The Wretched Spawn guitar tone

fade_2_black

Apr 11, 2006
www.keirlefoh.com
Hi Neil,

I only just discovered you had a forum here when searching online for some info on Pat Obrien's Wretched Spawn guitar tone..

Man, what an amazing guitar sound. For me, I wouldn't normally consider this tone to be a conventionally 'nice' tone but for some reason, I really can't get over it. I know (at least a little) what was used from Pat's end but am extremely curious as to what you did at your end with mic selection and processing further down the track..

I have toured with Corpse as FOH engineer throughout Aus/NZ in 2009 and used your TWS tone as a reference point but have to admit I don't think I quite nailed it. Pat had the same rig and I ended up settling on a 57 and 509 - but wasn't quite there!

Any insight to what you did would be greatly appreciated!!

Johnny

I used a 57 on a brand new Crate cab, containing what I would imagine were Celestion Vintage 30s, although it was impossible to tell. That's it. No external EQ for tracking - just Pat's amp (and hands of course). I mixed the record on an SSL 4000E. No additional processing.

Interesting enough this was something I was always wondering about. And the answer is simple - outstandingly good guitar player. crazy haha.