little like this

206mo.jpg

looks like you're working on a blouse line for amputees

so you've listened to metal since 1980-whatever and have never seen a gibson explorer before. intriguing.

fender, gibson, ibanez et al had best watch their step. there's a new kid on the block and he ain't fucking around.

5xqutg.jpg

suggestions for model name accepted. preferably something that suggests intrepidity ("explorer") or destruction ("destroyer"). ta.

man this is going to be such a weird frankenstein design

now i'm considering putting p-90 pickups in it, at least neck position, and using a fender style hardtail bridge instead of a tune-o-matic because tune-o-matics require angled necks and i'm not going to get into that sort of bullshit for my first guitar

so it's going to be like an explorer with single coils and a fender bridge :eek: why not though

considering dimarzio super distortion for the bridge, going to sound like fukkxking dave murray

OK I was looking at some destroyers and icemans and stuff and found this:

closebody8gz.jpg

Just about the sexayest inanimate object I've ever seen, make something like that (a wee curve to the uppar wing part maybe?) and call it a Destroyerman or Icetroyer and make it a less ugly colour

OK I was looking at some destroyers and icemans and stuff and found this:

closebody8gz.jpg

Just about the sexayest inanimate object I've ever seen, make something like that (a wee curve to the uppar wing part maybe?) and call it a Destroyerman or Icetroyer and make it a less ugly colour

i dunno the iceman wing looks kind of disproportional

coat hanger guitar

it's pretty badass but it's not entirely aesthetically pleasing

like the washburn a-20 -- i have been trying to decide for over a year whether this guitar is ugly or cool and i think i've finally decided it's cool, but still a little homely, you know

it's kind of like the one eyed scruffy puppy you just gotta take home and hug