"Building" a Guitar Tone

silverwulf

Ghost in the Machine
Mar 6, 2002
Manassas, VA
Visit site
I was wondering what everyone's approach to "building" a guitar sound for playing and recording is...that is, when you're looking for "Guitar Sound X," where do you start when dialing in your tone?

For instance, some guys start with everything on "5" and then add or remove frequencies as they feel it needs it. Others just turn the knobs to a traditional "scooped" metal tone and then start tweaking from there to get enough bite and cut in the tone.

So where does everyone here start and what is your approach to building a guitar sound you're looking for? Also, do you use an external EQ (graphic or parametric) a lot when shaping your sound? If so, how does that factor into the sound building?

I try to get all the tone from the amp (i.e. flat on the desk) if possible. Failing that I'll just use a little EQ at the end to round it off.

Neil K.

NK said:
I try to get all the tone from the amp (i.e. flat on the desk) if possible. Failing that I'll just use a little EQ at the end to round it off.

Neil K.

Do you prefer to dial the tone in while in front of the cab or do you dial in the head setting from the control room listening to the monitors? Thanks.

To avoid *any* spurious vibration I always try to make sure that the cabinet is securely mounted on a wall-mounting bracket. This is usually no higher than 2" above ground level. My preference is that the studio floor is a combination of hardwood and thick carpeting (preferably in alternating 6" squares). That way you get the best of all possible worlds.

Of course there aren't many studios that have rooms that fit that bill, but the ones I work at do, so that works for me.

As far as micing, that depends on what's available and what the cab sounds like. 57s and/or 421s are a good starting point (for me at least).

Neil K.

Cool. I really enjoy how you capture both Cannibal Corpse and Nevermore's guitar tones, so I was rather curious. Is working with seven-strings a big challenge in terms of mix placement as opposed to six-string guitars in terms of mix placement due to the extra low-end?

There's no real difference in the placement. The different tuning obviously needs different EQing, but the mixing is pretty straightforward.

I'm still having a helluva time trying to get the tone I want out of my 5150. I'm not the best guitar player in the world, but I don't think poor playing is to blame...I haven't changed my tubes in at least 5 years, though it really hasn't been played that often in that time, maybe averaged out only 2 or 3 hours a week. You think that could be the problem?

Genius Gone Insane said:
I'm still having a helluva time trying to get the tone I want out of my 5150. I'm not the best guitar player in the world, but I don't think poor playing is to blame...I haven't changed my tubes in at least 5 years, though it really hasn't been played that often in that time, maybe averaged out only 2 or 3 hours a week. You think that could be the problem?

Can't say whether that's your problem, but yes-- change those fuckers. 5 years is a really long time. You should at least change the poweramp tubes.