Cannibal Corpse - The Wretched Spawn

I got the promo CD for review yesterday morning, and I gave it a quick listen - the first track sounded cool, but kind of CC-by-numbers, if you see what I mean - the second and third tracks where far better - I agree with the first poster's mention of increased technicality without sacrificing the groove, and Corpsegrinder's vocals are still as brutal, but the lyrics have more clarity somehow.

Oh, and all pre-release copies of The Wretched Spawn have those intermittent beeps - it's an anti-piracy technique.

dill_the_devil said:
Oh, and all pre-release copies of The Wretched Spawn have those intermittent beeps - it's an anti-piracy technique.

Beeps? The only thing that's wrong with my copy is that it just skips in some parts of some of the songs. Or is that the beeps you're mentioning? :)

On my copy, every few seconds on all but three of the tracks, there is a short beep which interrupts the music - this happens five or six times on every song except three, and the music plays perfectly before and after the beeps - it's just something Metal Blade have done to discourage piracy. The beep-less tracks are Severed Head Stoning, Cyanide Assassin and They Deserve To Die, although I wouldn't be surprised if Metal Blade have several versions of the promo CD out with different uninterrupted tracks. :D

Hm. That's strange. I don't have any beeps at all on mine. Nor have I got the track "They Deserve To Die" on mine. Hm. I guess I shouldn't talk too much about having downloaded a Metal Blade record (they're in the RIAA, I think), even though it's still legal to download mp3s and movies in Norway (although it's just a matter of time before it'll be illegal, I think).

It could be that some people have compiled all the tracks that are uninterrupted (if the promos have had different uninterrupted songs) and served them as the whole album. With the songs i've got, there's no beeps, just bad digital editing, so the music skips like hell instead. =)

SculptedCold said:
Tomb of the Mutilated is one of my least favourites. =)

In my most humble opinion, not only is Tomb of the Mutilated Cannibal Corpse's best CD, it is firmly within the top 5 death metal CD's EVER.

Gory Elephant said:
In my most humble opinion, not only is Tomb of the Mutilated Cannibal Corpse's best CD, it is firmly within the top 5 death metal CD's EVER.

I feel the same way. Why not post your top 5 death metal records in the Death Metal thread?

SculptedCold said:

nay. Butchered at Birth is comparable to Tomb of the Mutilated much as a big steaming pile of turd would be comparable to a big slice of pepperoni and sausage pizza served with a tall glass of beer.

nay, Tomb of the Mutilated begins with a strong, albeit uncharacteristic (of CC up until that point) song, and then proceeds to confusedly grind away in previous stylings while attempting to refer back to Hammer Smashed Face with the complimentary catchy riffs and tempo alterations. It's a cycle that repeats itself from track to track and expands their sound superficially but fails in some degree to cement the mix together into an interesting and exciting album; it neither reaches the ferocious brutality of BaB or the carefully crafted catchiness of its own opening track. The result to my ears is an ambitious but ultimately boring album.

Disagreed. True, it can at times be hard to tell some of the songs from one another, but that's also the case in for instance Vile, Bloodthirst and Gore Obsessed.

I mean, come on, Hammer Smashed Face! Followed up by the possibly even better I Cum Blood! The riffs are simply amazing, so is the energy, brutality and the (for me) oh-so-important flow! Beyond The Cementary has got one of the best intros in DM history. Entrails Ripped From A Virgin's Cunt smokes, so does the incredible Post Mortal Ejaculation. And of course Addicted To Vaginal Skin.. I think that all (at least 6 out of 8) of the songs has killer riffs, great gutteral vocals and a very fitting production too.