Cannibal Corpse - The Wretched Spawn

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Cannibal Corpse - The Wretched Spawn
2004 - Metal Blade Records
By Philip Whitehouse

wretched100.jpg

Go to the Metal Blade Records website.

That time has come again - death metal's most succesful, long-lasting and consistent and act have released a new album. This means that all over the world, critics are alternatively sharpening their superlatives or preparing their 'it sounds exactly the same as all the other albums' invective, German authorities are about to ban another splendidly gruesome album cover, die-hard fans are counting their pennies and Metal Blade are sending the promotions department into paroxysms of over-worked stress.

So, with all this going on, the most important question is often not pondered over seriously - is the album any good? Well, I'll lay out my stall right here - Cannibal Corpse have always been one of those take-it-or-leave-it bands for me - I've enjoyed everything I've heard by them, but never been compelled to fanboy-worship of them. 'Hammer Smashed Face' could be used as the definitive death metal track, and 'Dormant Bodies Bursting' from last album 'Gore Obsessed' possibly has the catchiest chorus in the genre. But I'e just never been amazed by the band.

So it comes as something of a pleasure to relate that Cannibal Corpse have finally won me over completely with 'The Wretched Spawn'. Admittedly, Neil Kernon's somewhat dry production was a source of consternation for a minute or two, especially considering the thick, suffocating mix given to 'Gore Obsessed', but then the riffs kicked in, and I was hooked. 'Severed Head Stoning' rolls on like an out-of-control steamroller, flattening everything in its path, 'Decency Defied' starts off with riffs seemingly handed down directly from whatever deity governs death metal musicians, 'The Wretched Spawn' contains a heavy-as-fuck passage around the three minute mark with Corpsegrinder growling 'it...was...made...to...DIEEEEEE' over a chugging, monstrous riff.

The critics who say that each Cannibal Corpse album sounds the same are kind of missing the point - rather than wimping out for commercial success, dabbling with experimentational albums or generally messing up the formula, Cannibal Corpse have been gradually honing and perfecting their sound since the first album, and 'The Wretched Spawn' is the best representation yet of that sound. Take the sheer brutality of 'The Bleeding', the increased technicality of 'Gore Obsessed' and add to that the confidence that comes with being the most respected and successful purveyor of death metal ever, and this is the result.

Essential for death metal fans, and a worthy addition to CC's already impressive discography. I'm off to order copies of their older albums now...

9/10

Nice one, and yes, anyone who says "Corpse all sounds the same" is missing the point.

Vile is still hands down my favorite Corpse album though, no matter how good the last 3 have been. :)

they may never top bloodthirst as far as im concerned, but this kills gore obsessed. the production on that album totally killed any energy it may have had. this one sounds bigger and better, and the songs are quite satisfyingly technical, overall faster, and brutal as fuck. plus the dvd doesnt try too hard, i get tired of bands putting out "artistic" dvds with no budget and no vision. show me the band playing the songs and for Gods sake synch the audio and video up. they did it right. awesome album.

I totally agree... Bloodthirsty is a legendayr deathmetal album that rocks the cocks off anyone who listens to it! this new album is almost as good though, it has such a crunchy sound, comparable with that of Bloodthirsty. although it still had the immense blasts of speed that cannibal corpse are renound for. It rules baisically. Cant wait to see them on tour!!!

What can I say? How about great fukin album!! The music and lyrics are as usual...brutal and intense. Also the dvd is pretty good. Watching Pat and Paul play Frantic Disembowelment is amazing. It blew my mind!! It looks like they're playing in fast forward. The cover is nice and sick..I wouldn't expect anything else. 10/10

This album is great. I like the cover a lot...maybe more then most of the others, or more. Severed head stoning is really fast and gets you in the mood for this album. Festering in the crypt was awesome. Slow but a good song. The Wretched Spawn's lyrics get stuck in your head. Decency Defied was a catchy song to me. Frantic Disembowlment is insane. Bent backwards and broken the guitar was complicated if you watch the DVD that comes with it(or most, not sure if all of them do) he said he had to record four guitar tracks that we all exactly alike.

This album will go down in corpse history with me like Tomb of the mutilated, Bloodthirst, The Bleeding, Butchered at birth....

I thought this one wasn't gonna be ace, as I have to say I thought gore obsessed was adequate by their standards, but this album should definately be held up along side bloodthirsty. they are playing in my neighbouring town next month... OH YEAH. cant wait to hear it all again live. will they be better than kataklysm though (supports)?

I must be crazy because I didn't really like Bloodthirst and I thought Gore Obsessed was the best album since Tomb of the Mutilated. :loco: It's all about opinion anyway...

I dig the Wretched Spawn. It's technical and brutal with some catchy parts. It shows that Cannibal isn't slouching after 15 years.

One more thing...If you have an XboX and own GTA3, burn this album onto your XboX and then your able to listen to it on the last radio station in your car. Great for those late night killing sprees! :Spin:

death metal sucks, if they sang it would be kick ass, its music is great, the singing is horrible, it's as simple as that

Vocals suck huh? Is it me or to people seem to not understand that extreme music needs extreme vocals. What are the alternatives?

Let's see...

Contemporary"radio" rock is filled with whiny no-talent sound-alikes.

Modern metal...lots of 'out-of-key' screaming that has nothing musical about it whatsoever.

Prog/classic type metal...these guys can sing, but the brutality of the music would be lost if applied to Cannibal Corpse.

Fisher's got the best vocals compared to any metal band out there. There are lots of bands that try to do extreme death metal vocals that don't even come close to Fisher. They either sound weak or artifical (i.e., processed). Keep it up Corpsegrinder...you're the man.

I would call this album a mix of bloodthrist and gore obbessed. I takes the insane technical aspect of bloodthrist and mixes it up with the more straightfoward aspects of gore obsessed to make a perfect balance. It think it was a wise move since corpse seems to have fans who favor each style, this should please both.

PS Im crushed that Jack Owen has left corpse! I cant stand people accusing the band of rehashing their material or "doing nothing new". Jack is a great guitarist whose been coming up with great ideas for years now. People accuse corpse of stagnating after all hes done, Id probably get sick of the genre too and leave. Why must metal fans slag every release that comes out these days? Jack leaving has made me realize that we should respect the veterans while theyre still here because they probably wont be around for much longer(imagine 60 year old Trey and Sandoval?). I, for one, dont know how the band will carry on without him.

Listen to Decency Defied and Slain again and really ask yourself if Pat nowadays is an essential songwriting element of Cannibal Corpse.

Better yet, listen to them 5 times in a row each. Chances are you'll be tearing your hair out or falling asleep.

I respect Jack and he's done some great work in CC, but as far as songwriting goes, I think it's a good thing he's going. Hopefully some fresh talent can come in with new ideas.